Thoughts on this "entry level" set-up? (I await your slings and arrows!)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

RJP

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Have learned from a few other hobbies the following two immutable truths about buying "gear"...

1.) Whatever it is, avoid entry level and buy the SECOND one first
2.) The most expensive gear is the stuff you buy INSTEAD of what you really wanted

With this in mind - and having completed my OW cert last week - I've just about finalized my decision to assemble the following "entry level" set up:

REGULATOR: Atomic MI
M1.jpg

ALTERNATE: Atomic SS1
SS1.jpg

BCD: SeaQuest Balance
seaquest_bcd2005_03.jpg

COMPUTER: Suunto Cobra Pro-Pak (quick release and compass)
SUUNTO%20COBRA%20Q.jpg

Any final thoughts or suggestions before I head to the LDS with my AmEx? (Beyond the fact that I should get a BP/W set-up instead of a BCD!)

Thanks!

It will serve you well.

the Kraken

with the majority of equipment being on equal plains, all you are paying for is a name and bells'n'whistles. Comfort is the most important factor

I like the reg, I've never dove or met anyone with a Seaquest BCD so can't comment there. Does your local shop do repairs on Seaquest?

I recommend you get a wrist computer. When I first started I wanted a console computer BAD, but my friend was selling his wrist computer so I bought it anyways. I'm so glad I did; reaching for the SPG/Console is a PITA sometimes and with the watch you can easily check it without reaching for anything. Almost everyone I see diving, especially instructors and experienced divers all have watches and swear by them.

I recently found a thread on here that said "What scuba gear do you regret buying?" A handful of people stated they regret buying a console computer instead of a wrist computer.

BrianV:
I like the reg, I've never dove or met anyone with a Seaquest BCD so can't comment there.

I recently found a thread on here that said "What scuba gear do you regret buying?" A handful of people stated they regret buying a console computer instead of a wrist computer.

- Seaquest perfected, if not invented, the BCD as we know it.

- The console is fine. As a new OWer, it will serve your needs. And, that Atomic M1 is what I use.

Not my first choices but solid choices none the less. They will serve you very well. No bows and arrows here. It would be hard to argue the tiny advantages/disadvantages on any one of these pieces vs. the competition. If it fits you, if you like it, if you can get it serviced....buy it.

BTW: Welcome to the "I'm going broke due to my habit" club. :)

daniel f aleman:
- Seaquest perfected, if not invented, the BCD as we know it.

- The console is fine. As a new OWer, it will serve your needs. And, that Atomic M1 is what I use.

I wasn't dogging seaquest just saying why I didn't have a comment. Out of the few dive shops I go to none of them service Seaquest so I just wanted to point that out. I have a Cressi and none of the shops service those either so it's not really a big deal.

RJP3:
Have learned from a few other hobbies the following two immutable truths about buying "gear"...

1.) Whatever it is, avoid entry level and buy the SECOND one first
2.) The most expensive gear is the stuff you buy INSTEAD of what you really wanted

With this in mind - and having completed my OW cert last week - I've just about finalized my decision to assemble the following "entry level" set up:

Any final thoughts or suggestions before I head to the LDS with my AmEx? (Beyond the fact that I should get a BP/W set-up instead of a BCD!)

Thanks!

Oh my gosh. YOU ARE GOING TO DIE.

Now seriously -- YOU ARE GOING TO DIE. Well, at least eventually, but that shouldn't be for many years.

The setup looks good. A lot of it depends on the type of diving you plan on doing as well as the frequency.

I agree with some others that a wrist is better than a console. A single SPG just clips so nicely to a d-ring, but a console, even clipped off is so dangly. I see people that have them clipped and they still seem to hang 5ft below them.

I would be one that says to look into a BP/W. I did, after 50 or so dives in a jacket, and will never go back. I only do rec diving, but diving with BP/W versus a jacket is like night and day. I don't mean night and day on the same planet either. I mean like the difference between day on Mercury and night on Pluto type difference. :D

Well nobody's going to accuse you of cheaping out.

An integrated alternate and inflator control is not my preference. The important thing for you will be to review it's use with buddies trained with and diving standalone alternate second stages.

If you want a computer out of the gate then so be it. I'd be tempted to forego the air integration and have analog back-up gauges for depth and pressure.

What are you doing for exposure protection for NJ diving? A decked out DUI?

Congratulations on your certification. Being able to have local service on all of this stuf is pivotal.

Pete

Back
Top Bottom