There's Dinosaur Prints in that B.S. Quarry

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ScubaSarus

Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I have to learn the geology of the LI Sound for a interpreters position at one of the state parks. So I went on ebay and bought a 1960 geology field guide book.
Quote from book:

"Iron Oxide is the coloring matter of the brown sandstone of New York City's famous "brownstone fronts" This facing rock came from almost horizontal sandstone beds lying in the Connecticut Valley." The author then goes on to say: dinosaur footprints have found in the rocky floor of the great sandstone quarries worked for this stone at Portland, CT.

Another book on Google and actual pictures of the prints are here : http://bit.ly/beER6T (scroll up a bit).

I didn't know these facts until now and find it amazing. Are the prints on the bottom under the mud or can they be seen on the ledges?

Wouldn't it be nice if the Brownstone Dive Park could claim historical importance of a mention of dinosaur prints and get a grant to dredge the quarries making the bottom solid and exposing the dinosaur prints.

Just though I'd share this with you all.

Ref:
A Field Guide to Rocks and Minerals
Frederick H. Pough, 1960
Houghtgn Mifflin Co. Boston

P.S. Does anyone know if they did eventually make a museum as I'd like to see if I can arrange to donate this ring I found in the quarry years ago and give them a copy of page 21 from this book if they don't already have or know about the dinosaur prints.

Last edited:
Thanks Chris

Hope your doing well in RI and are getting plenty of dives in and enjoying a great family life.

Hopefully I'll find the time to get out soon. What are the water temps at about 40 ft now.

Thanks again.

Wouldn't it be nice if the Brownstone Dive Park could claim historical importance of a mention of dinosaur prints and get a grant to dredge the quarries making the bottom solid and exposing the dinosaur prints.

It would be not that easy due to the fact Quarry have direct connection to the River, which was quite obvious during recent floods.
Thou I have to admit, seeing Dino imprint while diving would be ultimately cool!:)
rgrds
Tomek

Thanks Sean and Chris Im hoping to get back in soon. Looks like I'll be packing my drysuit.

Totally agree Rzep it would be cool to see prints in the quarry.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom