Thinking of buying my first dry suit. Thoughts?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

What survey did you use? What was the tally? Did you consider that people tend to post about something when there is an issue, and maybe more suits of one brand are sold?

Your comments seem very anecdotal in nature.
It is anecdotal and I just went through all the Internet comments and reviews I could. Please can you explain what you would not consider as 'anecdotal' and the practical steps to get such information so it would help OP ?

In my case I just had no bad feedback at all for O3 and Otter (just trying to remember from memory). Like you said, it could be just that my sample is not representative. But again, what alternative do I have but to go on available information ?

As always, when giving constructive criticism, you are encouraged to propose a better alternative and methodology to get a proper feedback/survey so it is actually helpful to OP.

You are also entitled to your opinion as well. I already disclaimed in my previous posts that I used only what I could find on internet reviews and forums to make my decision. I also emailed all three and got better and quicker sales information from O3 and Otter than Seaskin.

It does not bother me if you have another experience, but I hope your post is not based on an anectodal evidence of 1 :)

I suggest OP does the same 'research' than I did and, as always, does not trust someone else's opinion. As the russians and Reagan said: 'trust, but verify !'

Seaskin, made to measure and very low cost.
DON'T forget a pee valve.
I own both Neoprene and Membrane Sea Skin suits, cost about $800 each fully loaded. Fantastic suits from Sea Skin. You will be surprised at at the quality of these suits.
I've all but pulled the trigger on Seaskin. I have my suit all spec'ed out and in the shopping cart. I just need to take the measurements and, the hardest part, actually clicking "buy." I am in no hurry because it is already too late to get it in time to dive with it this winter, so I am going to continue to dig.

@lexvil, because these suits are so much more inexpensive than other options, I was nervous about the durability of these suits. But, your comment has largely alleviated that concern. I am still considering adding some of the protective padding options as in investment to the durability of the suit, and I would still be money ahead.

Also, @lexvil, you and my personal friend have both recommended the pee valve. Ugh. This is one option I am torn about. The need for this really hasn't come up in my diving experience (almost all of it being tropical, warm water), and I really don't want to add another potential leak point to the suit. But, it is hard for me to ignore the voice of experience. Plus I can see why it would only take one time of wishing it was there to make me glad I got it...

I've all but pulled the trigger on Seaskin. I have my suit all spec'ed out and in the shopping cart. I just need to take the measurements and, the hardest part, actually clicking "buy." I am in no hurry because it is already too late to get it in time to dive with it this winter, so I am going to continue to dig.

@lexvil, because these suits are so much more inexpensive than other options, I was nervous about the durability of these suits. But, your comment has largely alleviated that concern. I am still considering adding some of the protective padding options as in investment to the durability of the suit, and I would still be money ahead.

Also, @lexvil, you and my personal friend have both recommended the pee valve. Ugh. This is one option I am torn about. The need for this really hasn't come up in my diving experience (almost all of it being tropical, warm water), and I really don't want to add another potential leak point to the suit. But, it is hard for me to ignore the voice of experience. Plus I can see why it would only take one time of wishing it was there to make me glad I got it...
I went through the same worries before I bought my first Seaskin the low cost just didn’t seem right, I put hundreds of dives on it before I damaged the zipper, I have a new tizip in it and it will be diving tomorrow, the trigon pee valve is great, automatic and you don’t have to use it until you’re ready to. The price is really low when you have it put in when they are building the suit. I don’t know your diving style but I would be sure of the need before adding the extra protections, the only hole I’ve had in it was in the neoprene sock from debris getting into my shoe. The $2500 I saved over a custom cut DUI easily paid for a trip to Thailand, no dry suit needed there.

Also, @lexvil, you and my personal friend have both recommended the pee valve. Ugh. This is one option I am torn about. The need for this really hasn't come up in my diving experience (almost all of it being tropical, warm water), and I really don't want to add another potential leak point to the suit. But, it is hard for me to ignore the voice of experience. Plus I can see why it would only take one time of wishing it was there to make me glad I got it...[/QUOT

I would add the Kevlar knee pads. If you are buying a dry suit I assume you are going to be diving in colder waters. You will be wearing undergarments and gear you cannot get out of very quick. You will most likely be doing longer dives as well. A pee valve can make the difference between a happy dive and miserable one. Especially during Deco.

I bought the fourth element argonaut this spring. I have about 100 dives on it so far. I am very happy with it. The “scan” measure system worked very well and the fit is great.

Back
Top Bottom