Perfecting Buoyancy and Trim

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

@rmills I have had similar issues with my single tank, warm water setup - 5mm wetsuit with aluminum BP/W. Not sure of your height, but I am 6'1 and I naturally found myself foot heavy. I did 3 things to gently change my center of gravity

1- I switched to Scubapro Seawing Nova fins. They are a positively buoyant fin compared to my Hollis F2's which are negative.
2- I made sure that my 3 or 5mm boots (cant remember the thickness) were actually positive and not negative.
3- I added 2 lb's total to the top strap cam-band pockets (1 on either side of the tank)

The combination of those 3 kept my weighting effectively neutral, but changed how it was distributed

@rmills I have had similar issues with my single tank, warm water setup - 5mm wetsuit with aluminum BP/W. Not sure of your height, but I am 6'1 and I naturally found myself foot heavy. I did 3 things to gently change my center of gravity

1- I switched to Scubapro Seawing Nova fins. They are a positively buoyant fin compared to my Hollis F2's which are negative.
2- I made sure that my 3 or 5mm boots (cant remember the thickness) were actually positive and not negative.
3- I added 2 lb's total to the top strap cam-band pockets (1 on either side of the tank)

The combination of those 3 kept my weighting effectively neutral, but changed how it was distributed
@rmills, depending on your fins, if you DO switch to lighter ones, you may in fact need to add some weight back. Try putting 1 or 2-lb weights on the tops of your shoulders with either bungees or weight plates.

Seems like the best solution is for me to get positive buoyant fins. I was hoping that wasn't the case lol. When I bought my current set I didn't realize there are some that are negative and some positive and apparently bought some negative ones. At least they're negative in fresh water.

Seems like the best solution is for me to get positive buoyant fins. I was hoping that wasn't the case lol. When I bought my current set I didn't realize there are some that are negative and some positive and apparently bought some negative ones. At least they're negative in fresh water.
What fins do you have?

From what I can tell from reviews online, SB comments, and personal experience, Deep 6 Eddy fins are some of the most positively buoyant fins. I've been very happy with mine.

@rmills, depending on your fins, if you DO switch to lighter ones, you may in fact need to add some weight back. Try putting 1 or 2-lb weights on the tops of your shoulders with either bungees or weight plates.
I would add for the OP that some people who are already correctly weighted may still add a couple of 1-lb. trim weights to achieve horizontal trim if other options don't work out. A couple of pounds "overweighted" is not a big deal.

You are more or less on a fool’s errand-should you follow some of the advice that has been offered. You are already diving a light tank and bc. You are unusually dense (literally not figuratively).

You should keep your gear, keep your fins and place the weight up high on your tank. There is no sin in wearing 4 lbs more than the theoretical minimum!! Playing with the vertical location of the 3-4 lbs of ballast should get you very close to horizontal!!! Save you money and don’t buy into the pervasive theme that you must wear the minimum amount of lead.

Is there a resource somewhere listing the buoyancy of fins?

The challenge now is how do I achieve natural trim when I don't have any weight to move around?

don’t buy into the pervasive theme that you must wear the minimum amount of lead.
Also don't buy into the pervasive theme that "natural trim" musty be perfectly horizontal.

Back
Top Bottom