The "Smoking" Diver

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Excuse me, but I have been Lurking here awhile trying LEARN new things about SCUBA diving, but this is actually my first post here.

I Find the Close minded, hateful, bigoted, and discriminatory, anti- smoking comments Horribly offencive. There was a time when MOST divers smoked, just as most of the population did at that time. The original question is a valid inquiry, yet some people feel that that berating smokers and spewing how evil smoking is, is somehow remotely helpful to the original topic, or even the Tangent topics.

As for my self, I started diving back in College when I was 40 pounds lighter and ran 5 miles a day. I also did not smoke then. Then I took a Haidas from diving, as my then wife did not dive. About, 6 months ago I got back into diving. Now, I have been smoking for the last 3 years, (trying to quit, but that is neither here nor there,) and have noticed when looking back through my log book that I am using substantially less air than in my college days when I was lighter and in excellent shape.

Personally I think it is mostly due to learning how to breath. Add to that some common sense like hey smokers are use to having less O2 in there lungs than Non-smokers, this is the same idea as runners training at High altitude have the advantage at sea level over runners who train at sea level.

OH-JJ:
Excuse me, but I have been Lurking here awhile trying LEARN new things about SCUBA diving, but this is actually my first post here.

I Find the Close minded, hateful, bigoted, and discriminatory, anti- smoking comments Horribly offencive. There was a time when MOST divers smoked, just as most of the population did at that time. The original question is a valid inquiry, yet some people feel that that berating smokers and spewing how evil smoking is, is somehow remotely helpful to the original topic, or even the Tangent topics.

As for my self, I started diving back in College when I was 40 pounds lighter and ran 5 miles a day. I also did not smoke then. Then I took a Haidas from diving, as my then wife did not dive. About, 6 months ago I got back into diving. Now, I have been smoking for the last 3 years, (trying to quit, but that is neither here nor there,) and have noticed when looking back through my log book that I am using substantially less air than in my college days when I was lighter and in excellent shape.

Personally I think it is mostly due to learning how to breath. Add to that some common sense like hey smokers are use to having less O2 in there lungs than Non-smokers, this is the same idea as runners training at High altitude have the advantage at sea level over runners who train at sea level.

Welcome to the board! Beleive it or not, we are happy to have you here and the fact that you didn't start smoking until just recently may have contributed to the fact that you are with us on SB today! :D Don't take us so seriously.:wink:

That said, how can the above comment you made about smokers and training athletes even mention the words "common sense?" Wow. :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

BTW, The words "discriminatory" and "bigoted" are a joke when used in the context of an anti-smoking discussion. Seriously, your comment offends the fight for racial equality.:D

living in nyc, I think death by cigarette smoke should be the last of your worries.

(I was raised in queens nyc and am actually moving back in less than a month)

aznlmpulse:
I'm considerate enough to not smoke on boat dives or in crowded areas. I actually make a consciencious effort to step away from people if I need a smoke....not 3-5 ft...about 20-30 feet away. I realize that a lot of people have concerns about their health and well being about second hand smoke, and also that the smell might bother them.
Thank you. Seriously. That's all I ask smokers do. To ask you not to smoke would be wrong.:wink: Smoke away, as long I am not forced to share in your habit. I thin it becomes more of an issue in NYC because we have so little personal space as you know. If someone farts on the subway you know about it. If I am next to a smoker on the subway, I can smell it on them too. TMI!:help_2:

Welcome back to Queens soon! We should hit Beach 8th when you return! I saw two Lion Fish there last month or so, crazy! One guy took one home to his tank and I see from your profile that you might be interested in doing the same. PM me! You will be happy and maybe surprised to learn that for the last 8 years NYC (including Queens and I am in Woodside) has ranked 50th in crime out of the largest 50 cities in the US! Yep, NYC is the safest large city in America! Go figure!:D

I have never smoked and if saving a few psi means I have to start...Shoot me now!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I've been reading thru most of this thread about smoking and have to agree it's more about how comfortable you are under the water than about CO2 tolerance and such. Age and conditioning are factors but the biggest factor is how relaxed and calm you are. When you're even the least bit nervous, your heart rate will go up and so will your air consumption.

MikeMc:
I recently had a great diving trip to Okinawa Japan (Excellent Diving !) I dived with a person that smoked every day - I am a non smoker excercise regularly, but am hard on air - the smoker was light on air, always coming up with near 1000psi. left. I was totally knocked out to find that Smoking divers are lighter on air !
Does anybody (Smokers or non-smokers) have comments to add ?
It was the first instance I found of smoking being an advantage.
Looking forward to reading any posts related to this subject.
Bye
MIke

A while back, the Air Force experimented with a stationary bike fitness test that estimated oxygen consumption (or so they claimed). It was quite interesting when the results were that overweight smokers had some of the best results, and thin marathoners and triathletes worse results. I used to fail regularly. However, now that they have gone back to a reasonable test (1 1/2 mile run, push ups, sit ups), I can do pretty good on the test. Too bad I retired from the AF before they started the new test!

Ken

OH-JJ:

I don't know how long ago your college days were, but the better equipment around nowadays might also largely attribute to you using less air now.

OH-JJ:
I Find the Close minded, hateful, bigoted, and discriminatory, anti- smoking comments Horribly offencive.

Shame. I find smoking highly offensive especially when im trying to eat, have a drink or prepare for a dive.
Add to that some common sense like hey smokers are use to having less O2 in there lungs than Non-smokers,

How is that common sense? it makes no sense and infact isnt actually true. O2 levels arent any different. The issue here is carbon monoxide binding to Haemoglobin and other gases causing effects. No mechanism there really for suggesting any difference in SAC.

boulderjohn:
So all the research that was just published a few months ago saying that second hand smoke is more dangerous than was originaly thought is all wrong? Can you describe what was wrong with their methodolgies and conclusions? do you have access to studies that contradict those?

Or is this just your gut feeling?

No there was a special on it on tv a few months back. The research at that time, from government scientists (not tobacco company scientists) said that outdoor smoking poses little risk to non-smokers. Most of the cases of second hand smoke causing lung cancer was caused by long-term exposure from a smoking spouse. I am a researcher (not in the medical sciences) but if you have a link to those studies I can evaluate the methodolgies and conclusions of the studies. However what I do know is that designing a valid study is hard and that most studies prove associations not cause and effect. Also there are many confounding factors. The second leading cause of lung cancer is radon gas, how can you control for that effect being most people do not live in the same house their entire lives? I agree that smokers should be considerate of non-smokers but the street should also run both ways.

Back
Top Bottom