• ScubaPro

Votes: 13 23.6%
  • Dacor

Votes: 2 3.6%
  • Others

Votes: 18 32.7%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If you want your car comparison, here is a version.

Oceanic can be your GM car. It is pretty decent with no specific complaints.
Sherwood is your Honda. It is built tough and will last a long time with no huge problems, but it is not a luxury vechicle.
Aqualung is a Mercedes I guess. In that you can buy one for a fairly descentprice, but they also make a higher end performance model. Questionable to overpricing.
Apeks is your BMW. Even the lowest of their line is a great machine.
Scubapro is like a Lexus. They make good stuff, but it has its limitations in performance and popularity.
Poseidon is like a Ferrari or Lamborgini. It is a great thing but it is not too practical for most due to cost and service charges.

As far as computers go,
Suunto is a Grand Prix. It is very popular due to its value and functionality.
Mares is like Kia SUV. It is not the biggest, best or even very popular, but it will do the job.

Didn't cover everything but hope this helps. Post with any other questions. I think that where most people trying to buy geargo wrong is they investigate certain names or products before they take a look at what is available at their LDS. Go in there is even call them and find out what makes they carry and then come back with them and how much you dive and what type of diving you do. I think that will be the best way to get the advice you want on the names available to you .

When you say that Mares is like a Kia, do you mean just their computer or their entire image? I wouldn't mind driving Kia on a daily 10 mile commute, but I wouldn't want to do cross country with a 5-year old Kia.

Gussy:
I first checked the SeaQuest regs...and since the company was founded by the late Frenchman Jack C, they claim to have the best. The I checked Poseidon, who claims to have the US Navy as a customer as they have the best...supposedly. So, does that make them the BMW? How much should price factor into the equation. I like the Mares Nemo computer, but Suunto also has a nice one at the same price, and guess what...the local shop had another brand.

I am new to diving and recently got my OWD certification.
I was so excited to get my gear I just did a little research, and spoke to a veteran diver. I asked him about ScubaPro, he said I couldn't go wrong with them, good warranty. That was enough for me.
So I bought ScubaPro regs, bc, fins, mask and snorkel. My LDS reccomended the Atmos 2 by Aeris for the dive computer.
I have dove 6 times with it and love it all. So good luck with your selection.
David

Gussy:
When you say that Mares is like a Kia, do you mean just their computer or their entire image? I wouldn't mind driving Kia on a daily 10 mile commute, but I wouldn't want to do cross country with a 5-year old Kia.

sorry I just meant their computer.
Their line, especially regs, is hard to describe. The bottom lin the MR2 are like a kia yes, but when you look at the Abyss and other higher ones, they are right up there, like an Like an Acura NSX or the like. It doesn't look too fancy but will most definetely outperform most others.

Back
Top Bottom