To split or not to split that is the question...?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I love these fin threads .
I use Jet Fins and Apollo Bio Splits . Depends on what I am doing and which suit I am using .
I can use all forms of kicking with each fin . I have never had a problem frog kicking with my splits .
I am very different from most divers , in strong current I want my splits , easy water I want my Jets .
Love them both , can switch between dives without a hitch , I guess I am a "Hybrid Finman" fins 002.JPG

Trade in one of the aqua ones? :p

I love these fin threads .
I use Jet Fins and Apollo Bio Splits . Depends on what I am doing and which suit I am using .
I can use all forms of kicking with each fin . I have never had a problem frog kicking with my splits .
I am very different from most divers , in strong current I want my splits , easy water I want my Jets .
Love them both , can switch between dives without a hitch , I guess I am a "Hybrid Finman"
Where'd you get the pink fins? I really like them!

I have some 20+ year old pink Sherwoods around somewhere. Probably worth big money nowadays. Matching mask too, even more valuable as the set. :D

Just say no to split fins! Not everyone is Tigerman.

I was about to say "back to the 80s" but damn, thats more like 25 years by now :eek:

You dont stop immediately with paddle fins either, you have kinetic energy that need to dissipate before you stop... (unless you take active action to slow yourself down/stop)

That is correct. But a diver going full speed with paddles will stop earlier than a guy going full speed with splits and I would not be surprised if the guy with paddles achieves better speed in this experiment.

Now paddles are even better than splits at STOPPING. Thanks for the chuckle.

If you throw in a back kick to stop your forward progress, then yes...if drifting to a stop, then no

I have both styles, but mainly use my Atomic Splits. I mostly do reef drift dives and wrecks in South Florida, and I usually do multiple dives daily for a week to ten days straight on these out of state diving trips. I’m 48 years old with skinny legs and banged up joints, and the splits let me crank out dive after dive in a row indefinitely. However, if I actually lived in South Florida and only dove a few times per week on a regular basis, I would mothball the splits in a heartbeat.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom