Thoughts on this set up vs renting

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Not sure why you think you’d need to unscrew things to swap tanks. It’s the same as a jacket bcd. Your statement might be true for the regs..but they’re simple regs to work on and you can order kits from DGX. Ask your dive shop. I honestly don’t care. That initial package just seemed expensive for what it is and I hate those big console things.

I don't follow the unscrewing part either. There is no difference in swapping cylinders between a jacket style BCD and a BP/W.

@Elduderino

Would you explain what you mean?

Also, unless you have a good LDS, you may have to mail your regs to get them serviced properly. I had 3 different LDSs screw up servicing my regs so in the mail they went after I was fed up and prior to servicing my own regs.
I’m going to take a guess. As a new diver who has never seen a bp/w, he is seeing a picture of 3 different parts that need to be, somehow, attached to a tank. There is not a picture of an assembled bp/w on the linked page, so he’s not seeing the end result.

Erik

I guess the video is just weird then. They hook things up to the tank first and then screw it into the backplate. I've never seen one of those before so I'm sure I'm just misinterpreting it, but the video doesn't exactly help it make sense lol
yeah, you first set up your harness to your liking to the backplate. Then attach the BP + STA to the wing, and you are ready to go, and leave it alone. Then you attach the cylinder, attaching your regs to the valve when you have that set appropriately.
EDIT: I hope this video is helpful:
EDIT2: I recommend watching at 2x speed.

Got it, that makes a lot more sense. The video threw me off, but I think they were just trying to show the adjustablility based on where you attach it

No assembly/disassembly after the initial set up unless you want to travel with it. In which case it’s super handy to be able to take apart, it’s light too(with the aluminum back plate).

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    87.5 KB · Views: 44
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    86.2 KB · Views: 45
Right, you can move the wing up or down to help fine tune your trim. The idea is you shouldn't rotate if you stop kicking. Once the wing is on the backplate where you want it, just leave it that way. The biggest benefit is the modular nature. If your wing dies, just get a new one. If you want to dive double tanks, just swap out the wing for one specific to doubles (larger and more lift). You're in charge of where D-rings go -- so many jacket/back-inflate BCs have them fixed and way too low for my taste. Anyway, you'll find the BP/W vibe is strong on ScubaBoard. Good luck in your choices!

but since I'm a pretty casual recreational diver it seemed like it might be a decent KISS compromise.
What are people's thoughts on renting on location vs getting something like this?

I'll take the other path from the more experienced divers. I also consider myself a "pretty casual recreational diver." I average 15 dives a year which take place only when I travel. The advice from others is excellent, but there is nothing wrong with what your thinking.

Some would suggest that renting gear is okay as it allows a new diver the opportunity to try different brands/types of gear. In the first 29 dives I did, I learned what type of diver I was going to be (tropical waters) and purchased my gear accordingly - lightweight travel bcd/reg - without ever trying a single piece beforehand. That was 13 years ago and I still use the same gear - had to recently replace the bcd, but still use original reg. I'm also okay renting gear - if I go where water is cooler, I rent a 5mm or 7mm wetsuit - have also done the whole gear rental thing when I dove someplace I hadn't planned on diving.

You can also figure that the purchase of gear will save you money in the long run. Check out the warranty of your gear and the cost of having gear inspected/serviced - to maintain the warranty on my reg, it must be inspected/serviced annually - my buddy's is every 2 years.

I'm considering buying my own gear since I've been diving more. This seems like a decent mid level set up for $1600. What are people's thoughts on renting on location vs getting something like this? Don't want to be cheap but also don't need the most expensive stuff. Unless there is a big advantage
Where in AZ are you? @DiveTucson is probably closer to you than me, but I'd be happy to help you out too. If you're interested, I did a write-up comparing the SubGravity Paragon and the Edge-Hog TCBS systems. I don't do packages, but just off the top of my head, I think you could easily save $500 and get better-quality gear.

I've got the SubGravity with options on the site, and we'll build out a custom model for you too if you want to mix and match things (click here to find them). I don't have the TBCS up yet, though. The online store's a work in progress.

The DGX system is a little more expensive than the TBCS once you add a corrugated hose, but any of those would be a better choice than what you're looking at.

IMO, the best part about a BP/W is its modularity. If you get one as a new diver and decide to become a tech diver, or if you have to replace something, on a BP/W you only replace one part. Break a plastic snap on that Oceanic and maybe you'll get it repaired or replaced, or maybe you'll end up buying a whole new BCD. That is a great deal for the manufacturer, but not so great for you. If you end up doing tech diving, you can just buy another wing and off you go.

For computers, look at the Deep6 Excursion as well. I'm a big fan of that computer (Full disclosure: I use a Shearwater as my primary DC, and the deep6 as my backup for tech diving. I was a beta tester for the deep6 tech upgrade and we also sell both brands). The deep6's screen isn't as fancy as the shearwater, but it's as accurate.

PM me or call me if you want. I could go on, but this is sounding way too much like a sales pitch. Good luck!

I know most hate package deals, but I think it’s usually because they bundle stuff you don’t want/need with stuff you do. IF (big if) you can find a basic package that’s just what you want, you can save some money. I got a HOG BP/w package from Diver’s Supply that didn’t have any extra crap in in (like a computer I didn’t want) and the price was lower than buying the same stuff separately. The DGX package posted earlier is a good one too, but I found that once you get into upgrades (stainless backplate, etc.) the HOG package turned out a bit cheaper.

Where in AZ are you? @DiveTucson is probably closer to you than me, but I'd be happy to help you out too. If you're interested, I did a write-up comparing the SubGravity Paragon and the Edge-Hog TCBS systems. I don't do packages, but just off the top of my head, I think you could easily save $500 and get better-quality gear.

I've got the SubGravity with options on the site, and we'll build out a custom model for you too if you want to mix and match things (click here to find them). I don't have the TBCS up yet, though. The online store's a work in progress.

The DGX system is a little more expensive than the TBCS once you add a corrugated hose, but any of those would be a better choice than what you're looking at.

IMO, the best part about a BP/W is its modularity. If you get one as a new diver and decide to become a tech diver, or if you have to replace something, on a BP/W you only replace one part. Break a plastic snap on that Oceanic and maybe you'll get it repaired or replaced, or maybe you'll end up buying a whole new BCD. That is a great deal for the manufacturer, but not so great for you. If you end up doing tech diving, you can just buy another wing and off you go.

For computers, look at the Deep6 Excursion as well. I'm a big fan of that computer (Full disclosure: I use a Shearwater as my primary DC, and the deep6 as my backup for tech diving. I was a beta tester for the deep6 tech upgrade and we also sell both brands). The deep6's screen isn't as fancy as the shearwater, but it's as accurate.

PM me or call me if you want. I could go on, but this is sounding way too much like a sales pitch. Good luck!

Why would you have to add a corrugated hose?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom