Tiger Shark

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jchaplain:
Morpheus,

It WAS a little fun banter here, but now you've taken it over the edge and started name calling.
Lighten up guy! Geeez!!!!!

The thread should probably be deleted now.

John C.[/QUOTE
Wait....someone calls my post "lame" and I cannot respond??? and I have taken it over the edge????? dont think so.

i guess you're a little touchy. sorry, i did not want to hurt your feelings. don't be so offended. i mentioned the word "lame" but i also said your post was kind of "cute". isn't that nice? i just find it amusing that there is someone out there who truly believes that the purpose of a fishing tournament that calls itself "monster shark derby" is science to help and protect sharks and the feeding of the homeless. it's very touching. peace be with you.

[/QUOTE
Wait....someone calls my post "lame" and I cannot respond??? and I have taken it over the edge????? dont think so.[/QUOTE]

Also, I'd like to mention that I hope I didn't sound offensive about the boaters and shark fishers ( big boats, small $^$%) ..I was just joking around.....heck, I have a big boat too, but I won't comment on my appendage size. :jawsdown: :rolleyes:

:peace2:
JohnC.

docmartin:
i guess you're a little touchy. sorry, i did not want to hurt your feelings. don't be so offended. i mentioned the word "lame" but i also said your post was kind of "cute". isn't that nice? i just find it amusing that there is someone out there who truly believes that the purpose of a fishing tournament that calls itself "monster shark derby" is science to help and protect sharks and the feeding of the homeless. it's very touching. peace be with you.

[/QUOTE
Wait....someone calls my post "lame" and I cannot respond??? and I have taken it over the edge????? dont think so.
[/QUOTE]

docmartin:
i just find it amusing that there is someone out there who truly believes that the purpose of a fishing tournament that calls itself "monster shark derby" is science to help and protect sharks and the feeding of the homeless.
Any of those things may not be THE purpose of the tournament, but they are all purposes of the tournament, as is the excitement of the sport. Massachusetts Marine Fisheries biologists definately do use the tournament as an opportunity to study shark populations and their health, and lots of fresh, edible meat is donated to homeless shelters. I find it amusing that you seem to think the name of the tournament somehow means it can only serve as an excuse for fishermen who want to do some chest pounding.

Here's a excerpt from an article about the tournament that describes some of the reasons the tournament is more scientifically valuable than dissecting incidental bycatch, or just examining any of the many sharks killed elsewhere in the world. It's not like they're trying to learn about shark anatomy or performing an autopsy... they want to know how many of what sort are in the area, how old they are, how they hunt and behave, what they eat, and what trends are indicated by comparing the results to those of tournaments held in previous years at the same time of the year. What motivates the fishermen has little to do with what motivates the biologists.
(http://www.mvgazette.com/news/2005/07/15/monster_shark.php)
~~~~~~~~~~
But for Massachusetts Division of Marine Fisheries biologist Greg Skomal, who studies every shark that is brought in to be weighed, the weekend is more about the science than the slaughter.

"Whether or not it is okay to kill sharks for sport, that's a philosophical discussion," he said. "And as far as the conservation aspect is concerned, this event would not be held if the sharks were in any trouble.

"People have to remember that this is a fishing contest," Mr. Skomal said. "How can you condone the striped bass and bluefish derby and not the Monster Shark tournament?"

Mr. Skomal said the tournament provides data that forms a basis for the state's shark management policy. Along with a research team of state and national fisheries management experts, he extracts samples and performs autopsies on each fish brought in to be weighed.

"The sharks give us almost everything we need in terms of vital information," said Dr. Nancy Kohler, a marine biologist for the National Marine Fisheries Service in Narragansett, R.I. "We get to look into many different areas, from age and growth to reproductive and feeding habits to migration. We have gotten much needed biological information from this tournament."

What each boat releases over the two days is just as important to biologists as what comes in. Unlike other tournaments, the Monster Shark tournament requires each boat to record total catch information - a log of every shark caught and released during the two days. The log - which recorded almost 2,500 sharks last year - helps biologists gauge critical information about the general health of the different populations.

"This lets us generate on an annual basis a relative abundance index, to chart over the years the general health of various shark populations," Mr. Skomal said. "It's a rough cross section, but because it is done every year, we are able to understand any trends, and that is very important in managing them."

Mr. Skomal said recent shark tournaments have given biologists reams of information on the thresher shark. In years past the thresher had been caught with far greater infrequency, but lately it has been some of the more common sharks reeled in. Information obtained from the fish helped create a growth curve that the state now uses to manage the population.

It's a fact Mr. James is quick to emphasize.

"This is not shark extermination weekend on Martha's Vineyard," he said. "I am waste deep in fisheries management and conservation, and I think the limits and regulations we place have in place reflect that."

Scuba65:
I it's just wrong and it bother's me probably more with sharks cause i love them..they are an incredible animal and a very misunderstood creature. people got to remember that we are invading their territory when we go into the ocean's.

This is a great thread. What a massive shark. Just curious Scuba65, if I'm out spear fishing, (snorkeling) and a shark starts hassling me for my fish, do I have to right to shoot him? I mean, you're right, he lives in the ocean and I don't, but I do like to eat fish. And I don't bother him when he's feeding and try to get his fish. He can catch fish easier than I can but he's a fricken lazy ***** trying to get a freebie from me after I do all the work. I say put one in his gills and teach him to hunt his own fish. :D :D

I haven't had to pop one yet, but if I felt threatened, freeshaft to the gills.

Hank49:
This is a great thread. What a massive shark. Just curious Scuba65, if I'm out spear fishing, (snorkeling) and a shark starts hassling me for my fish, do I have to right to shoot him? I mean, you're right, he lives in the ocean and I don't, but I do like to eat fish. And I don't bother him when he's feeding and try to get his fish. He can catch fish easier than I can but he's a fricken lazy ***** trying to get a freebie from me after I do all the work. I say put one in his gills and teach him to hunt his own fish. :D :D

MSilvia:
Here's a excerpt from an article about the tournament that describes some of the reasons the tournament is more scientifically valuable than dissecting incidental bycatch, or just examining any of the many sharks killed elsewhere in the world. It's not like they're trying to learn about shark anatomy or performing an autopsy... they want to know how many of what sort are in the area, how old they are, how they hunt and behave, what they eat, and what trends are indicated by comparing the results to those of tournaments held in previous years at the same time of the year. What motivates the fishermen has little to do with what motivates the biologists.
(http://www.mvgazette.com/news/2005/07/15/monster_shark.php)
~~~~~~~~~~
But for Massachusetts Division of Marine Fisheries biologist Greg Skomal, who studies every shark that is brought in to be weighed, the weekend is more about the science than the slaughter.

"Whether or not it is okay to kill sharks for sport, that's a philosophical discussion," he said. "And as far as the conservation aspect is concerned, this event would not be held if the sharks were in any trouble.

"People have to remember that this is a fishing contest," Mr. Skomal said. "How can you condone the striped bass and bluefish derby and not the Monster Shark tournament?"

Mr. Skomal said the tournament provides data that forms a basis for the state's shark management policy. Along with a research team of state and national fisheries management experts, he extracts samples and performs autopsies on each fish brought in to be weighed.

"The sharks give us almost everything we need in terms of vital information," said Dr. Nancy Kohler, a marine biologist for the National Marine Fisheries Service in Narragansett, R.I. "We get to look into many different areas, from age and growth to reproductive and feeding habits to migration. We have gotten much needed biological information from this tournament."

What each boat releases over the two days is just as important to biologists as what comes in. Unlike other tournaments, the Monster Shark tournament requires each boat to record total catch information - a log of every shark caught and released during the two days. The log - which recorded almost 2,500 sharks last year - helps biologists gauge critical information about the general health of the different populations.

"This lets us generate on an annual basis a relative abundance index, to chart over the years the general health of various shark populations," Mr. Skomal said. "It's a rough cross section, but because it is done every year, we are able to understand any trends, and that is very important in managing them."

Mr. Skomal said recent shark tournaments have given biologists reams of information on the thresher shark. In years past the thresher had been caught with far greater infrequency, but lately it has been some of the more common sharks reeled in. Information obtained from the fish helped create a growth curve that the state now uses to manage the population.

It's a fact Mr. James is quick to emphasize.

"This is not shark extermination weekend on Martha's Vineyard," he said. "I am waste deep in fisheries management and conservation, and I think the limits and regulations we place have in place reflect that."

Not Mr.Skomal in the news again. How do you figure the "State" manages the shark population. Just thinking out loud, the thread is out of control.

Morpheus:
jchaplain:
Morpheus,

It WAS a little fun banter here, but now you've taken it over the edge and started name calling.
Lighten up guy! Geeez!!!!!

The thread should probably be deleted now.

John C.[/QUOTE

Someone’s laughing, lord, kumbaya
Oh lord, kumbaya

Someone’s crying, lord, kumbaya
Oh lord, kumbaya

Go to your happy place........tempers are flaring. 65 plus post don't worry your post isn't lame. All of mine are though. I like sharks but the guys that caught the big one seemed like they were regular decent folk, I reserve judgment.

Hank49:

Maybe it's a reformed shark "fish are friends not food" and he is attempting to liberate Dory or Nemo and not just lazy. Too many people think of these sharks as lazy when they are simpley misunderstood creatures who had a rough childhood.

Back
Top Bottom