This is why we say stay off of the scooters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I also found it somewhat ironic that the US has been the leader in anti-helmet and anti-seatbelt activism.

Isn't it the law in like every state but New Hampshire that you have to wear a seatbelt? I have seen that it is becoming popular and legal in states to the without a helmet...freedom to be irresponsible I guess. I passed a guy on the interstate in Florida who wrecked his bike with no helmet and I bet he wished he'd had a helmet on.

Or maybe he's just a jerk.
Ah, well, here we go again.

I would encourage you to refrain from making personal remarks, irrespective of how deserved it may seem. Once it starts, escalation is almost inevitable, and that results in posts being removed and threads being locked down. It makes no difference who started it.

Peace,

That's only because it's harder to smoke while wearing a helmet and/or seatbelt. :D

I've never known of a seatbelt that would curtail smoking....now finding an ashtray in one of the newer cars is becoming a challenge....but I degress, back to the original subject.

I've been going back & forth about buying a scooter to keep at our condo, for when I need to make a longer errand that is inconvenient for the bicycle, but the wife is dead set against it...as is my doctor. He told me to sell my motorcycle since I lost a kidney, but I just can't bring myself to do it. Kidney damage is very high in motorcycle accidents. This thread is definately swaying me to bypass the scooter. I do always wear a helmet though.....no watermelon thump for me!

Mike

This thread brings back memories of a trip I took to Bermuda where visitors are not allowed to rent automobiles.

My cousin and I wanted to rent scooters and test drove some in the lot at the scooter rental place to determine if we could be safe on them. Both of us agreed we were not 100% comfortable on them, factor in the roadway we were not familiar with on the island, reading road signs, driving on the left side and it's a recipe for disaster.

For the money we would have spent to rent two scooters or one scooter that fit two people, it made sense to just take cabs while we were there. During our week there, we saw a scooter accident every day, some times a few a day and all of the scooter drivers were tourists. :depressed:

This thread brings back memories of a trip I took to Bermuda where visitors are not allowed to rent automobiles.

My cousin and I wanted to rent scooters and test drove some in the lot at the scooter rental place to determine if we could be safe on them. Both of us agreed we were not 100% comfortable on them, factor in the roadway we were not familiar with on the island, reading road signs, driving on the left side and it's a recipe for disaster.

For the money we would have spent to rent two scooters or one scooter that fit two people, it made sense to just take cabs while we were there. During our week there, we saw a scooter accident every day, some times a few a day and all of the scooter drivers were tourists. :depressed:
Same with me on Cozumel. I don't want to drive anything, anywhere. Scooters are right out, and I got stuck too many times being the "daddy" driving the van around the island while everyone in the back was partying.

I've never been to Cozumel; are these people who are crashing the scooters inexperienced first timers,
Yes. Many people who go to Cozumel have never been on a scooter--they are really very rare in the U.S. It is a new toy to them.

getting run over,
Yes. The roads are narrow and badly maintained. There are speed bumps (topes) that can really upset your steering. Cars fly by. It is easy to get hit from behind.

equipment failures,
Yes. The bikes are badly maintained. My son once rented one and realized the steering did not work properly as he exited the parking lot where he rented it. He returned immediately to point this out to the person from whom he had rented it 2 minutes before. The guy informed him that as soon as he had sat on the bike and started to ride, he had accepted responsibility for it. He was therefore going to have to charge my son for the defective steering.

The helmets are an absolute joke. They are like the flimsy helmet liners that used to be wrong inside the steel helmets of the military.

all of the above?
Yes.

Duplicate

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom