Tiger Shark

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ReefGuy:
Yes, you can bet where there's fresh water in Florida, there's alligators, but I'm not sure of the point you're trying to make. Is anyone bitten by a shark while swimming a jack****? How about if you're bitten by a snake while on a nature walk? How about someone killed by a drunk driver? It seems like you're equating victims with stupidity.

What would you do with an alligator that has lost all fear of humans and attacked someone? Leave it alone, until it took someone's kid that was playing in their backyard? Believe it or not, this does happen.

It is hard for a New Englander to understand as we don't have giant lizards eating friends and family. All the big game predators froze to death long ago or moved to Maine and well you just don't have lobster divers in Maine (it is not legal). Oh and to answer your question "what would you do.....?" well it depends on who the kid was. There is this one brat in my neighborhood........Oh never mind.

I am glad you haven't taken the we are in his world side of things. Sorry to disagree with others but it is our world the humans, top of the food chain, do I advocate abusing things weaker than me, NO sir, but we are top dog. The whole "why is it ok to kill a cow but not a bunny" thing is too over done. With good reason it is ok to kill to preserve human life, and it is also ok to kill for a tasty Lobster dinner.

Morpheus:
My point is this, the original post was about the sharks being caught in the "contest" were being killed and that was stupid,to which I replied that at least the sharks are being used for a good cause....science. I stated that senseless killing of animals is what is really stupid, and I used the scenarios I have been listing. All I ws saying that if You are in a particular predators natural habitat,be aware of what may be lurking around the next corner. If you are in the woods on a "Nature walk" and you get bit by a snake,than you get what you deserve. You are not being careful,but Killing the snake is what you are supposed to do because you need to identify the antivenom you need. Killing Gators and sharks because people get attacked is senseless,these people are building homes around the gators natural habitat. they should not be surprised when they get attacked. and this certainly doesnt warrant the slaughter of all the alligators in the surrounding areas. You and I both know there is no parallel between getting attacked by an animal and getting killed by a drunk driver, that was a dumb comparison. You detemine what your surroundings are....if you live in the tornado belt, and your home is destroyed by a tornado...tough,dont live in Florida and be oblivious to Gators and Hurricanes for that matter

People are killing Hurricanes for sport now? When does the carnage end?

Wow, how do I always end up in the posts where everyone's shocked at the killing of a few majestic (insert potentially dangerous species here), and they have nothing but insults for the humans? First, if laws are in effect to protect the populations of these noble predators and these people are not violating the law, why are we crying about it? Secondly, why is there all this outporing of emotion for a shark but not a peep about all the innocent (and just as noble) little fish it ate during its reign of terror on the high seas? I'd say tuna are some pretty magnificent and beautiful residents of the deep, let's start a thread about how them mean ol' sharks need to get on vegetarian diets and quit picking on the poor defenseless tuna! Lastly, I wholeheartedly agree with ScubaNorth: I'm not about abusing anything, but killing to benefit man is just fine.

Analogy time! Yes, killing hundreds of sharks after a shark attack is dumb, much like locking up all the state's gun owners after a shooting. However, if we know who shot someone, (or what shark/alligator/lion/rabid squirrel attacked someone) why not take care of that specific threat? In the broad scheme of things, if one lion or alligator dies because it's been implicated in multiple, or even one attack, is the ecosystem really impacted that much?

Failing that, there's always holding hands and singing kumbaya. :icorolley

ReefGuy:
I'm not against catching sharks, as long as they're used (and believe me, I'm the first to batterup a mako), but I'm not sure how I feel about tournaments. I spear, but don't participate in spearing contests either.

You're in Florida you can dive and fish like oh 12 months out of the year. We are in NE our summer is 4 days long and two of those get rained out. Most of us have to dive in glorified Hefty bags with thermal undies, and become near sighted through the evolutionary process, since we never have more than like 7" of vis on a clear day. We need fishing contest to keep the blood flowing. I would move to Florida but with 200,000 increase in housing units last year, you guys are running out of space, and I'm afraid of Gators and other things that can eat me in two bites.

TheDom:
Wow, how do I always end up in the posts where everyone's shocked at the killing of a few majestic (insert potentially dangerous species here), and they have nothing but insults for the humans? First, if laws are in effect to protect the populations of these noble predators and these people are not violating the law, why are we crying about it? Secondly, why is there all this outporing of emotion for a shark but not a peep about all the innocent (and just as noble) little fish it ate during its reign of terror on the high seas? I'd say tuna are some pretty magnificent and beautiful residents of the deep, let's start a thread about how them mean ol' sharks need to get on vegetarian diets and quit picking on the poor defenseless tuna! Lastly, I wholeheartedly agree with ScubaNorth: I'm not about abusing anything, but killing to benefit man is just fine.

Analogy time! Yes, killing hundreds of sharks after a shark attack is dumb, much like locking up all the state's gun owners after a shooting. However, if we know who shot someone, (or what shark/alligator/lion/rabid squirrel attacked someone) why not take care of that specific threat? In the broad scheme of things, if one lion or alligator dies because it's been implicated in multiple, or even one attack, is the ecosystem really impacted that much?

Failing that, there's always holding hands and singing kumbaya. :icorolley

You are now nominated to be an official NELD. Anyone with such an irreverent attitude is welcome anytime. Just for the record I had a chef salad for lunch, scratch one turkey, one pig, and one unborn chicken form the list of god's creatures presently roaming the wilds.

.............some ones singing lord..............

ScubaNorth:
Just for the record I had a chef salad for lunch, scratch one turkey, one pig, and one unborn chicken form the list of god's creatures presently roaming the wilds.
It's for the best... this is no kind of world to try and raise a chicken in. You try to bring them up right, and in the end they just wind up killing man-eating alligators, air dropping speedy-dry on hurricanes, and sport fishing for sharks.

Nevermind the pigs and turkeys. Delinquent animals like that'll probably just end up huffing paint in the back of the barn anyhow.

TheDom:

And what exactly is CNN supposed to show for 10 days leading up to a hurricane if we kill hurricanes? No more shots of reporters out by the seawall with spray and wind knocking them off their feet? This is madness, what are they going to do with the rookie journalist if there are no big hurricanes anymore? I really like the part about this stuff is 100% safe, of course it was tested by Mr. Phen Phen and Mr. Asbestos so we are sure it is good stuff, let's sprinkle it in the ocean. Hey do you think it would dry up the Ocean?

I agree with you....I'll kill fish, lobsters, etc and eat them merrily....lol...

I just sort of fail to see the fun ( sport) in going after the big sharks.

I have no problem with that, I just think going to ALL that expense and trouble to hook up a big shark is silly and is usually a big macho head trip....... but to each their own! It's probably actually a lot of fun :eyebrow:

That said...I'm going out killing lobsters and spearfishing flounder this weekend!

John C.

After reading this thread Im speachless. My husband thanks you.

Back
Top Bottom