The "Smoking" Diver

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scuba Diving taught me so much respect for air, I can't understand how someone can dive and still smoke. To me, smoking is taking one of the basic elements of life and deliberately trashing it.

caseybird:
Scuba Diving taught me so much respect for air, I can't understand how someone can dive and still smoke. To me, smoking is taking one of the basic elements of life and deliberately trashing it.

That's a little too spiritual for me...

How about this one, live and let live. If someone wants to smoke, they know the consequences, let them.

How about this one, no man is an island. When someone smokes they can influence other people's health including their children and yours. They can cause your insurance costs and taxes to rise through increased illness.

Smoking will still out do AIDS for death and illness in 2025.

Do you really think they know the consequences, do you?

boulderjohn:
She was given a "Brompton's Coctail." I just researched that and learned it as originally made with heroin, but morphine was also used. We were specifially told it had heroin.

The human body will metabolize heroin into morphine before it takes effect.

plot:
That's a little too spiritual for me...

How about this one, live and let live. If someone wants to smoke, they know the consequences, let them.
OK, if that's too spiritual, how about this: We buy air, we analyze our air, we measure our SAC rate, we custom mix air, we pay thousands of dollars to buy tanks and regs that supply our air, we judge other divers and ourselves by how much air we use, we study the effects of air, and when we're underwater we monitor exactly how much air we are carrying with us. We do all this so we will have the air we need to survive.
Then to deliberately ruin air with cigarettes? What's so great about smoking?
I like having air. I don't piss all over it.

caseybird:
OK, if that's too spiritual, how about this: We buy air, we analyze our air, we measure our SAC rate, we custom mix air, we pay thousands of dollars to buy tanks and regs that supply our air, we judge other divers and ourselves by how much air we use, we study the effects of air, and when we're underwater we monitor exactly how much air we are carrying with us. We do all this so we will have the air we need to survive.
Then to deliberately ruin air with cigarettes? What's so great about smoking?
I like having air. I don't piss all over it.

I agree. We go out of our way to make sure nothing as nasty as what can be found in a cigarette makes it into our tanks so why put it in our lungs?

WarrenZ:
The human body will metabolize heroin into morphine before it takes effect.

OK, but the question was whether or not it was originally administered as heroin.

Hey MikeMc
If you start into the technical side it gets even crazier. During our Enriched Air Instructor level training courses they get into how bad smoking is for divers. The follow is a shortened version from what was presentedduring the course, but if you need the real technical stuff see “The Application of Enriched Air Mixtures” by Edward A. Betts.
Oxygen is carried in our blood by Hemoglobin; it has 4 legs that can carry O2. When you smoke 3 of those are taken up, and will no longer carry Oxygen. This is very bad for those of us who need Oxygen to think, move and stay alive.
As far as air consumption that is more a factor of lung volume and how comfortable you are during the dive. The best way to extend your bottom is to hum or sing as you dive this relaxes the reflex to breath “as often” and makes for a longer exhalation that is still safe.
There are a lot of other down sides to smoking and diving like headaches, carbon monoxide build up, increased heart attach……
Britt :fish:
:fish:

I have been smoking for twelve years. Although my diving experience is minimal I have noted that among my dive buddies I have been the only smoker. All dive buddies out weighed me by 50 lbs. plus and I have used 150-300psi less.
Nobody ever mentions anything about nicotine and increased the metabolism or the fact for some of us smoking helps us to relax underwater.
Why does everybody condemn smokers. We are not ignorant of the harmful aspects; we are just addicted.
Why do people attack smokers and don’t say anything about alcoholics. A smoker doesn’t go out smoking and forget what they did or said to their family or got a DUI or possibly hurt somebody. You don’t see television campaigns against alcohol advertising. Maybe the working class can’t afford the expensive medical prescriptions that curb anxiety or stress that are issued out like candy.

Back
Top Bottom