The continuing sagas of the Blue Heron Bridge

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OK, dinner is cooked, dishes are clean... Time for some pictures

To the left, just above the frogfish foot, just at the edge of the tail... Incoming!
whitefrofish_110508-10.jpg

I have no idea what type of worm it is, but it sure likes this little guy...
whitefrofish_110508-09.jpg

Dude, stop flashing that thing in my face and brush this stupid worm off me!
whitefrofish_110508-07.jpg

Finally, no worms!
whitefrofish_110508-03.jpg

whitefrofish_110508-04.jpg

I think Anne will need to ID this slug. It was on a beer bottle
slug_110508-03.jpg

slug_110508-01.jpg

Octopi were in the mood to play (When the classes weren't stirring everything up...
octopus_110508-01.jpg

octopus_110508-02.jpg

octopus_110508-06.jpg

arrowcrab_110508-01.jpg

Fireworms taking down an Octopus with their "poisons". Octopus in shock

octofireworm.jpg

Anne Dupont ( author many at BHB know) is requesting video of this predatory behavior of the worm toward the octopus...Apparently, this is a development that is shocking to the scientists that specialize in the octopus -- they want to see a lot more.... I am thinking that there is a huge population of octopus here, and a huge p[opulation of the fire worms...maybe the fireworms ran out of their more standard prey, and rather than go into the classic exponential die of as their prey dissappears, they adapted a new behavior and began preying on the octopus....
It does not appear that the octopus is well equipped to protect it self from the worms, using their traditional strategies--in a beer bottle home, they are catastrophically trapped when a worm decides to enter....
My ideas are just conjecture....the scientists want to actually figure this out for real...thus, the call for some videos.....and potentially more requeasts to come...

Anne Dupont ( author many at BHB know) is requesting video of this predatory behavior of the worm toward the octopus...Apparently, this is a development that is shocking to the scientists that specialize in the octopus -- they want to see a lot more....

Could someone please make sure this news and request is passed on to the powers-that-be regarding the BHB marine sanctuary? Just adds more credence to how important all this is.

I'm astounded. In an excited, way-too-cool way. I carry a little flip along with my still camera on every dive. I posted a photo a few days ago with an octo and two fireworms where he looked like he was holding his own - it didn't look like an attack. Next time I'll stop and watch (and record).

Fireworm attacks seahorse - cover your eyes!

I don't think I've posted this before. I have this thing for seahorses and it just made me too sad. This is from March of this year.

I just took this one (too upset) but I could probably get a better angle as KP took a lot of photos. It looked like the fireworms were eating the seahorse's face. As near as we could tell, the seahorse was dead but very recently as his color was so good and his tail was still hooked around something.

Seahorse Fireworm.jpg

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom