Thoughts on this "entry level" set-up? (I await your slings and arrows!)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I own a SeaQuest Pro QD and I love it. I now mostly dive with BP/W but my SeaQuest has served me well. It's very comfortable and has plenty of D rings for gear.

I don't know much about the Atomics M1 but if you're interested in gear reviews on the equipment you plan to purchase you can go to www.scubadiving.com and go to the gear section. The testing is run by "SCUBA LAB" which is somewhat of an industry standard for testing gear.

Just when I thought I had figured it all out, and gotten myself comfortable with the idea of:

- console computer
- integrated alternate

:)

I'm gonna have to rethink some of that I guess!

Main reason for console vs wrist was to avoid cost - and possible problems - wih wireless transmitter. But it sounds like maybe I could go wrist computer and SPG on hose at first. Same number of hoses as with air integrated console, and I could always add the transmitter later. (Still with SPG as back-up if it went screwy.)

As to alternate - what are people's thougts on "short hose alternate" worn on necklace with "long hose" main reg? Reasoning behond integrated alternate was to reduce hose clutter. Would "long/short" be a way to accomplish much of the same benefit?

Thanks in advance - Ray

I use Atomic M1, have 2 Cobras ( and a vytec), and use a similar second air source, the Air2. Am pleased with all of the gear.

RJP3:
Just when I thought I had figured it all out, and gotten myself comfortable with the idea of:

- console computer
- integrated alternate

:)

I'm gonna have to rethink some of that I guess!

Main reason for console vs wrist was to avoid cost - and possible problems - wih wireless transmitter. But it sounds like maybe I could go wrist computer and SPG on hose at first. Same number of hoses as with air integrated console, and I could always add the transmitter later. (Still with SPG as back-up if it went screwy.)

As to alternate - what are people's thougts on "short hose alternate" worn on necklace with "long hose" main reg? Reasoning behond integrated alternate was to reduce hose clutter. Would "long/short" be a way to accomplish much of the same benefit?

Thanks in advance - Ray

There are certainly some things in peoples preferences that are very much "Preferences" as far as set up and I imagine set up for the environments that they are going to be diving. For instance, MANY of us Prefer an integrated alternate because it eliminates the hose clutter. Most of our diving is going to be tropical and very little of it will be technical so it comes down to preference here. If your goal in the next 3 years is to graduate into more technical environments and you are diving cold waters....maybe go with a little different set up. I happen to have an air integrated hoseless wrist mount computer and love the thing and it has never once failed on me. It has also helped me understand my profiles and breathing rates which has also been helpful in learning how to dive more efficiently. I hightly recommend them but again, if my goal was to dive much more technical environments then perhaps I would change some of my set up.

What are your goals? Where do you honestly see yourself diving over the next 3-5 years?

You want an octopus not an Air-2 type second stage only.

I dislike triple consoles - find them very bulk.

Console mounted computers i find horrible, always needs a hand free to hold it where you can read it so on an ascent where you're working a reel, lifting a casualty, using a lift bag you need 3 hands to get data. Nasty Nasty things.

You'll also want a proper SPG for when the battery dies or existing computer floods.

String:
You want an octopus not an Air-2 type second stage only.

I dislike triple consoles - find them very bulk.

Console mounted computers i find horrible, always needs a hand free to hold it where you can read it so on an ascent where you're working a reel, lifting a casualty, using a lift bag you need 3 hands to get data. Nasty Nasty things.

You'll also want a proper SPG for when the battery dies or existing computer floods.

Disagree: but that is all about environments that you might be diving and your preference. For the tropical diving I do I wouldn't use anything else but I do have a different set up for more technical environments with an octo.

Agree but again, I have both.

Maybe. If you are diving within recreational limits and your computer fails...dive over. Nice to have a back up but not required. Again, RECREATIONAL DEPTH's and diving.

If you're diving within recreational depths and your computer fails you still need an analogure depth gauge, an analogue SPG and a watch/timer of sort sort.

Judging an ascent rate without a timing device isnt easy especially if its not practiced. Smallest bubbles isnt a good guide any longer.

The problem with Air-2s is that assume you get the buddy on your main reg (hope its a longer hose than normal or the twist needed to get it the right way up means theyre VERY close... is that on ascent youre breathing and dumping from the same hose. Its fiddly, not fun in a stressful situation especially when trying to hold onto a buddy. Id never recommend to anyone of any level to not have 2 proper second stages. Have an Air-2 if you want as well but dont just have 1 proper reg.

I feel that if you dive recreationally and use the buddy system you can dive with a computer and spg only. Sure having a depth guage would be nice as well, but is it really necessary. If you have a watch/computer failure while you're diving you still have your SPG to tell you your air level. You also have your buddy who can aid you in ascent speed and the safety stop.

Sure it's not bad to have a depth guage as well, but I really don't want a two guage console because of size. If my watch dies while I'm on a dive, well then that's an equipment failure and it's time to end the dive (with your buddy) safely and buy or rent a new computer.

At the risk of sounding DIR.... avoid the console computer and the quick release.

1- Console at the writs for all the very good reasons mentionned in this thread.
2- Quick Release, very practical (in fact not an option if you have a computer on the console) but this is also a point of failure. And think of it, 3000PSI going free when your are facing that failure.... Not worth the risk...

NadMat:
For those of you recomending wrist computers, are you using air integrated wrist computers? Seems to me you got to check your SPG anyway, so check your depth, time etc at same time. But if can check your air on wrist then can see point more clearly.

Only computer I have currently is the organic one in my head, and am using SPG and depth gauge in a console, wrist mounted compass. I just plan my dive and dive my plan.

But am considering going digital, if for no other reason than I am a technology freak.:wink:

Will probably go with a wrist unit first but eventually plan on going to air integrated wrist plus air integrated console (belt and suspenders)
I am a little leary of the air integrated wrist units as have worked with numerous wireless technologies in non diving related fields and know they can be adversely affected by a lot of different factors.

also, have been diving with console now for about 27 years and never found it cumbersome. seems easier than checking wrist for depth and othere info and then having to check spg, but is only my .02

Yes, without air integration you still have to check your air at your hip. The problem I have seen with integrated computers is you can easily pay $300-700 more for just that option. The computer you get will do little more than a non-air integrated one. Now here comes the problem. You CAN have interference and lose the signal (no air pressure). It costs more to calibrate than an analog gauge. Electronic gauges can fail instantly whereas analog ones tend to give you symptoms of failing over a long time. The transmitter can be costly to replace and easy to damage.

Heck, analog guages are so cheap ($80-120), that I carry a spare one (hose and all) in my bag. I would much rather be at depth and look at my wrist to see my computer is dead, start for the surface and know how much air I have than the same scenario and not know how much air I had left either.

Back
Top Bottom