This is why we say stay off of the scooters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yes. The roads are narrow and badly maintained. There are speed bumps (topes) that can really upset your steering. Cars fly by. It is easy to get hit from behind.
On the roads outside of town, one of the worst things is not maintenance, it's sand. Hit a pile of sand over asphalt at 40 mph on a scooter with those tiny wheels and you have a problem.

All I can do is copy & paste the url, but look around that page and see if you don't see the bike story.
Yeah, I looked around the site. Didn't find it. No big deal. I was just curious to read the original. I did find an article about vampires. Turned out to be an okay article. One case was an obvious crackpot, and the other turned out to be a very dirty, confused, lost little girl who scared the wits out of a woman on a lonely street at night. The girl was finally found and returned to her family.

Hey guys don't jaywalk in Cozumel ok you might die
It's always a good idea to be careful when crossing the street, and Mexico is a place where it's especially important. Mexican drivers assume that pedestrians will get out of the way. I lived in Mexico for a while, and I would be scared to death to drive there. Taxis are cheap. As are busses. I walked, took busses, and took taxis. And I assumed, when crossing streets, that oncoming cars were not going to stop. It's not that Mexicans are bad people. They are not. It's that they apply the common-sense principle that whoever has less mass is going to get out of the way. They can often be impatient as well. The instant a light turns geen, an entire line of cars is likely to start sounding their horns.

It's always a good idea to be careful when crossing the street, and Mexico is a place where it's especially important. Mexican drivers assume that pedestrians will get out of the way. I lived in Mexico for a while, and I would be scared to death to drive there. Taxis are cheap. As are busses. I walked, took busses, and took taxis. And I assumed, when crossing streets, that oncoming cars were not going to stop. It's not that Mexicans are bad people. They are not. It's that they apply the common-sense principle that whoever has less mass is going to get out of the way. They can often be impatient as well. The instant a light turns geen, an entire line of cars is likely to start sounding their horns.

I lived in Peru for a while and I felt the same way at first. What looks like to an outsider like complete chaos sometimes is really just a different set of rules. On the streets of Lima, a red light late at night when there is no traffic means slow down and blow your horn. When a driver ahead and to the right of you sticks his arm out the window and bangs on his door, slow down and let him in because he's coming over without looking. When it starts raining (which it does twice a year or so) traffic comes to a complete halt while drivers stop wherever they are to retrieve their windshield wipers from their glove compartments and put them on (windshield wipers are a high theft item). On some major boulevard type streets there are no lane markers; it's left to the drivers to decide how many lanes there are, or whether to have them at all. I was there the major part of a year and saw no traffic accidents at all or anyone stopped for a traffic violation, but I surely was not going to drive out in it. ;^)

Does anybody else see the irony of a bunch of scuba divers warning people to stay off of scooters because they're dangerous?
Sure, divers are highly trained but then again not everyone who rides a scooter has never been on one before.
Maybe if we required scooters riders to be licensed just like scuba divers... oops, never mind.....:wink:

Smoking can't cause instant death or massive bodily injury.....also smoking can't cause the concrete to smash your face or make a car decide to use you as a hood ornament.

Snarky reply = invalidated.

It can if you try to light up on a scooter!
See you topside! John

Seems like Don has become the self appointed safety patrol and death watch lately! Seems like anything he starts involves death! :D
Seems like much of life involves death. Are you stalking anyone else...??

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom