Thoughts on this set up vs renting

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Elduderino

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I'm considering buying my own gear since I've been diving more. This seems like a decent mid level set up for $1600. What are people's thoughts on renting on location vs getting something like this? Don't want to be cheap but also don't need the most expensive stuff. Unless there is a big advantage

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230106_114542_Samsung Internet.jpg
    Screenshot_20230106_114542_Samsung Internet.jpg
    66.5 KB · Views: 127
Seems expensive for what it is…this is what I’d get. Just my opinion though. You’ll get a lot more opinions too.

You'll find most of us are not too keen on package deals.

There are many factors in deciding what is right FOR YOU. As what is right for me may not apply to you, or whatever is right for anyone else may not be right for you.

Insist on specifics of why people recommend gear. Saying "it's the best" reminds me (I'm dating myself here) of Johnny Brennan "but I'm the best Jerky!"

You'll find that most of us, but not all of us, prefer a backplate and wing, even for warm water diving. The certifiably insane (not expressing any bias here :wink: ) insist on jacket style BCDs. Getting into specifics. I am a minimalist. I like as little clutter on my frontside as possible. I like that for warm water diving, a stainless steel backplate and single tank adapter is all I need. So I don't have to pay for lead weights when I shore dive in Maui. The weight is a none issue for me. I like having 6 lbs on my back, a streamlined harness with minimal material (which is buoyant) and it is very comfortable. Backplates are mostly backplates. There is a difference in price largely dictated by how much time spent on a machine that results in finer/smoother edges or nice graphics. All good companies make good wings. I like the Deep 6 wing for drying quickly. But XDeep, Halcyon, OMS, Apeks, all make good ones too. There is a good deal mentioned already for the DGX BP/W package.

For dive computers, I recommend ones with Buhlmann ZHL-16c, with adjustable gradient factors no RGBM proprietary variants (stay away from Suunto, their customer service is horrible and they are one of the few companies to have been sued) as it is overly conservative. Sure changing conservative factors may be similar to adjusting gradient factors, but when you speak to others about grandient factors, they'll be able to understand and advise you. The king of dive computers is Shearwater. But if you are young and have good eyes, the Deep 6 Excursion is a good option for you.

Choose fins based upon your trim needs (not listed here). I'd recommend a Beuchat derivative. There are a number of companies that have offer one: ScubaPro was the first to copy, there's also Apeks, Deep 6, and others that escape me. Buy based upon whether you want a heavy fin or a close to neutrally buoyant one. To quote Andy Davis, split fins are for chicken legged office dwellers (and that is meant in the most respectful way possible :wink: ).

If you want to start a religious war, ask which is "the best" regulator. Oh boy! Just don't forget to insist on criteria for claims of "the best".

Maybe someone like @VikingDives is close enough to you to try a few options before you buy, so you can make an educated choice.

I hope this is helpful to some degree.

The Oceanic BCD is ideal. It has 4 D-rings. Nothing wrong with the computer you've selected. I would look at buying the DGX D6 since you can order custom hose sizing. As for renting... I hired everything except the mask and fins for the first ten years before committing. And sometimes I still hire the lot if the package deal suits. Saves on paying extra for luggage on flights.

Thanks for the feedback. I'm not typically a fan of bundles either but since I'm a pretty casual recreational diver it seemed like it might be a decent KISS compromise. The DGX seems like it would be a pain (somewhat) to swap tanks on the boat since you need to unscrew things and then reattach it, but maybe I'm missing something there. Another consideration is that I feel like most dive shops would be more likely to service Oceanic since it's a big brand, but that might be completely inaccurate

Thanks for the feedback. I'm not typically a fan of bundles either but since I'm a pretty casual recreational diver it seemed like it might be a decent KISS compromise. The DGX seems like it would be a pain (somewhat) to swap tanks on the boat since you need to unscrew things and then reattach it, but maybe I'm missing something there. Another consideration is that I feel like most dive shops would be more likely to service Oceanic since it's a big brand, but that might be completely inaccurate

Not sure why you think you’d need to unscrew things to swap tanks. It’s the same as a jacket bcd. Your statement might be true for the regs..but they’re simple regs to work on and you can order kits from DGX. Ask your dive shop. I honestly don’t care. That initial package just seemed expensive for what it is and I hate those big console things.

I am generally against package deals of any sort -- bad idea; but the earlier that you get your own gear, the better; become familiar with it; and I would only consider the occasional rental of a tank if away from home — maybe some weights . . .

There is no need to unscrew anything on BP/W set up. It uses the same kind of CAM bands as others.
More likely? Depends on the dealership.
ScubaPro will be more likely internationally.
Simple spg + wrist mount computer than console(my preference).

Shop carefully.

Not sure why you think you’d need to unscrew things to swap tanks. It’s the same as a jacket bcd. Your statement might be true for the regs..but they’re simple regs to work on and you can order kits from DGX. Ask your dive shop. I honestly don’t care. That initial package just seemed expensive for what it is and I hate those big console things.
I don't follow the unscrewing part either. There is no difference in swapping cylinders between a jacket style BCD and a BP/W.

@Elduderino

Would you explain what you mean?

Also, unless you have a good LDS, you may have to mail your regs to get them serviced properly. I had 3 different LDSs screw up servicing my regs so in the mail they went after I was fed up and prior to servicing my own regs.

I guess the video is just weird then. They hook things up to the tank first and then screw it into the backplate. I've never seen one of those before so I'm sure I'm just misinterpreting it, but the video doesn't exactly help it make sense lol

Back
Top Bottom