To split or not to split that is the question...?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

What do you mean by precision positioning? I have done a penetrating wreck dive with out any issue in my split. I didnt really have any issues overkicking and finding myself running into anything. I will admit there hasnt been much silt in the area so I haven noticed anything causing low visibility. I have seen some fins weigh a ton and others are light. other than boyency does the weight of the fin make a difference performance wise?

I dive splits (joints can't handle jets anymore), and can easily avoid silting the place up, however it does take practice and awareness and a little more care of where your feet are and where the "fin exhaust" is heading.

OTOH, no matter how hard I try, they're just too soft and sloppy for a usable back-kick, and they do lack "precision" simply because your foot needs to travel 6"-8" or so before the business end of the fin actually starts generating thrust (it needs to flex almost it's entire range of motion in one direction or the other before things start happening)

They're great for what they do well and not great for what they don't.

I like them because they let me continue diving, however I do have to say that on days when all my joints are feeling happy, I'll grab some jets out of rental, and really do enjoy having precise control of my position and movement.

Like everything else in life, splits, jets and all the others are a bag full of compromises.

flots.

After this weekend’s adventure I have decided that I need to get new fins with an open back. As my current fins do not allow me to wear a dive boot with them. (see below )

I will normally dive however this past weekend I went snorkeling at one of the beaches that have volcanic rock leading directly to the water given the fact that my boots would not fit in my fins (not designed for that) I quickly learned the value of fins that allow you to wear your boots. So far I have been impressed what open heeled backs my buddy has but I would like to consult the masses to see if there are any better options.
My current split fins are nice and I have never had any issues with them. That being said they are light, sturdy and from what I have been told reduce the effort I have to exert thus saving air. I have never had any issues with cramps or air consumption so I don’t know if this is because of my fins or im just an efficient breather.
I am currently diving in 80+ degree water in East Africa but come October I will be going back to the states for good and will be doing most of my diving in the brisk (to me) waters of Lake Michigan and other diving spots focused around Northwest Indiana where I will be needing some protection from the cold elements (if that helps you any)
I do travel with my job quite a bit (the reason I am in Africa) so I will be taking my fins with me on majority of my assignments longer than a few weeks thus something light is in my best interest.
Given my “usage” style and relocation what types of things should I be looking at? I have seen people on here bashing split fins but I haven’t had any issues with them. But then again I have less than 50 dives under my errr weight belt and they are all that I have used so I don’t know what I am missing out on. If you would be willing to assist me and open my eyes I would be greatly appreciated.

The title indicates you're debating about split vs solid. However, from what I read in your post the concern is really open heel vs full foot fins. You can get split open heel fins, and regular open heel fins. I've never actually seen someone on a dive with me use the kind with the closed heel; although one LDS I frequent does sell such a fin.

The pic you posted appears to be of oceanic vortex V6 full foot fins. Oceanic makes Vortex V12 and V16 open heel split fins that are similar to what you've already got.
fins_v16_blue_springstrap1_1.jpg

If you did intend to debate split fin vs solid, please excuse my error.

Sounds like you may need 2 pairs: light one for travelling and heavy ones for cold water (maybe multiple tank) diving at home... Have Heard good things of F2 and they may fit the bill all round

As long as your foot is the size of a Sasquatch or you're wearing snow boots. I really like these fins I just wish the foot pocket wasn't so gargantuan.

---------- Post added September 3rd, 2013 at 08:19 PM ----------

I should add that's the case if you have small feet, the small size is definitely not small.

I use SP Jet Fins for all my diving and I love them. I would buy another set in heart beat but I dont think I ever will need to!

I'm definitely a paddle fin convert. I gave up the splits when I started pushing double sets and deco bottles around and I've never looked back. There is a set of Oceanic V-12s sitting in my locker that only get the dust knocked off them when I loan them out. My current fins are OMS slipstreams. Yes, paddle fins are harder to kick when going full out, but you also start moving with the flick of an ankle, don't have to kick as hard, and the control is superb. The back kick which eluded me with my splits suddenly became easy.

I weighed the decision for over a year before going with a split fin. I used to dive with US Divers (Aqualung) Blades but on occasion experienced leg cramps. I bought a pair of Apollo Bio-Fins about 10 years ago and have stuck with them ever since. Generally we don't experience strong current here, and I do notice the difference on the occasions where it kicks up. However, I have powerful German legs (tree stumps) that drive the Bio-Fins well. However, when traveling internationally, I pack my Blades as they are much lighter.

After this weekend’s adventure I have decided that I need to get new fins with an open back. As my current fins do not allow me to wear a dive boot with them. (see below )

I will normally dive however this past weekend I went snorkeling at one of the beaches that have volcanic rock leading directly to the water given the fact that my boots would not fit in my fins (not designed for that) I quickly learned the value of fins that allow you to wear your boots. So far I have been impressed what open heeled backs my buddy has but I would like to consult the masses to see if there are any better options.
My current split fins are nice and I have never had any issues with them. That being said they are light, sturdy and from what I have been told reduce the effort I have to exert thus saving air. I have never had any issues with cramps or air consumption so I don’t know if this is because of my fins or im just an efficient breather.
I am currently diving in 80+ degree water in East Africa but come October I will be going back to the states for good and will be doing most of my diving in the brisk (to me) waters of Lake Michigan and other diving spots focused around Northwest Indiana where I will be needing some protection from the cold elements (if that helps you any)
I do travel with my job quite a bit (the reason I am in Africa) so I will be taking my fins with me on majority of my assignments longer than a few weeks thus something light is in my best interest.
Given my “usage” style and relocation what types of things should I be looking at? I have seen people on here bashing split fins but I haven’t had any issues with them. But then again I have less than 50 dives under my errr weight belt and they are all that I have used so I don’t know what I am missing out on. If you would be willing to assist me and open my eyes I would be greatly appreciated.

fins_v6_blue__00952.1377191841.300.300.jpg
I found that when I started diving with a drysuit I could really tell that my split fins didn't give me much power in the water. The extra drag of the drysuit was enough to make the split fins completely worthless. I switched to a paddle-type fin and I'm much happier with them. Lots more power and I have the ability to back-fin and frog-kick more effectively.

---------- Post added September 5th, 2013 at 08:38 AM ----------

As long as your foot is the size of a Sasquatch or you're wearing snow boots. I really like these fins I just wish the foot pocket wasn't so gargantuan.

---------- Post added September 3rd, 2013 at 08:19 PM ----------

I should add that's the case if you have small feet, the small size is definitely not small.
I found a great knock-off Hollis in CA that came in my ( XS) size. Unfortunately, they have no name printed on them. So, I could never find them again if I wanted to replace them. Nevertheless, they are great fitting and I live them. How did I ever live without a spring strap.
OP-you will want the spring straps. Especially diving cold water with thick exposure protection.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom