Good News On Taxi Exchange Rates

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I disagree that speaking out won't change anything. You aren't going to see a sea change overnight but Cozumel responds to the laws of economics in the marketplace just like anywhere else. If enough tourists complain that it becomes a problem for business owners, and then in turn enough business owners complain that it becomes a problem for politicians, then perhaps some pressure will be applied. This entire thread started with a policy change (on paper) of adjusting the taxi exchange rate. You can bet they didn't just feel a pang of guilt and do that on their own.

As for people not coming, well that won't happen overnight either and it will not deter most people . If 10% or even 5% are deterred that translates to a lot of revenue lost. Who knows how many people stay in all inclusives or limit themselves to walking distances to avoid dealing with taxis? Aside from the cruise industry, Cozumel tourism doesn't seem to have grown much in the past decade or so.

Reputations take a long time to build and an even longer time to change. For example, mention Bonaire and many people will think "shore diving and petty theft". I've talked to people that have never been there and have ruled it out because of the rep for getting stuff stolen. Bonaire locals, expats and diehard fans will shout up and down that the rep is undeserved, that theft is not like it used to be and no worse than other similar destinations. It will be a long time, if ever, before that image changes.

I disagree that speaking out won't change anything. You aren't going to see a sea change overnight but Cozumel responds to the laws of economics in the marketplace just like anywhere else. If enough tourists complain...

And if everyone started paying for taxis with pesos the issue would just evaporate.

Tilt at that windmill all you want but I'm not going to join you. Life is too short and vacation time is too precious to spend time worrying about what is in my view an insignificant and easily avoided non-issue. Carry on.

And if everyone started paying for taxis with pesos the issue would just evaporate.

Ever get a taxi and ask the fare and it's quoted in dollars?

The taxi tricks aren't going away, the players change but the game stays the same, I think that's a song.

Interesting side note on all of this, just for giggles I searched for "Cozumel taxi scam" and got three pages of results from scubaboard, tripadvisor, cruisecritic, fodors and other top rated large travel sites. Apparently the word is out. It's out a lot more than I thought it would be.

It is quite refreshing for once to actually see a thread not split up into a dozen others or sections deleted just because they don't agree with certain view points, letting a discussion actually be a discussion, who would a thunk it?

Ill be reporting this to @MMM !!!

Tilt at that windmill all you want but I'm not going to join you. Life is too short and vacation time is too precious to spend time worrying about what is in my view an insignificant and easily avoided non-issue. Carry on.

That's funny, you've spent more time in this thread than most people do in a cab in Cozumel. ;-)

That's funny, you've spent more time in this thread than most people do in a cab in Cozumel. ;-)

Actually, I think I have seen Gun posting FROM a taxi.....

If you look carefully, you can see Gun in the back posting to SB:

czmtaxi.jpg

So you are saying I can stop checking the mailbox everyday?

:funnypost:
I hate to break the delusion! It should there tomorrow. Or the next day. Better keep checking. :D

We used to have a few banners floating around. I know that @cardzard has one and I double dog dare you to take it from him. Make that a triple dog dare. :D :D :D Other than that, I haven't seen one in ages. Probably collecting dust in someone's garage. :(

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom