The big guys quietly pushing out the little guy

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

AMAResQ46

Reaction score
As if we in the public safety dive community didn't have enough obstacles to overcome, now we have another one in the works. For those of you who haven't heard SSI and Dive Rescue International announced a "strategic alliance". No biggie right? Not as I see it. I don't know about you guys, but every team I've ever been involved with relies on the ability to have local vendors bid for contracts wether it be training or equipment. It's always been an effective way of regulating what people are looking to charge us. If vendor A is going to charge me twice as much as vendor B, I go with vendor B. No brainer. Case and point, our last batch of guys went through ERDI training because the independant (key word - independant) shop was able to set a price point on training and gear that allowed us to train and equip three guys for the price of two. Now here we have SSI teaming up with DRI, who as we all know does direct sales of their "endorsed" gear. What about the shops? So, let me get this straight now, not only have they limited my choices as to where I can train my guys, but now they are setting up a monopoly on equipment sales too. Way to show your commitment to the guys that suck it up and dive in conditions that make the tough guys cringe. Believe me, I understand that SSI and DRI had some sort of history and that in this economy every business has to tweak its model, but don't put the hurt on the local guys that have been helping teams get squared away for years. I know my department's budget isn't getting bigger, I need to be able to shop around for the deals, so I can stretch the gear and training budget that the politicos keep shrinking on us.

I'm sure Blades and the boys will tell you that the Union with DRI and SSI will be in a position to provide you with better service. So the question is.., how does this affect you? Have you done any training with SSI in the past? If it is a matter of losing choices ..., two is still better than none. If you've never done PSD training with SSI, you still have the same choices out there. Sometimes you know..., bigger is better.

If it's an issue.., go back to the ERDI guy down the road.

The best way to get the best training at the best price is to develop your own in-house instructional cadre, Be sure that if they certify with an agency, they choose one that provides them with complete academic freedom to tailor all details of the program to your needs. None of the outside folks who train PSDs for a living can, IMHO, do it as well.

If you are talking equipment: why limit yourself to the local LDS. They are a SCUBA business out to support the overhead of their shop.

Check out the other commercial outfits like DECA Diving, Amron, BayTech Industries, Commercial Diving supply, Divers Supply, Jack Vila's, etc. they probably carry every thing you need and as long as it is not a personal-fit item, you can probably get a good price from a larger outfit.

As far as training, I think you are being short sighted. I agree with Thalassamania.

I need to be able to shop around for the deals, so I can stretch the gear and training budget that the politicos keep shrinking on us.

As one of the senior partners at Dive Rescue International, I strongly encourage ALL dive teams to shop around and to work hard to get the best bang for their buck. It is not only fiscally prudent, it is the LAW in most states ... especially when teams are spending taxpayer dollars.

In EXACTLY the same way ERDI has a relationship with SDI and TDI ... in EXACTLY the same way PSDA has a relationship with IDEA ... in EXACTLY the same way LGS has a relationship with ACUS ... Dive Rescue International has recently restated their relationship with SSI. This is a relationship that has been in effect since 1977.

Since 1977, local dive stores (not just SSI stores) have hosted Dive Rescue International training programs across the nation. While Dive Rescue International typically works directly with fire departments, rescue squads, sheriffs offices and police departments, we know in many small communities, dive teams are based out dive stores and their team equipment is stored in trailers parked outside. Dive Rescue International works hard to provide cost effective training to these teams too.

Scuba Schools International does not want to write a public safety diver course and they don't want to get in the business of certifying public safety divers. They would like to have an ability to meet the needs of their retailers and meet the needs of the public safety dive teams served by the SSI stores. They recognize that Dive Rescue International will meet their needs and this was announced in a recent press release.

It is a responsible way of making certain that teams served by local dive stores have access to the best training available. If your local dive store would like to host a Dive Rescue International training program, please have them call our office. Our services are available to any agency or any store who has a need. We can be contacted toll free at 800-248-3483.

I will also reassert that Dive Rescue International training is provided ONLY to members of recognized public safety dive teams. We will not provide training to the general public. If anyone has any concerns regarding Dive Rescue International providing training through a SSI facility, or any other facility (PADI, NAUI, YMCA or others) please contact me via a private message or give me a call.

Dive Rescue International's goal is to provide the best training at the most affordable prices and to reduce injury and line of duty death in the PSD community.

If anyone is offended by those goals, I make no apologies.

Good post, Blades.

AMA - I don't see what the problem is. As Blades' says ALL legitimate PSD agencies are aligned with one or another rec agency - has been this way from the early days as I understand it. DRI has the best marketing and advertising out there of all the PSD agencies IMO. Why does this upset you?
It's interesting on how we might "measure" who the biggest PSD agency is. Is it the number of instructors, number of classes taught, number of certified members, international involvement or the bank account? I think we'd come up with a different agency everytime. What does it matter? Find one that fits your team and be happy

A comment about always going to the lowest bidder: All "PSD" training courses and equipment are not created equal - you get what you pay for.

Having personally set-up hosting for two DRI classes, I can tell you DRI has a very favorable sliding scale were you can send x amount of your personnel for free if x amount of seats are sold for the class. Two years ago was the last time we hosted a class and we were able to train seven divers for the price of two. DRI does have equipment and a sales department, but we were under no obligation to purchase gear from them. In fact, we use a local dive shop for a good portion of our gear. Certain speciality gear is purchased through bids and we have worked closely with Amaron Intl., OTS and others. Again, these purchases had no bearing on our relationship with DRI or any other PSD training agency.

I have personally been through several courses of training provided by most of the PSD training agencies out there. There is nothing to say you have to commit yourself to only one.

If I recall, DRI and SSI had a partnership when DRI first came into being. I was unaware that they even seperated, nor that it matttered. I hold a fist full of PADI cards and that has no bearing on my PSD training.

Bottom line is, I don't see DRI/SSI combo pushing the LDS or any other PSD training agencies out of business. All have something to offer, some offer courses that others don't. Some can swing deals that others can't. You decide what training you need and find the best price for the training. We're all in the same boat as far as getting the best bang for our shrinking buck.

The Bottom line for the LDS is thin enough these days. Agencies already take there fair share in fees and material costs. Also by selling travel directly from the database generated by the LDS. The online option has made the bottom line even thinner. Now SSI is in the equipment bussiness. Pretty soon all the LDS will have is "Air Fills".
As far as you thinking "I don't see DRI/SSI combo pushing the LDS or any other PSD training agencies out of business. " Have you looked around lately; LDS's are dropping like flies.
Training agencies have dive centers that promote their educational programs. Such as NAUI, SDI, TDI, PDIC and PADI do.
SSI boasts "Scuba Schools International is a world-wide leader in diving education that specializes in business support for dive businesses."
Seems to me that they have decided to eat their young. Since they are already eating their words.

Talk to your LDS about this get their opinion and come back and post.

Now SSI is in the equipment bussiness.

I don't believe this is correct. If it is then it is news to me. I have gone on the SSI website and I see no indication of them selling retail dive equipment.

If you mistakenly meant DRI, I will say that DRI has supported public safety dive teams with equipment sales since 1977. DRI does NOT sell mask, fins, snorkels, regulators or BCs so I hardly think one would consider our PSD equipment sales are in competition with the local dive stores.

There are many reasons why local dive stores are dropping like flys but to make DRI and their relationship with SSI the scapegoat for a local dive store's failure is illogical in my opinion.

In fact, DRI is working in partnership with local dive stores nationwide in an effort to support them and their PSD clients. Instead of the LDS instructor going away for a week of training to get certified to teach PSD they can contract with DRI instructors to teach these specialized programs on their behalf. DRI provides a reasonable commission to the hosting dive store and DRI provides the specialized equipment needed to teach the program successfully (the LDS does not have to purchase FFM, Comms, lift bags, surface supplied air panels, helmets, etc).

The local dive store is in COMPLETE control and if the math or cost/benefit factor doesn't work in their favor, then they don't host a DRI program. The choice is with the LDS, not with DRI.

SSI has endorsed the DRI training based on their research. PADI, NAUI, PDIC and a host of other agencies could do the same. DRI considers the SSI endorsement an honor. We would be honored to teach through your local dive store too. We will work hard to establish a win/win/win situation that is good for the local dive store, DRI and (most importantly) the local dive team. Dive Rescue International can be reached toll free at 800-248-3483.

Also, I welcome chuck5atm to ScubaBoard. I noticed this is chuck5atm's first post!

Respectfully,

Blades Robinson, Director
Dive Rescue International
www.diverescueintl.com

Three cheers for DRI, who is in a win win situation. However the issue is SSI endorsing the direct sales of equipment to the end user, which just puts another hand in the pocket of the LDS. This directly contributes to a lower margin for the dive retailer. I didn't mean to imply that DRI was culpable. DRI is simply doing business as usual. SSI on the other hand has publicly stated ªóhen we were looking to enter this market,"
That phrase was attributed to Doug McNeese, SSI President & CEO. Which means to me the "MARKET".
The complete press release can be seen by going to: DiveNewsWire edition #22.09 on the web.
You say it is an endorsement, the press release calls it "a strategic partnership".

All that I am saying is that none of the previously mentioned agencies endorse the direct sale of equipment to the end user. DRI sell equipment to the end user, SSI as a partner endorses it. Where does it mean to the SSI, LDS???
That's my logic.

Thanks for welcoming me to SB

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom