Good News On Taxi Exchange Rates

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

That's funny, you've spent more time in this thread than most people do in a cab in Cozumel. ;-)
That's because I am home and bored. :D

If I were on Cozumel I would be practicing what I preach.

A few weeks ago I was in Cozumel with 5 friends on a cruise ( don't judge please....it's an annual trip and It was not my year to pick) We needed a van sized cab to get into town. The van driver at Puerto Maya asked for $16. US. I laughed and asked him in Spanish how many pesos. He took $150.MX, about $8.50 US. It's that easy. No " tourist tax". No argument. Big savings paying in pesos. I don't know what the official rate was but we were happy. He dropped us off well north of the square. When I visit the island solo or with my husband we always rent a car.

OK...a rookie question, where do most of you get the pesos--at the bank before departure or after arrival in Cozumel? If in Cozumel...bank or ATM's?

Thanks,

OK...a rookie question, where do most of you get the pesos--at the bank before departure or after arrival in Cozumel? If in Cozumel...bank or ATM's?

Thanks,

I use either an ATM at Mega (a large grocery store) or at a bank. Don't use ATMs on the street, it's too easy for a skimmer or other 'modifications' to be done to them (and that's not unique to Mexico). By using a local ATM you get a very good exchange rate and low or no fees.

Has Cozumel been hit by the ATM blue tooth chip scam?

I just checked google, apparently they made it to Cozumel too

Once off the ferry in Cozumel, I commenced about two more kilometers of walking the main commercial road adjacent to the ferry dock. I found four more apparently hacked ATMs that were blasting out the telltale bluetooth signals.

.[/QUOTE]
I would really like to see if someone who has knowledge of the true rate sheets publish a decent zonal map and rate chart between the various zones (hint, hint El Graduado ????). Armed with that knowledge a traveler should be able to figure out the basic price between the various zones which I believe would encourage more visitors to experience Cozumel and not just the port areas or to hide in their AI hotels.

Se my new post "Current Cozumel Taxi Rates in Pesos"

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom