Tiger Shark

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jchaplain:
I agree with you....I'll kill fish, lobsters, etc and eat them merrily....lol...

I just sort of fail to see the fun ( sport) in going after the big sharks.

I have no problem with that, I just think going to ALL that expense and trouble to hook up a big shark is silly and is usually a big macho head trip....... but to each their own! It's probably actually a lot of fun :eyebrow:

That said...I'm going out killing lobsters and spearfishing flounder this weekend!

John C.

I like a fair fight, get in the water with the shark and you are allowed to take oh like 12 rows of really sharp teeth or a knife your choice. I've dove with Reef Sharks in the warm waters and that was awsome. They didn't look too hungry and there were about a billion fish around so they could have snacked on a jack or something and they were just cruising along. I think we all know fishing is just a reason to pack a cooler and if you catch a big shark get on the Today Show with Katie.

jchaplain:
and is usually a big macho head trip

or maybe some of us just like fishing.

it's not always about being macho or masking insecurities about one's manhood; like you keep alluding to. there's actually a science and art involved and it can be very stimulating to people that enjoy the outdoors and have a strong sense of adventure.

maybe you're subconsciously projecting your own insecurities onto people you're jealous of? just a thought.

warpig:
or maybe some of us just like fishing.

it's not always about being macho or masking insecurities about one's manhood; like you keep alluding to. there's actually a science and art involved and it can be very stimulating to people that enjoy the outdoors and have a strong sense of adventure.

maybe you're subconsciously projecting your own insecurities onto people you're jealous of? just a thought.

I have been fishing for years and not once have I considered it "macho". It has never made me feel more like a man,thats ridiculous. I agree with You man!.. This shark tournament was for food and science. the 1200lb shark meat was taken to feed the homeless,and the carcass was studied for science. I bet if these scientists needed lobsters and the biggest lobster won a cash prize. every diver on this site would be there....its no different

although i agree that fishing is not necessarily a macho sport - i certainly enjoy catch and release fishing for big game fish - i do find it kind of cute when you say that "this shark tournament was for food and science". give me a break. i bet you anything that few if any of the tournament participants went out there with the motivation to feed the homeless and further shark science. the fact is they want to bag some sharks for the excitement and the thrill of competing. that the meat is going to the homeless is nothing but a nice PR side effect. what are you going to do with thousands of pounds of shark meat anyway? giving it to the homeless just sounds so much nicer than throwing it away. and as far as science, i don't know if dissecting another tiger shark makes us all that much smarter. they are dissecting a dozen of them every month in south africa alone when they get caught in the nets and there is no shortage of shark bycatch in other parts of the world either. it's not difficult to get your hands on a dead shark these days.
so while i do not want to get sentimental about a few sharks getting killed in a tournament - sadly, what difference do those few make when more than 100 million are being slaughtered every year - i do find it a bit lame to come up with this line about food and science. in the end, that is nothing but an effort to make this tournament look better in light of mounting bad publicity because it targets a clearly overfished species. after all, we want to feel good when we pose with that monster shark on the dock. say cheese.

Morpheus:
I have been fishing for years and not once have I considered it "macho". It has never made me feel more like a man,thats ridiculous. I agree with You man!.. This shark tournament was for food and science. the 1200lb shark meat was taken to feed the homeless,and the carcass was studied for science. I bet if these scientists needed lobsters and the biggest lobster won a cash prize. every diver on this site would be there....its no different

you still seem confused; so maybe this explanation will help.

if there was no scienctific research involved, the contest would be catch and release and no sharks would be killed.

because they're being studied by marine biologists; they have to be killed. because they're being killed; they're being fed to the homeless. see how it works?

you're making the arguement that everyone in the tournament is doing so to get a chance to enjoy slaughtering a shark; and in turn using the scientific research/feeding the homeless as an excuse to justify it.

do you honestly think this all a ploy for the mindless, wanton slaughter of sharks?

or maybe it's a fishing tournament with some scientific caveats?

docmartin:
although i agree that fishing is not necessarily a macho sport - i certainly enjoy catch and release fishing for big game fish - i do find it kind of cute when you say that "this shark tournament was for food and science". give me a break. i bet you anything that few if any of the tournament participants went out there with the motivation to feed the homeless and further shark science. the fact is they want to bag some sharks for the excitement and the thrill of competing. that the meat is going to the homeless is nothing but a nice PR side effect. what are you going to do with thousands of pounds of shark meat anyway? giving it to the homeless just sounds so much nicer than throwing it away. and as far as science, i don't know if dissecting another tiger shark makes us all that much smarter. they are dissecting a dozen of them every month in south africa alone when they get caught in the nets and there is no shortage of shark bycatch in other parts of the world either. it's not difficult to get your hands on a dead shark these days.
so while i do not want to get sentimental about a few sharks getting killed in a tournament - sadly, what difference do those few make when more than 100 million are being slaughtered every year - i do find it a bit lame to come up with this line about food and science. in the end, that is nothing but an effort to make this tournament look better in light of mounting bad publicity because it targets a clearly overfished species. after all, we want to feel good when we pose with that monster shark on the dock. say cheese.

warpig:
you still seem confused; so maybe this explanation will help.

if there was no scienctific research involved, the contest would be catch and release and no sharks would be killed.

because they're being studied by marine biologists; they have to be killed. because they're being killed; they're being fed to the homeless. see how it works?

you're making the arguement that everyone in the tournament is doing so to get a chance to enjoy slaughtering a shark; and in turn using the scientific research/feeding the homeless as an excuse to justify it.

do you honestly think this all a ploy for the mindless, wanton slaughter of sharks?

or maybe it's a fishing tournament with some scientific caveats?

I vote for the first one.

ScubaTwo:
I vote for the first one.

if that were true, they would have killed ALL the sharks.. not just a select few.

obviously you're just teasing me though ;-)

scubastew:
I have to agree with morpheus, I dont see a problem with killing sharks for food or science. Seems to me that the shark population has very few natural enemies/preditors and may actually need some reduction in numbers, considering that sharks are so close to shore in Florida. Add in the recent shark attacks in FLA, NJ and SC. Seems like the sharks population may be getting too big for the available food supply and now considering humans as lunch meat...

Lets see according the Pew Report 90% of the large fish population (includes sharks) have been eliminated. Up to 100 million, yes up to 100,000,000 sharks are taken each year, I think it unlikely that the stock needs thining - see here for one of a variety of sources (or just Google "millions of sharks").

The recent shark attacks, while tragic, don't seem out of the norm. I know of no scientist that is suggesting a change of feeding behavior due to reduced fish stocks.

2005 ytd - 35 incidents
2004 74
2003 61
2002 60

docmartin:

If there were no scientific studies to the sharks why even cut them up? why not just drop them off the dock and let the sea creatures eat them? You find it lame that I mention food and science? so would it be better if these sharks were caught and finned? Yeah that would be great...You can believe what You want but you seem like an idiot. Even if they learn a Little about what they are eating,or how healthy they are,leading to how healthy the oceans are,thats enough. I bet you are one of those divers that walk all over the coral thinking its ok because "1000s or coral die each year from people touching it" so that makes it ok....

Morpheus,

It WAS a little fun banter here, but now you've taken it over the edge and started name calling.
Lighten up guy! Geeez!!!!!

The thread should probably be deleted now.

John C.

Morpheus:
If there were no scientific studies to the sharks why even cut them up? why not just drop them off the dock and let the sea creatures eat them? You find it lame that I mention food and science? so would it be better if these sharks were caught and finned? Yeah that would be great...You can believe what You want but you seem like an idiot. Even if they learn a Little about what they are eating,or how healthy they are,leading to how healthy the oceans are,thats enough. I bet you are one of those divers that walk all over the coral thinking its ok because "1000s or coral die each year from people touching it" so that makes it ok....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom