The continuing sagas of the Blue Heron Bridge

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

fisheyeview

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
Ft. Lauderdale, FL (The Diving Capital of the Worl
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
Well, as I seem to be doing a lot of Bridge dives lately I decided to just make one thread and add to it as I shoot more images. Any of you other BHB divers may feel free to add images, or post bridge related stuff here.

***PLEASE BE AWARE; THE BRIDGE IS A NO TAKE ZONE FOR COLLECTING. ANYONE CAUGHT TAKING ANY LIVING THING FROM THE AREA WILL BE TURNED OVER TO THE PARK RANGERS.***

We did the bridge both Saturday and Sunday this past weekend. (4/4 & 4/5) Vis was okay on Saturday, but went to poop on Sunday. I saw a lot of the usual subjects & nudis, but I did find a couple of new things.

Swollen-Claw Mantis Neogonodactylus oerstedii
1239158751_Mantis-Shrimp-2.jpg

Doto varaderoensis
1239158782_nudi-11.jpg

Favorinus auritulus
1239158810_nudi-10.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I wonder about the scientific reason for why there is so much diversity and so many unique critters at this site. Because it is in inland waters or around a bridge? Is it a classic example of "muck diving", Florida style?

I dove the bridge on Sunday too.... I thought the vis was really bad but the water temp was good. I tried to dive the east span fist but gave up after 15 minutes and explored under some of the boats south of the park and then made my way over to the west span. Saw a couple of octopi and the little spotted moray eel.

Thanks for posting the pictures: could you post some details of your camera rig. the photos you post (and have posted in the past) are stunning

I dove the bridge on Sunday too.... I thought the vis was really bad but the water temp was good. I tried to dive the east span fist but gave up after 15 minutes and explored under some of the boats south of the park and then made my way over to the west span. Saw a couple of octopi and the little spotted moray eel.

Thanks for posting the pictures: could you post some details of your camera rig. the photos you post (and have posted in the past) are stunning

Thanks. I have been diving the bridge for 5 or 6 years, but I have never done the west span.

I shoot a Nikon D200 in a Sea & Sea housing with dual INON z220 strobes. At the bridge I shoot my 105mmVR lens. For the really small stuff like the nudis I use a Nexus wet diopter. This really cuts the depth of field, so I crank it down to f36 or f40.

I wonder about the scientific reason for why there is so much diversity and so many unique critters at this site. Because it is in inland waters or around a bridge? Is it a classic example of "muck diving", Florida style?

Dave,

It really is our "muck dive". The bridge spans the intercoastal which makes the water Intertidal. There is a constant heavy tidal flow (either in or out) which washes the area in tons of nutrients. It is also a shallow area protected from the wave actions of the ocean. It is a perfect area for mating & juvenile to grow in a protected area. It is also relatively free of most predation.

Fisheye,
Thanks for your reply. What you say makes sense. Many years ago, when I was a kid, my grandmother used to live in Riviera Beach, and I walked over that bridge many times to go to the beach. I haven't been there since. Maybe I will return someday, but I'm sure it's changed!

I will be keeping an eye on this thread. Your pics are always awesome! Next time be sure to get the nudi to look at you, please :winky:

Dave,

It is a perfect area for mating & juveniles to grow in a protected area. It is also relatively free of most predation.

The above statement is no longer true once you leave the water though, so try not to bring anything fancy or expensive that you won't have with you in the water and lock you car.

Our version of a muck dive is exactly how I often describe it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom