Hollis F2 splitting

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mariner156

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Anyone had this issue or am I the only one? The fins are only a year or two old with probably around 100 dives on them. I was on a liveaboard trip and noticed a small crack forming, by the end of the trip it was a big crack. I didn't thing that solid rubber fins really failed, especially when they are still relatively new. According to Hollis I must have flexed them too much and since I couldn't produce a receipt they couldn't do anything. I didn't know that someone with bad knees could kick a "tech" fin hard enough to break them.... Who would have thought it :rolleyes:

On a side note has anyone ever had any success repairing something similar?

Attachments

• 20231226_172829.jpg
    20231226_172829.jpg
    52.1 KB · Views: 34
Were they stored in a garage or near fuel containers per chance?

Nope they lived in a Rubbermaid tub in my bedroom

Does the store that you bought them from not have a record of your transaction? Seem fairly new...

I've seen that happen on two or three sets, not sure what's caused it. I have a pair of F2's that I use for everything and have yet to have an issue.
Out of curiosity how much do you flutter kick vs frog kick?

Probably 80% flutter and that's mainly a modified flutter. I don't frog kick a lot my knees really don't like it.
Sorry should have said monoprene.

The f2 was a pretty direct copy of the APS Mantaray fin. It was reported to be stiffer than the APS. Perhaps the older design had trouble with the added stress of a more rigid material.

Back
Top Bottom