To split or not to split that is the question...?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

split fins are for strokes. they are a solution in search of a problem. anyone who dives split fins does not know how to dive and should be avoided at all cost.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I've got lots of fins, one pair of which is split fins, and I mostly keep that pair around as rental fins for people who need them. Essentially I recommend full blade paddle fins as the default fin style, and I only suggest split fins for people who have leg joint problems or frequent leg cramps. There's simply less water resistance with the splits than with full blade fins, and if split fins are the best tool for these divers, then they should spend the extra money to get them. But for most people, full blade paddle fins work as well or better in ordinary diving conditions. It is possible to learn a variety of kick styles using split fins--frog kicks and heli turns included.

split fins are for strokes. they are a solution in search of a problem. anyone who dives split fins does not know how to dive and should be avoided at all cost.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Nonesense.

---------- Post added September 17th, 2013 at 05:09 AM ----------

Just realized you could be joking, if so I apologize. If not, my comment stands.

Let me know were you work, so I can be sure I don't accidentally bring you any split fin customers.

Funny, I don't like splits but I keep my mouth shut. I cry when I see people silting up the bottom with them and I smile when I see someone rocking the frog kick with them. To each his own.

Some jack ass on my last trip looked at my Hog Tech II fins and cracked "Man, how do you use such short fins?" I just replied with a look of disdain on my face "Well, I put them on my feet and then I kick." He followed up with "Well, I know that much." and I just replied "Every piece of equipment I dive with is chosen for a reason. I can explain it if you don't understand." That was the last I heard from him.

If a person has cramping, knee pain or other physical reasons causing them to consider split fins, then instead they should look to Mares Volo which will alleviate every one of those concerns.

Just say NO to split fins!

Spilts will kill you. I've been trying to get my wife into a pair for years.
(kidding of course, on both accounts).

Wear whatever you want. I've seen just as many crappy divers dressed up in BPWs and Jet fins as I have in generic recreational gear.

I would love to see a video demonstrating good frogkick using split fins.

I currently use Poseidon jetfins but I lost one during a trip, so I am looking at the Bio Fins right now. But I mostly do frogkick, and I prefer minimize my body movement underwater, and I also need precision and back-kick. So I wonder if split fins will fit my style.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom