The term BUDDY should be PARTNER

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
and I also like the fact that buddy has a "young at hearth" connotation. Because every diver I know looks and sound younger (in a positive way) than other people.

When I get too old to dive, I'll switch from Buddy to foursome :wink:

smiley250.jpg

That is why we up here in the great with north..wear 14mm wetsuits and or Drysuits...:wink:..think about it.

tonka97:
I've had toooooooooo many of those, thank you very much!!:rofl3:

DIR = "Team Members".

Sheesh!! :D

This post is rediculous. Call it whatever you want it. Your buddy/partner/mate/life long companion can't hear anything underwater anyway, so as they're swimming in the wrong direction not paying attention to you, they can't hear you say all the horrible things you are trying to. I call it a teammate, but that's just me, I could care less what everyone else says.

I prefer "Flag bi*ch", but will continue to use "buddy" in polite company.

Unless it's used to describe someone I'm dancing, or running a business with, "partner" has too strong a "lover" connotation for my taste.

Go figure. I smile to myself and chuckle inside whenever I use the word "buddy" with respect to diving. I guess I never had a bully calling me "buddy"... and I've never been in a cab with a rude cabbie constantly calling me "buddy"... and I haven't had to suffer through all those bigger truckers calling me "good buddy" on the CB because they know I'm not big enough to beat them up over it...

"Partner", on the other hand, does not sit well with me at all. In modern American English, it is commonly used for two things: business and personal relationships. I have no business relationship with my dive buddies, and I sure as... um... heck?... have no intimate personal relationship with them (and "partner" is now exceedingly commonly used to refer to gender-similar relationships).

Of course, the phrase "Howdy, partner!" has none of those connotations, but being doubled-over laughing at someone is a temporary contraindication to diving. :D

Would "fellow diver" be acceptable to you? (Or is "fellow" too highbrow?)

dwatson:
This post is rediculous. Call it whatever you want it. Your buddy/partner/mate/life long companion can't hear anything underwater anyway, so as they're swimming in the wrong direction not paying attention to you, they can't hear you say all the horrible things you are trying to. I call it a teammate, but that's just me, I could care less what everyone else says.

I personally couldn't care less that you could care less what everyone else says.:rofl3:

The middle portion of your post was funny and so often true!:coffee:

Uh, I use the term "partner" when I don't know someone's sexual orientation and want to refer to their significant other without offending them.

I prefer the term "buddy" for diving. It's easy, it's traditional, and nobody is offended since we all use it in the same context.

buddy sounds like you're a dog

partner sounds like you're in a gay relationship

fellow diver sounds like a politician trying to get votes

i say .... we should call each other

dive mates!

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom