Divebags, how have they changed?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bradlw

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
What is your divebag?
I'm mostly thinking recreational divers, doing either charter cattle boats in tourist areas such as South Florida, or maybe doing shore dives.
but I guess I'm also a little interested in how your tech divers are transporting your stuff

wondering if anything has changed in the 20 years I've been out of the hobby. Any new trends or innovations?

for some reason I was just thinking Dive Bags. I'm a gadget guy I suppose, by nature. And an old Boy Scout at heart. I used to like to be prepared for anything. Had one of those big soft side suitcase looking dive bags. Carried all sorts of stuff in there in addition to my basic regulator, BC, mask, fins and wetsuit. The thing was huge and weighed a ton....and it seemed like it was in the way on the boats.

I remember being a bit jealous of those folks that would show up with those little mesh duffles just barely big enough for their basics minus wetsuit.

I eventually started figuring out that there was wisdom in the KISS principle and started leaning that way but never really perfected the idea.

Anyway, just kinda curious teh percentage of divers going simple vs complicated....and what folks are considering the perfect set-up these days.

For transporting stuff by car, the blue Ikea bags are fab. I wouldn’t take them on a boat

I remember being a bit jealous of those folks that would show up with those little mesh duffles just barely big enough for their basics minus wetsuit.
That's all I take on the boat besides a dry bag and of course my camera rig.

Basically everything in the mesh bag is attached to the tank/BPW or I'm wearing it.

It's a 12 yr old SP mesh bag and has a couple of internal pockets with a rudimentary "save a dive" bits and bobs including a mouthpiece, some bungy, cable ties and some mix of O-rings in a plastic ziplock bag.

While not exactly what you're asking, I use "lobster mesh bags" for retrieving various loot or trash underwater while diving. You can get them for about $25-ish. Plenty of space. They typically have a metal top which opens to a wide metal hoop, which you can easily insert items even in no visibility.

My "backup" underwater bag, is actually a mesh laundry-bag with a bolt-snap, which I rolled up into a tight ball and shoved in a pouch. It takes up minimal space, but if I ever forget my main bag, I have that on me.

I use blue ikea bags. Two of them go on the boat, one dry, one wet. It is probably the most common dive bag I see on my boat.
For travel, I use the old backpack military duffle. The old school canvas round one. I can get everything for in one for two weeks of cave diving for two people and still make airline weight.

I still use the same Stahlsac top zip mesh duffle I bought back in early 2006. Even after 17+ years it's showing no sign of needing to be replaced. These bags are awesome! Top zip is the key. It makes it so much easier to use. This is the current version: Mesh Bags - Bring Everything Except Water

I use this crate for my hard gear that easily fits underneath the boat seat. This is from Light Monkey but many companies make a similar crate. 65.400.000-Gear Crate

I store my "save-a-dive" equipment in this Plano drybox along with my keys and phone:
I put my dry stuff in a simple backpack.

My regs are in a simple two-reg bag from Aqua Lung.

Other than tanks, that is everything I bring on a boat.

I have a Cressi Roatan mesh bag/backpack. I can fit my fins in it (Avanti Quattros), mask, regs, etc., and either my bp/w or my wetsuit - I haven't tried to put both in but I can't see them fitting. I wouldn't use it for airline travel, but it's great for carrying everything to the boat. You can stuff it under the bench when it's empty and it's got a decent sized dry pocket on the inside.

What is your divebag?
I'm mostly thinking recreational divers, doing either charter cattle boats in tourist areas such as South Florida, or maybe doing shore dives.
but I guess I'm also a little interested in how your tech divers are transporting your stuff

wondering if anything has changed in the 20 years I've been out of the hobby. Any new trends or innovations?
Not much. I've got a mesh backpack that I use to transport my gear. I want to say the one I have is Akona and I bought it over 10 years ago. I bought my oldest daughter a similar version back in 2016. My youngest daughter has the exact same bag that I have and I bought hers in 2019. Mines a bit more scuffed up, but otherwise identical.

I have two solutions I use depending on my diving. 95% of the time I have my gear stored in a "short" husky rolling tool box, I can buy it for $80 from HomeDepot.com link. Many of the tech divers in my area use the "tall" tool box from HomeDepot.com for $100 link.

If I'm diving wetsuit everything can go in to the short tool box, if I'm diving dry I will have to hand carry my drysuit and undergarment bag. I have added some additional attachment points to the top of my tool box so that I can use bungees or synch straps to hold my drysuit bag.

If I'm diving on a boat, I use what I call a "boat box". This similar to a milk crate except that it can fold "flat" when not in use. I have bungee cord looping through the top so that I can clip things off so they don't get lost. The bungees also act to hold my fins when walking from my car to the boat. Ill still need to hand carry my drysuit bag and undergarments onto the boat.

For recreational single tank diving, I use either one of these two bags depending on local or travel:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom