To tell or not to tell?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

H2Andy:
yes, but assuming that you have legal recourse, do you waive it or are you estopped if you provided false information?
I doubt it, especially if you're older'n dirt and claim old-timer's disease, or CRS...
"Huh?"
"What form?"
"Meds? Ask my wife."
Rick :)

Rick Murchison:
I doubt it, especially if you're older'n dirt and claim old-timer's disease, or CRS...
"Huh?"
"What form?"
"Meds? Ask my wife."
Rick :)
That is SO true!! When I'm getting info from a patient to send with the ambulance, I get this a lot:

Sir - do you take any medications on a regular basis?
Yes
Do you know what they are?
I don't know, ask my wife.
OK, but she's not home right now, do you know what they're for?
No, my wife keeps track of all that.
Well, sir, do you have a history of any medical problems?
Oh yeah, I'm always taking medicines for something or other...

miguel sanz:
About the insurance company, I don´t think it´s stated that you have to inform everyone on your medical conditions, if your doctor knows and lets you dive, your insurance should cover you independently of what non-medical people you told, or even lied. It´s different for the operator insurance, but everybody should have their owns.
So it makes no difference if the above shared knowledge could save your life?

Snowbear:
To those who take meds with significant potential side effects (i.e. drowsiness/dizziness) or to treat or control significant conditions(i.e. seizures, cardiac conditions, diabetes) - do you let your buddy know? I can understand not letting the dive op know - it's your choice to dive and really none of their business.

my wife dont dive but is with me when i do and she does know everything that i take. LOL, just like in your next post that you made... ask my wife, she knows more about it than i do. :) normally i dive with a buddy that i have known for close to 20 years and we are good friends, he does know what and why i take what i do and he has no problem at all with it. IMHO as long as my docs (3 total and 1 is a diver) have cleared me to dive and my dive buddy knows what is going on, i dont think its anybody elses business.

steve

steve

Lots of interesting talk here, but in 2 out of 3 ambulance cases on my trip, the divers were found unconscious, no wife or buddy around, no time to search log books, etc.

The question in my mind is why is everyone so resistant to the idea of spending $5 on Custom Dog Tags and wearing them on dives & trips...? Am I missing something?

don

DandyDon:
The question in my mind is why is everyone so resistant to the idea of spending $5 on Custom Dog Tags and wearing them on dives & trips...? Am I missing something?

No resistance to the idea of tags at all - I think they're a great idea. I wear a DAN tag whenever I'm in the water. Even though they cost a little more than your dog tags, they have a lot more information on them and they come in such pretty colors. :wink:

Now lets toss in another fly to the buttermilk Where would HIPPAA compliance take these senarios. Start signing your waivers in the early AM and bring a back up light cause youll probably be making a night dive

DandyDon:
Lots of interesting talk here, but in 2 out of 3 ambulance cases on my trip, the divers were found unconscious, no wife or buddy around, no time to search log books, etc.

don
I'm not seeing that resistance here, Don - the resistance seems to be to revealing personal medical information to someone who has no business knowing it. Tags on the person (not just the BC) are a good idea - at minimum, they will be found by a competant EMS crew.

quimby:
Now lets toss in another fly to the buttermilk Where would HIPPAA compliance take these senarios. Start signing your waivers in the early AM and bring a back up light cause youll probably be making a night dive
Since they are intended for the confidentiality of personal health information as given to a medical treatment provider and the billing that goes with it, I would be willing to wager HIPAA laws break down outside of the medical community. If you reveal medical information to a buddy or dive operator, they can blab to anyone. I would hope most dive ops would protect their reputation by NOT revealing personal information about their customers. If you ask them to keep it confidential, hopefully they will unless and until it's needed in a medical emergency.

Here's a link to more information than you ever wanted to know about HIPAA :wink:

quimby:

this is where i start sipping the hemlock

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom