A Great Lakes reading list

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

https://www.amazon.com/Search-Westmoreland-Ross-Richardson/dp/1933926473/ref=sr_1_1?crid=10P42VP1PA4DF&dchild=1&keywords=ross+richardson&qid=1614618616&sprefix=ross+richard,sporting,190&sr=8-1

View attachment 645038

From amazon:

"Author and Shipwreck Hunter Ross Richardson is often thought of as the underwater "Indiana Jones" of America's mid-west. In 2010 he discovered the wreck of the treasure ship "Westmoreland" which is considered one of the most sought after shipwrecks in the Great Lakes Region."

Book is very comprehensive read of the Westmoreland's history and Richardson's efforts to find it. I enjoyed it.

I just bought this a few weeks ago.

Ross did an excellent job for a self published book. I have a personal autographed copy of it and hope he writes another for his newer discoveries.

I have a few of those, but pulled a few more from my shelf for our “virtual library”.
DAB87B76-7242-45CD-99A6-B8395534C091.jpeg

The “granddaddy” here is Not as old as Havighurst, but is Dana Thomas Bowen’s “Shipwrecks of the Lakes.” Originally published in 1952. Mine is the 1977 edition. A collection of 38 or 39 stories of various wrecks.

My grandparents got me the book when I was a kid. It inspired an interest in shipwrecks that eventually led to me diving.

Attachments

• 1E224183-8B3C-4C1B-AF07-29DBD6E2D895.jpeg
    1E224183-8B3C-4C1B-AF07-29DBD6E2D895.jpeg
    68.7 KB · Views: 95
Don't forget to get a copy of Dwight Boyer's Ghost Ships of the Great Lakes. Probably the best piece written in that time frame. I have a first edition of both Bowens and Boyers books that were signed in the 50s by Bowen. (Boyer was 1968).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom