The continuing sagas of the Blue Heron Bridge

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Anne Dupont ( author many at BHB know) is requesting video of this predatory behavior of the worm toward the octopus...Apparently, this is a development that is shocking to the scientists that specialize in the octopus -- they want to see a lot more.... I am thinking that there is a huge population of octopus here, and a huge p[opulation of the fire worms...maybe the fireworms ran out of their more standard prey, and rather than go into the classic exponential die of as their prey dissappears, they adapted a new behavior and began preying on the octopus....
It does not appear that the octopus is well equipped to protect it self from the worms, using their traditional strategies--in a beer bottle home, they are catastrophically trapped when a worm decides to enter....
My ideas are just conjecture....the scientists want to actually figure this out for real...thus, the call for some videos.....and potentially more requeasts to come...
Anne contacted me. I will give her as much as information that I can.

It is true there are a lot of fireworms at BHB. You have to be very careful if you touch the bottom for any reason.

With all the divers there yesterday there have to more pictures to be posted by someone........

You've set the bar pretty dern high. But, I agree. I *love* seeing *all* the photos folks post here.

Kevin

As a reminder....A good way to avoid getting hooked is to surface briefly before you swim through areas commonly fished. i.e. fishing pier, wall on west side of the park, main bridge supports, etc.

This is standard practice for us. If someone is fishing in a certain area, we give them plenty of room.

Agreed: most of the people fishing are very cool and are nice folks: every once in a while you do find a real jerk. My buddy and I were under the main west span, about half way between the 2nd and 3rd set of pilings (west of the beach) and at about the midpoint of the bridge (north/south) so our flag was very visible. It seemed pretty obvious the guy casting from the fishing pier was aiming for us since he dropped his hook and line right in front of us a few times before he actually got the line tangled in my buddies gear. We assumed it was an honest mistake on the part of the fisherman at first, but after a couple more tosses in our direction, we assumed it was not an accident. I did not feel terribly bad when I cut the line and I am sure glad I had the Sea Shears with me.

I have tangled my dive flag line in a fishing line two times: both times I surfaced and the fisherman and I were able to communicate and work through getting the monofilament and the dive flag line untangled.

Anne Dupont ( author many at BHB know) is requesting video of this predatory behavior of the worm toward the octopus...Apparently, this is a development that is shocking to the scientists that specialize in the octopus -- they want to see a lot more.... I am thinking that there is a huge population of octopus here, and a huge p[opulation of the fire worms...maybe the fireworms ran out of their more standard prey, and rather than go into the classic exponential die of as their prey dissappears, they adapted a new behavior and began preying on the octopus....
It does not appear that the octopus is well equipped to protect it self from the worms, using their traditional strategies--in a beer bottle home, they are catastrophically trapped when a worm decides to enter....
My ideas are just conjecture....the scientists want to actually figure this out for real...thus, the call for some videos.....and potentially more requeasts to come...

Ben,

Dr James Wood said:

”My best guess is that the octopus was at the end of its life - a normal healthy octopus would be able to avoid these worms.”
James B. Wood Ph.D.
Associate Director of the Waikiki Aquarium
Webmaster of The Cephalopod Page
Co-author: "Octopus - The Ocean's Intelligent Invertebrate"

I guess we are just noticing this behavior since there are so many octo at the bridge.
Thanks again for your picture. Anne

Did the bridge again. 82*, 2:10 bottom time.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

We went today and did not see the abundance of fireworms seen in recent weeks--it's as though they KNEW we were onto'em somehow. The octos are still there though--lost count and our group quit pointing them out after 5 or 16. Very good viz- 25 or so, and an honest 80 on the temperature scale.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom