THE "PERFECT ( being horizontal ) TRIM" HOAX

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Just a guess on my part, but I suspect that Blackcrusader has his smb shot and without losing depth position long before Clare gets hers out . . .clip, clip clip. :)

In the Maldives, the dm told me that my line was too long. Mine's the same as Clare's but the dm's is only 15 or 20' with a fisherman's lead weight on it. His worked perfectly everytime and he didn't need any more than what he had.
My GUESS as well:
Some people did not realize his/her own limitation so make no effort to progress. When they came on board.......good laugh!
I have learnt quite a few practical things(various) on SB but also surprised by some of the contents.

Thought of this thread when I saw this post from DAN. Interesting all the positive comments. Is that just because it's DAN, or are all these people this clueless? How over waited must these people be?

When I was a new diver, I had a lot of trouble equalizing. A lot. In the earliest dives, peer pressure was a problem for me as I watched everyone in my group happily diving below me while I struggled to equalize near the surface. I had an instructor tell me that diving might not be part of my life because of it. It took a long time, but eventually my frequency of diving led to my ability to equalize pretty easily. I have rarely had any problem in many years.

But sometimes I do, and when that happens, I usually just switch to an upright position, and I clear easily.

My experience tells me that there is no question that it is easier to equalize with your head up. That is why I have no problem whatsoever with newer divers descending fully vertical. Once they are done and equalized, they should adapt their trim to the dive, but you cannot do a dive in any trim at all if you cannot get down to do it.

Is it mandatory to have the cylinder straps loose too? Is it a gym class for cycling?

Thought of this thread when I saw this post from DAN. Interesting all the positive comments. Is that just because it's DAN, or are all these people this clueless? How over waited must these people be?

I think DAN is keeping this super simple, focusing on slower descents to address the ear injury risks associated with fast descents and improperly performed Vasalva technique.

I don't think they are interested in addressing the bicycle kicking, loose cylinder straps, etc..

In order to have a solid video, they'd have to stage the video but first have to spend time to find properly trained divers. DAN ain't got no time for that!

After reading this entire thread...... my opinion is that as long as you have 100% complete and proficient buoyancy control, you are off the reef and you are happy...... and you are in no way endangering or infringing on anyone else's rights to ingress, access, visibility, etc...... then to hell with any other person or any agency telling you what's best for you. There are a lot of us that have had...and still have...... great diving without DIR or GUE or any other self proclaimed delusions of perfection bothering us.

Cheers....

Diving in flat trim is just easier.

The fact that it's more efficient, easier to manoeuvrer around, aids buoyancy control, uses less gas, is stable and too many more benefits to list is just a Billy Bonus.

It has nothing to do with agencies, its just easier.

Do carry on

Diving in flat trim is just easier.

The fact that it's more efficient, easier to manoeuvrer around, aids buoyancy control, uses less gas, is stable and too many more benefits to list is just a Billy Bonus.

It has nothing to do with agencies, its just easier.

Do carry on
Totally agree that diving basically "level" is preferable in most scenarios and particularly when you are on the move under fin power. But for basic descents, ascents, relaxing drift dives, safety stops, etc..... just do what you like and whatever feels right.... and by all means.....do also carry on....... or not! Your choice!

At my stops and on full drift dives I like to hover vertically as it is more comfortable, gives me a better view of everything around and above me..... and in no way affects buoyancy control, maneuverability, gas usage or stability.. And for me personally....... it's just way more comfortable then focusing on saying perfectly horizontal while trying to stick the back of my head onto my ass..

Totally agree that diving basically "level" is preferable in most scenarios and particularly when you are on the move under fin power. But for basic descents, ascents, relaxing drift dives, safety stops, etc..... just do what you like and whatever feels right.... and by all means.....do also carry on....... or not! Your choice!
It takes a bit of training to get to the point where a diver is comfortable being in the horizontal position. It should become second nature. A diver should take the position most appropriate for the situation. I had this conversation with Kees and he was emphatic that GUE does not mandate/require/recommend being horizontal all the time. They just train that way so that it is second nature.

At my stops and on full drift dives I like to hover vertically as it is more comfortable, gives me a better view of everything around and above me..... and in no way affects buoyancy control, maneuverability, gas usage or stability..
I don't think anyone would argue otherwise.

And for me personally....... it's just way more comfortable then focusing on saying perfectly horizontal while trying to stick the back of my head onto my ass..
That's just a lack of training on your part. When you reach a certain skill level, it becomes second nature. You should never have to think about it, you just do it while you enjoy your dive.

Is there a documented test on the quantity of oxygen used between horizontal and vertical position ?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom