Crash dive?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scott McWilliam

Contributor
Reaction score
Crash Dive?

Some diving fatalities are relatively easy to understand and to some degree come to terms with. For example, when the autopsy results show that the deceased had a blood alcohol level of 1.4 and had cannabis and LSD in his body. This does not lessen the loss but it is easier for others to understand and in their own way and time come to terms with the accident.

Other accidents are difficult to come to terms with. For example, when the victim ignores his dive partners three efforts to signal that he is running low on air and wants to turn back and ascend but the victim signals he wants to go on a little bit farther and waves goodbye never to be seen again.

In an internet world with far too many trolls and personal attacks it is difficult to even attempt to float an opinion or comment on the loss of Canadian Film-maker (Sharkwater) Rob Stewart’s passing. His loss is a festering wound in the diving community. There are many press releases on line that provide some insight into what went wrong including the Canadian Broadcasting Corporation article this link will take you to.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/rob-stewart-death-lawsuit-1.4043944

I have no interest and do not advocate trying the case in the court of public opinion on the internet. Everyone here is a grown up if your so inclined you can research the matter and come to your own conclusions. Also, I was not there and only know what I read. Most importantly I am thankful Mr. Peter Sotis (Add Helium) survived the dive. All of the accounts on the accident indicate he arrived on the surface in a distressed (hypoxic) state and required medical assistance on the boat. In diving the only thing worse than a diving fatality is a double fatality.

My thinking on litigation is similar to Winston Churchill’s on democracy itself, it is a horribly flawed system, imperfect in many ways but it is still the best form of government available. Similarly, there are no guarantees any one will find justice in court on any particular action, but generally the truth makes it way to the surface and the majority of court decisions are just. It is superior to stick fighting etc., in terms of just and equitable resolution to life’s problems. Like stick fights, court is also a place it is best to steer clear of if you can. More so in the United States than Canada, litigation often follows a diving fatality. In part, because in a dry suit, rebreather, stage bottles and weights on dry land, a diver is much easier to catch than an ambulance.

Collectively we are limited to whatever degree of faith you still have in the judicial system and prayer for a resolution to the matter. As there is nothing that I can do to change the past this post is about what is happening today.

I would like to think that we can all agree that a dive, in which your dive partner does not survive is a traumatic event. If the event includes your own personal near-death experience and interpretive dance routine, (the Chicken,) on the back deck of the boat, this adds to the trauma experienced. This is also stressful. If it takes three days to recover buddy’s’ body this is very stressful, if you are now the respondent in a civil action this is very, very, stressful. If you get my drift.

If diving is a sport how do you find an umpire?

People react to events like diving accidents in different ways. I am very much reminded of the loss of Reg Barrett on the Gunilda site some years ago. This was before mixed gas diving. Reg was part of a three-man diving team and they were tight, they were all good friends. Reg was British Sub Aquanauts old school. He had swum the English Channel three times and Reg liked to run a dive like a military operation. Above all else Reg believed that his method was superior to everyone else’s. He was not receptive to alternative points of view.

The three of them went ice diving in Lake Simcoe. Rather than using tenders harnesses and ropes the used caving reals with no tenders. Jan gets cold and signals he is heading back to the hole. Reg and Fred continue the dive. When they return to the hole they find Jan dead floating under the ice near the hole. A coroner’s inquest is held and Reg and Fred are raked over the coals and castigated for their diving method.

Reg emerges with a rather unusual point of view. I am right and everyone else is wrong. Particularly others in the diving community who gave evidence at the inquest. On the subject of deep air diving on the Gunilda he told me to my face that while decompression was a serious matter and they all decompressed according to the tables, but due to their many years of intense training and expertise as divers Nitrogen Narcosis and Oxygen toxicity were not a problem for them. I assisted with Reg’s recovery after he failed to come to the surface after a dive on the Gunilda.

Reg is not the one who has to live with that. How is it I failed to float an effective argument to bring him back into the fold?

Mr. Sotis owned and operated the DECO stop web site, which I usually associate with TDI. Readership fell off to next to nothing, the two common complaints were that it had turned into little more than an advertisement for Add Helium and endless trolling. He has now apparently purchased the Rebreatherworld web site where he again is a Platinum sponsor. The top article that slaps you right in the face is a snappy little video, Add Helium’s, How to Dive to 200 Meters. Is it just me? Am I just an old man who has lost touch with what is going on in diving? There are many diving instructors and rebreather instructors on this site. How many of you are producing your own slick video tape advertisement showing people how to dive to 656 feet? Why? I suppose you get the bragging rights of making the dive and the opportunity to buy rebreathers from Add Helium. I am not exactly sure if the twin engine aircraft and high roller illusion are part of the package but you may be able to work something out, or is that part of the purchased price?

I bear Mr. Sotis no ill will or malice. As I have said I am happy he survived the dive and I still believe enough in the courts to hope for an equitable decision for his legal problems. Life is a beautiful thing, even when times are tough. If he has a friend, hopefully someone smarter than me, it might be time for a chat with Peter. He appears to have adopted the “I’m going to show them all” approach to diving.

How high a body count does it take before he re-evaluates his method?

We want millions upon millions of Scuba Divers to get out there and have fun safely diving, and write the best rule books we can to guide them all, in many locations, situations and abilities, yet still give them the FREEDOM to push boundaries of diving . When a single person dies we agonize over this loss to try to adjust our rule book to prevent its recurrence by suggesting Diving RESTRICTIONS.
“This Freedom to push boundaries” Vs “Restricting diving practice to ensure safety” is like an ongoing emotional tug-of-War in adventure diving generally.
@Scott McWilliam are you saying it is time to stop pushing boundaries in diving, or that the more arrogant, know it all Divers should have a “mark of Cain” on their face for every Dive buddy they left in the water?
Just discussion, I am neither a maverick Diver, nor impressed/dismayed by them.

We want millions upon millions of Scuba Divers to get out there and have fun safely diving, and write the best rule books we can to guide them all, in many locations, situations and abilities, yet still give them the FREEDOM to push boundaries of diving . When a single person dies we agonize over this loss to try to adjust our rule book to prevent its recurrence by suggesting Diving RESTRICTIONS.
“This Freedom to push boundaries” Vs “Restricting diving practice to ensure safety” is like an ongoing emotional tug-of-War in adventure diving generally.
@Scott McWilliam are you saying it is time to stop pushing boundaries in diving, or that the more arrogant, know it all Divers should have a “mark of Cain” on their face for every Dive buddy they left in the water?
Just discussion, I am neither a maverick Diver, nor impressed/dismayed by them.
No I have pushed a few boundaries myself in my own time. What I am saying is that Peter does not seem to have any boundaries, ,he is popular and charismatic and has his own following there is clearly the potential for further loss and I think it is n the best interest of the diving community to give the matter the sober second thought it deserves.

No I have pushed a few boundaries myself in my own time. What I am saying is that Peter does not seem to have any boundaries, ,he is popular and charismatic and has his own following there is clearly the potential for further loss and I think it is n the best interest of the diving community to give the matter the sober second thought it deserves.
Can you differentiate between “ pushing boundaries” which is ok, and “not having boundaries” which is not ok?
If you said that it is ok to push boundaries with an experienced group of Divers, not ok to bring noobs with you, and then get them in over their head, that is what most Scuba community would understand is the difference. But in your example, everyone was experienced Diver, not some “trust me Dives”
And again, what do we say about the Peters and the Regs and other survivors or tragic accidents? Should they carry a label so other divers are warned?
By the way, another diver wrote a similar story about a repetitive reckless diver who finally did leave someone to die, John Chatterton: Accomplished Bad Divers

I may not be the most qualified to comment on technical diving matters as most of my ~1500 dives over twenty years have been decidedly recreational in nature and I have very limited experience with rebreathers. But twenty five years as a successful Health and Safety specilaist and consultant to the offshore oil and gas industry taught me a thing or two about developing, coordinating and executing safe systems of work in complex high risk environments, as well as developing and delivering safety critical training packages.
A few months before the Rob Stewart tragedy I undertook a course at Add Helium that I have written about previously on Scubaboard. During that time I would have to say that I observed a culture within the Add Helium organization that appeared to be self righteous and self serving. Presentations by Peter Soto’s himself frequently alluded to his understanding of decompression theory and practice being industry leading while mainstream training agencies where not openly derided the impression was that Add Helium was cutting edge and a cut above the rest. In fact when I asked what training agency certification I would be receiving I was told it would be Add Helium’s own in-house “On Course” qualification. I asked then would it be recognized widely and Peter Soto’s told me that if anyone had a problem with it they should call him and he would take care of it!
It became obvious that Add Helium IS Peter Sotis and frankly it was just a little alternative and “cultish”!
My personal view is that Add Helium is an example of what can happen when the internet is manipulated to dispense large quantities of Kool aid and an alternative reality is established. When it comes to training, particularly technical diving training, it is a case of buyer beware and remain discerning throughout the course. Trust your instincts and personal experience/ knowledge, question everything and don’t just accept stuff that doesn’t quite gel just because the instructor expounds it, its your life on the line!

Can you differentiate between “ pushing boundaries” which is ok, and “not having boundaries” which is not ok?
If you said that it is ok to push boundaries with an experienced group of Divers, not ok to bring noobs with you, and then get them in over their head, that is what most Scuba community would understand is the difference. But in your example, everyone was experienced Diver, not some “trust me Dives”
And again, what do we say about the Peters and the Regs and other survivors or tragic accidents? Should they carry a label so other divers are warned?
By the way, another diver wrote a similar story about a repetitive reckless diver who finally did leave someone to die, John Chatterton: Accomplished Bad Divers
Excellent question, I can only forward an opinion as there is no clear definition on the matter and it floats in the ether of contemporary opinion in the parent diving culture. In my view, pushing boundary's is and organized systematic and cautious approach in this case towards moving into deeper water. No boundaries is the yahoo cowboy approach. If for example you wish do dive to two hundred and fifty feet and you educated yourself to the task, have the appropriate equipment and mix, and undertake a series of dives and move towards that depth you will likely be able to do the dive with ease, comfort and a reasonable degree of safety. If however you are newly certified and operating on the principal that others have done the dive so I can to, then you may be abandoning conventional boundaries. In the final analysis it is a matter of risk management. A dead dive partner remains a good indicator that your approach is flawed. If you then make a slick video on How to Dive to 200 Meters as a response, it looks like your in cowboy country to me.
I may not be the most qualified to comment on technical diving matters as most of my ~1500 dives over twenty years have been decidedly recreational in nature and I have very limited experience with rebreathers. But twenty five years as a successful Health and Safety specilaist and consultant to the offshore oil and gas industry taught me a thing or two about developing, coordinating and executing safe systems of work in complex high risk environments, as well as developing and delivering safety critical training packages.
A few months before the Rob Stewart tragedy I undertook a course at Add Helium that I have written about previously on Scubaboard. During that time I would have to say that I observed a culture within the Add Helium organization that appeared to be self righteous and self serving. Presentations by Peter Soto’s himself frequently alluded to his understanding of decompression theory and practice being industry leading while mainstream training agencies where not openly derided the impression was that Add Helium was cutting edge and a cut above the rest. In fact when I asked what training agency certification I would be receiving I was told it would be Add Helium’s own in-house “On Course” qualification. I asked then would it be recognized widely and Peter Soto’s told me that if anyone had a problem with it they should call him and he would take care of it!
It became obvious that Add Helium IS Peter Sotis and frankly it was just a little alternative and “cultish”!
My personal view is that Add Helium is an example of what can happen when the internet is manipulated to dispense large quantities of Kool aid and an alternative reality is established. When it comes to training, particularly technical diving training, it is a case of buyer beware and remain discerning throughout the course. Trust your instincts and personal experience/ knowledge, question everything and don’t just accept stuff that doesn’t quite gel just because the instructor expounds it, its your life on the line!

Sounds like you are preeminently qualified to speak to the matter. It also sounds like you are a man of character and have balls the size of coconuts to speak your mind on the matter. Your type of thinking moves diving in a far safer direction.

Back
Top Bottom