To split or not to split that is the question...?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

printingfreak

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
After this weekend’s adventure I have decided that I need to get new fins with an open back. As my current fins do not allow me to wear a dive boot with them. (see below )

I will normally dive however this past weekend I went snorkeling at one of the beaches that have volcanic rock leading directly to the water given the fact that my boots would not fit in my fins (not designed for that) I quickly learned the value of fins that allow you to wear your boots. So far I have been impressed what open heeled backs my buddy has but I would like to consult the masses to see if there are any better options.
My current split fins are nice and I have never had any issues with them. That being said they are light, sturdy and from what I have been told reduce the effort I have to exert thus saving air. I have never had any issues with cramps or air consumption so I don’t know if this is because of my fins or im just an efficient breather.
I am currently diving in 80+ degree water in East Africa but come October I will be going back to the states for good and will be doing most of my diving in the brisk (to me) waters of Lake Michigan and other diving spots focused around Northwest Indiana where I will be needing some protection from the cold elements (if that helps you any)
I do travel with my job quite a bit (the reason I am in Africa) so I will be taking my fins with me on majority of my assignments longer than a few weeks thus something light is in my best interest.
Given my “usage” style and relocation what types of things should I be looking at? I have seen people on here bashing split fins but I haven’t had any issues with them. But then again I have less than 50 dives under my errr weight belt and they are all that I have used so I don’t know what I am missing out on. If you would be willing to assist me and open my eyes I would be greatly appreciated.

fins_v6_blue__00952.1377191841.300.300.jpg

Just say no to split fins. Hope this helps. :)

It all depends on what you want from a fin. Splits reduce kicking effort but make precise positioning more difficult, and also make it more difficult to control the vortices of water going off the fin, so they don't work terribly well in silty conditions (unless you don't care what you do to the viz). Paddles will give you more thrust to push a dry suit through the water, but will increase kicking effort to some degree. However, they also make the precision kicks easier, and allow you to dive close to a silty bottom without disturbing it. They're also often cheaper.

What do you mean by precision positioning? I have done a penetrating wreck dive with out any issue in my split. I didnt really have any issues overkicking and finding myself running into anything. I will admit there hasnt been much silt in the area so I haven noticed anything causing low visibility. I have seen some fins weigh a ton and others are light. other than boyency does the weight of the fin make a difference performance wise?

What do you mean by precision positioning? I have done a penetrating wreck dive with out any issue in my split. I didnt really have any issues overkicking and finding myself running into anything. I will admit there hasnt been much silt in the area so I haven noticed anything causing low visibility. I have seen some fins weigh a ton and others are light. other than boyency does the weight of the fin make a difference performance wise?

Ever tried frog kicks, back kick or turning 360 on the spot with split fins? Nearly impossible.
I love my Apollo Bio-Fins Pro Split but after using a mates OMS Jetstreams and feeling how much more control and 'precision positioning', I have ditched the split fins for wreck diving and am deciding on either Hollis F1 or F2s.
-Mike

In general terms, split fins are sloppy and, as mentioned, do not lend themselves to precise movement... and I doubt your wreck penetration was any better than a half-dozen or so folks I have seen trying to cleanly navigate wrecks in that type of fin... they did not do a good job at all.

MIKE... F1s are pretty good. F2s are the best travel fin I have found. A bit small to push a CCR and two bailout bottle against the flow in a cave but pretty good for most other stuff. Would recommend them.

MY F1s were OK but they ripped after using them for a year and when I switched out to lighter fins I realized that they were making my feet too heavy and not the best static trim for me. They are also expensive fins. My Hog Tech II fins are a bit lighter and better for me for trim and lighter on the wallet to boot.

I was also pleasantly surprised with my backup fins: ScubaPro Sport Jets. They were a lot lighter and trim was good as was frog, helicopter and back kicks. The only knock was that after F1s it felt like I wasn't wearing any fins at first.

There's no way on earth I'll ever dive split fins again. I wish I could go back to Virginia and chew out the dive shop owner who lied to me and said "these are the best fins in the world and you'll never need another pair again.".

Sadly I met a new diver the other day who was told pretty much the same thing by an LDS. I'll keep my mouth shut though since I need his compressor still.

Heavier fins require more leg strength.

Ever tried frog kicks, back kick or turning 360 on the spot with split fins? Nearly impossible.
I love my Apollo Bio-Fins Pro Split but after using a mates OMS Jetstreams and feeling how much more control and 'precision positioning', I have ditched the split fins for wreck diving and am deciding on either Hollis F1 or F2s.
-Mike
Bullcrap. Frogkicks and 360s work fine with splitfins. If you cant do it, sorry to say, your technique is lacking.
What I havent been able to make work well with splits is back kicks. That could be due to my technique, but I suspect not as Im yet to see someone do them well with splits.

As to the claim that splits is the same as instant siltout - also bull**** as long as you know how to frog kick..

Bullcrap. Frogkicks and 360s work fine with splitfins. If you cant do it, sorry to say, your technique is lacking.
What I havent been able to make work well with splits is back kicks. That could be due to my technique, but I suspect not as Im yet to see someone do them well with splits.

As to the claim that splits is the same as instant siltout - also bull**** as long as you know how to frog kick..

I meant not as effective and powerful (frog kick and 360's) as with paddle fins.

Back
Top Bottom