Good News On Taxi Exchange Rates

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You realize that's why we have these discussions, right? To clue others in? No need to be so hostile.
How do figure I am being hostile? Toward whom?

Getting "taken" by taxi drivers on Cozumel is at worst a minor inconvenience, and it is easily averted by using one of the several remedies we have discussed in this thread and others. I'm not going to waste precious vacation time agonizing over it, whether it happens to me or anyone else. If someone were to lose their cool and get into an altercation over it I am not going to have a lot of sympathy for them; people who react that way aren't worried about the money, they are just pissed because they lost the game.

Don't get mad, just learn how to play better.

I didn't see ggunn's comment as hostile whatsoever. More like "chill, dude. You're in Mexico. Where pesos are the local currency."
Precisely. Thank you.

I can see both sides. Yes, you can take more control of your situation, pay in pesos, and agree on rate beforehand. On the other hand, people go on vacation to relax not be on friggin' guard 24/7. Just because someone CAN take advantage of you doesn't mean the MUST or SHOULD. And if they do then they have to accept the reputation they have earned.
You don't go on vacation very much, do you? :D

Every vacation destination has its charlatans and ripoff artists. When you go on vacation, no matter where you go, you should maintain a level of vigilance or else risk being taken advantage of. Cozumel is very tame compared with a lot of other places you could go.

You don't go on vacation very much, do you? :D

Every vacation destination has its charlatans and ripoff artists. When you go on vacation, no matter where you go, you should maintain a level of vigilance or else risk being taken advantage of. Cozumel is very tame compared with a lot of other places you could go.

Let's see. Cozumel Dec-2015, Belize Dec-2015, Cozumel Feb-2016, next up Roatan May-2016 and Caymans July-2016. Half dozen road trips to Florida not included.

I explicity stated in this thread that this is nothing unique to Mexico.

I'll repeat, "Just because someone CAN take advantage of you doesn't mean they MUST or SHOULD. And if they do then they have to accept the reputation they have earned." Woulda coulda shoulda, when tourists feel they are getting ripped off or are in fear of getting ripped off all the time, they'll quit going and a bad reputation will get formed. This will hurt all the honest locals and ex-pats who will find their businesses suffering as a result, therefore it is in the best interests of all to bring these problems to the light of day not sweep them under the rug.

OUCH. Carful Doc, you might get modded! :poke::popcorn:
Oh the drama! People twist what you say and get all butt hurt when you point it out. I'm getting PMs now, chewing me out because I pointed it out. 2 phreakin' phunni. But now that you mention it, it's probably good to mention that I'm probably the most moderated person on SB. It doesn't bother me and I don't complain (usually). No, we don't keep stats. :D

I still haven't received my SB flag to fly at SB dinners.....
There's a flag? Kewl. I want one!

Im with ggunn. I know the price before I get in and I pay in pesos. I don't knock the taxi drivers for trying. I would. Im not going to worry 20 pesos. Just like I don't worry about ATM fees.
Its funny to me when people say others will quit coming to Cozumel because of the bad rep of taxi drivers ripping them off. I know many taxi drivers and play softball with them. Great guys and they charge me local rates which is half of what tourists pay.:)

Let's see. Cozumel Dec-2015, Belize Dec-2015, Cozumel Feb-2016, next up Roatan May-2016 and Caymans July-2016. Half dozen road trips to Florida not included.

I explicity stated in this thread that this is nothing unique to Mexico.

I'll repeat, "Just because someone CAN take advantage of you doesn't mean they MUST or SHOULD. And if they do then they have to accept the reputation they have earned." Woulda coulda shoulda, when tourists feel they are getting ripped off or are in fear of getting ripped off all the time, they'll quit going and a bad reputation will get formed. This will hurt all the honest locals and ex-pats who will find their businesses suffering as a result, therefore it is in the best interests of all to bring these problems to the light of day not sweep them under the rug.
I was joking; didn't you get that?

We can complain all we want but it won't change anything. Cozumel is very benign, comparatively speaking; when I went to Italy I was warned to keep a sharp eye out in the train stations for guys who would sneak up behind you and slit your back pocket with a razor to relieve you of your wallet. In some US cities a wrong turn off the beaten path can get you robbed, or worse.

This particular scam is so minor and so easy to avoid that I really cannot understand what all the wailing and gnashing of teeth is about. Much ado about nothing. Get the rate up front, pay in pesos, and don't make yourself a victim.

I think Pete's doing the Modding directly by his posts. The Coz forum is one of the most popular sections of SB. Negative comments have been heavily modded in the past. Pete's post about the value of these discussions is his attempt at putting a positive value on discussing negative aspects.

It is quite refreshing for once to actually see a thread not split up into a dozen others or sections deleted just because they don't agree with certain view points, letting a discussion actually be a discussion, who would a thunk it?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom