Thoughts on this set up vs renting

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Where in AZ are you? @DiveTucson is probably closer to you than me, but I'd be happy to help you out too. If you're interested, I did a write-up comparing the SubGravity Paragon and the Edge-Hog TCBS systems. I don't do packages, but just off the top of my head, I think you could easily save $500 and get better-quality gear.

I've got the SubGravity with options on the site, and we'll build out a custom model for you too if you want to mix and match things (click here to find them). I don't have the TBCS up yet, though. The online store's a work in progress.

The DGX system is a little more expensive than the TBCS once you add a corrugated hose, but any of those would be a better choice than what you're looking at.

IMO, the best part about a BP/W is its modularity. If you get one as a new diver and decide to become a tech diver, or if you have to replace something, on a BP/W you only replace one part. Break a plastic snap on that Oceanic and maybe you'll get it repaired or replaced, or maybe you'll end up buying a whole new BCD. That is a great deal for the manufacturer, but not so great for you. If you end up doing tech diving, you can just buy another wing and off you go.

For computers, look at the Deep6 Excursion as well. I'm a big fan of that computer (Full disclosure: I use a Shearwater as my primary DC, and the deep6 as my backup for tech diving. I was a beta tester for the deep6 tech upgrade and we also sell both brands). The deep6's screen isn't as fancy as the shearwater, but it's as accurate.

PM me or call me if you want. I could go on, but this is sounding way tooI'm on ohoenix much like a sales pitch. Good luck!

Where in AZ are you? @DiveTucson is probably closer to you than me, but I'd be happy to help you out too. If you're interested, I did a write-up comparing the SubGravity Paragon and the Edge-Hog TCBS systems. I don't do packages, but just off the top of my head, I think you could easily save $500 and get better-quality gear.

I've got the SubGravity with options on the site, and we'll build out a custom model for you too if you want to mix and match things (click here to find them). I don't have the TBCS up yet, though. The online store's a work in progress.

The DGX system is a little more expensive than the TBCS once you add a corrugated hose, but any of those would be a better choice than what you're looking at.

IMO, the best part about a BP/W is its modularity. If you get one as a new diver and decide to become a tech diver, or if you have to replace something, on a BP/W you only replace one part. Break a plastic snap on that Oceanic and maybe you'll get it repaired or replaced, or maybe you'll end up buying a whole new BCD. That is a great deal for the manufacturer, but not so great for you. If you end up doing tech diving, you can just buy another wing and off you go.

For computers, look at the Deep6 Excursion as well. I'm a big fan of that computer (Full disclosure: I use a Shearwater as my primary DC, and the deep6 as my backup for tech diving. I was a beta tester for the deep6 tech upgrade and we also sell both brands). The deep6's screen isn't as fancy as the shearwater, but it's as accurate.

PM me or call me if you want. I could go on, but this is sounding way too much like a sales pitch. Good luck!

I'm in Phoenix. I'm gonna check out bpw set ups. Thanks for all the info I'll check it out. I'd never even heard of those before. One of the dive instructors in Mexico actually had one but I thought he was just using his great grandfather's rig for kicks lol. I'd much rather have a wrist computer so these suggestions on cost effective and more customized alternatives to a bundle are helpful.

Another decent wrist computer that's reasonably priced is the Mares Puck Pro. Of the "cheap" entry-level computers out there that I can think of, it's my personal favorite.l There are definitely some downsides (deco algorithm, black and white) but I got one as my first dive computer years ago, and it's still being used by my students. If you think you might want to go tech at some point, I'd strongly recommend the deep6.

I got the DGX bpw package but not the regs. I went with the AL plate for travel.

DGX regs are great for doubles or stage bottles, but I want a yoke reg on my single tank rig and they only offer din. I tried a DIN reg with a yoke convertor and hated it.

I went with a Hog sealed diaphram yoke reg, D1 I think. Hog classic on a 30" hose with a bungee necklace. Dive Rite Xt2 on a 5 foot hose with a 90 at the end of the hose. ( "streamlined" setup, for 6'3") I'll likely lose the 90 and switch to a 7 foot hose soon. Those seem very comfortable.

But I spent extra on a computer. Got a Searwater Terric because I can wear it when traveling instead of packing it. Spent the money I saved on the bpw package ( instead of stupid expensive bcd) on the computer. I dont regret it. The Terric is a joy to check, where other computers are just a lame 80's Timex screen. It's just too nice.

Yeah, screwing a DIN reg to a yoke adapter, then attaching it to a tank setup for yokes, is just messy. It's heavy, it's another failure point.

Getting a dedicated yoke regulator for yoke setup tanks is better.

Getting a dedicated yoke regulator for yoke setup tanks is better.
Meh. I'm in DIN country... I'm good. :wink:

When I go to the Caribbean I'll make sure to pack my Yoke converter.

Compared to a yoke-designed regulator you mean? Why?
DIN + yoke adapter will be closer to your head than a dedicated yoke. An inch makes all the difference. 😛 However, if the Pro Valve insert won't come out, the adapter is better than not diving.

I ended up going with a subgravity 26lb bpw, deep6 reg and deep6 excursion computer. Thanks for everyone's input and advice. I think this will be much better than the bcd I was initially considering. Also big thanks to Bill at Viking Dives for answering all my questions and getting me set up

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom