To split or not to split that is the question...?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I really don't understand the nonsense about split vs single blade fins. There are some reasons to dive with each. I use my single blade (original US Divers Blades) fins when I'm traveling because they are powerful in a current and they are lightweight for travel. I use my Apollo Bio-Fins for local diving because they feel great and my legs don't cramp up. Of course I'm knock-kneed so I don't do frog kicks.

Bill, my understand is that all splits are not created equal. The Apollo, Atomic, and Scubapro are better than the others

Hi,

I've used both splits and non-splits and, in my dotage, tend to prefer splits.

However, whatever fins you choose, let me make one modest suggestion: add some spring straps to them. These are the easiest straps to both put on and remove. I first got wind of these from the DIR folks and gave them a try: they were worth the price of admission. This is especially true in the case of shore dives where surf or surge makes entry-reentry a "fun' experience. And, I found them to be preferable for boat dives, as well.

joewr

In my experience there is no fin that is either right or wrong for everybody. Its all about finding the one that is best for you - taking into account comfort, fit and your own kicking style and leg strength. Its also worth thinking about what type of diving you'l be doing. Split fins for example are not generally good for strong currents. Also consider how easy they are to travel with. If you're going to be packing them in and out of dive bags or travelling regularly anything with vents or spring systems will show signs of wear and tear and break in a much shorter time frame than solid fins.

Most of all, regardless of all you advice and warning you are given about certain fin choices, it comes down to comfort and personal preferences - but make sure you get what you want rather than what will do, or what saves you a few extra dollars. Remember you will be underwater with whichever fins you choose for a fair amount of time, and you don't want to be distracted by ill fitting and uncomfortable dive gear rather than enjoying your dives.

Good luck!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom