Good News On Taxi Exchange Rates

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

lionfish-eater

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
It is common knowledge that taxi drivers use an exchange rate of 10 to 1, It makes the math easier and made sense when the exchange rate was 12 to 1. I considered it a tip as I only took short cab rides.

With exchange rates closer to 18 to 1 the difference is significant enough to raise complaints. Complaints lead to change when it comes to damaging the island's image to tourists.
Taxis are often the first and last contact visitors have.

Taxis have raised the exchange to 13 to 1:

There is a very simple solution, pay in pesos.

From Novedades:

Hauliers priced the dollar to its 'convenience and benefit'

Monday was paid to 13 pesos on a value of 18 in the destination.

Tuesday, 8 Mar, 2016 21:32
SENDING

080316355add22fmed.jpg

The Cozumel Island Hotel Association (AHIC) has already received complaints about this but giving solution is not in their hands. (Gustavo Villegas / SIPSE)

Gustavo Villegas / SIPSE
COZUMEL, Q. Roo.- exchange rate depending on the value of the dollar may reach levels of 10 pesos revealed several members of the taxi drivers ' union Adolfo Lopez Mateos, who asked not to be cited for reprisals by of the leadership, to publicize this guild currency cup carriers according to their convenience and benefit.

The information was confirmed with a call toone of the two central taxi in which on Monday were paid 13 pesos for a value of 18 on the destination. The Cozumel Island Hotel Association (AHIC) and has received complaints about this but giving solution is not in their hands.

Taxi operators in the municipality of Cozumel leaked information regarding the Monday, March 13 taxi drivers accept dollars from their customers to 13 pesos and not the nearly 18 that traded that day.

You may also be interested in : And the Star Diamond Award goes to ... Dario Flota Ocampo!

The phone operator 87 20236 of the base - two union of taxi driver confirmed at 13:55 minutes if someone paid service dollar accept this currency to 13 pesos.

They know the subject
Isela Valenzuela Jimenez, manager of the AHIC said that for some time have information on these practices and explained that charging a national or foreign tourist dollars at the exchange rate 20 18 360 mean.

However the tazarlo to 13 pesos results 260 pesos so the user must actually pay $ 25 to cover 360 pesos as traders do in order to charge more, this according to reports from some travel agencies noreports of such operations.

The hotel executive made clear that for the moment had no exact information of these complaints but said that if they have been informed about it .

Taxis are not cambios.

Use the currency of the country you are in and you won't have a problem.

Accepting foreign currency is a convenience offered by the driver, not a requirement.

Many businesses in border towns will accept foreign currency at a discount. In upstate NY, loonies are given a 15% discount. I expect it is the same elsewhere.

USE LOCAL CURRENCY IF YOU DON"T WANT TO NEGOTIATE EXCHANGE RATES.

Score one for the Bahamas the USD is interchangeable there.

We usually change money when we stop to check into Mexico. You want a bad exchange rate try selling pesos back to dollars.

Taxis are not cambios.

Use the currency of the country you are in and you won't have a problem.

Accepting foreign currency is a convenience offered by the driver, not a requirement.

Many businesses in border towns will accept foreign currency at a discount. In upstate NY, loonies are given a 15% discount. I expect it is the same elsewhere.

USE LOCAL CURRENCY IF YOU DON"T WANT TO NEGOTIATE EXCHANGE RATES.

Funny how the vast majority of other businesses on the island have no problem getting very close to the real exchange rate. 15:1 is a 'bad rate' in non-taxi-mafia enterprises.

I guess deciding to start ripping people off by only a large amount instead of by an enormous amount is 'good news'.....
LOL

I was going to say, that article is hilarious, they are actually formally discussing how much to rip us off by. "We're getting some flack from the gringos about how badly we are ripping them off, I motion that we consider a reduction from Lunatic Speed Rip Off Mode to only Insanity Speed Rip Off Mode, do I hear a 2nd to my motion?"

I see it as a convenience fee for accepting foreign currency, not a rip off.

I had a taxi driver in January tell me $8 dollars when I knew it was 80 pesos. I said or 80 pesos. He said yes. If you aren't smart enough to know the exchange rate and will pay 10 to1 to me that's your own fault. If I was a taxi driver I would do ten to one also. or at least try to. I see so many rude gringos down there I don't fault the taxis. Everyone is told to agree to the price before you get in. If you don't oh well. I agree use local currency and its not a problem.

So when I had the last beer I will ever buy at Woody's and was charged 51 pesos, several weeks back, I was actually getting a good deal? The taxi cabs are not the only folks playing games with currency coversion and pricing.

Its their country pay in their currency - no problems! It's a service that they take US$, would you take peso's at your business in the USA? And if you did I'm sure you'd give them the best conversion rate possible - Really!?!?

If you think you are getting ripped off don't use the services or don't go there (you probably won't find any other places to go either!).

Back
Top Bottom