Thank heavens for PADI

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MikeFerrara:
PADI may indeed be the future of diving but not if I have anything to say about it.

They are sure good at selling something, it's just that some of us have a hard time calling what they sell "diving".

I think it could be called underwater tourism or underwater sight seeing or something like that but not diving.

I also think that their low standards may eventually catch up with them. Of course, I shouldn't single PADI out here because some of the other agencies are doing their level best to compete on similar terms.

I also wouldn't refer to a good class as "boot camp" either as some one did earlier in the thread. Just a little more time and effort early on in training can really speed things up later on. You can end up with a much better diver with only a little more time and effort.
Hopefully you saw my earlier post regarding instructor oversight - I'm not a PADI fanatic and do not instruct for them any longer.

However, while there have been cirriculum changes in PADI (and the other agencies) over the years, I have not seen them get progressively less stringent to any great degree. Comparing PADI's new book and DVD that my son used earlier this year to a copy of the PADI manual from 20 years ago, the two are similar in subjects presented and the depth of presentation. The instructor cards are also similar enough that I submit they are functionally equivalent.

Given the above, I think your comment that their low standards will catch up with them have effectively been proven wrong. Either the standards are sufficient for most recreational diving (and I won't get into a semantic arguement, e.g. underwater sightseeing), or most people aren't Darwin candidates like a number of people on this board assume. Frankly, I think it's a bit of both.

Lastly, I'm all for the removal of the physical test (crawling in full SCUBA for X yards) and the restating of physics principles (e.g. Boyles Law) in words more approachable by your average person for the job at hand - knowing how these principles affect *diving*.

gj62:
Hopefully you saw my earlier post regarding instructor oversight - I'm not a PADI fanatic and do not instruct for them any longer.

However, while there have been cirriculum changes in PADI (and the other agencies) over the years, I have not seen them get progressively less stringent to any great degree. Comparing PADI's new book and DVD that my son used earlier this year to a copy of the PADI manual from 20 years ago, the two are similar in subjects presented and the depth of presentation. The instructor cards are also similar enough that I submit they are functionally equivalent.

Given the above, I think your comment that their low standards will catch up with them have effectively been proven wrong. Either the standards are sufficient for most recreational diving (and I won't get into a semantic arguement, e.g. underwater sightseeing), or most people aren't Darwin candidates like a number of people on this board assume. Frankly, I think it's a bit of both.

Lastly, I'm all for the removal of the physical test (crawling in full SCUBA for X yards) and the restating of physics principles (e.g. Boyles Law) in words more approachable by your average person for the job at hand - knowing how these principles affect *diving*.

You could be right.

PADI standards have changed a great deal though reference the "dive today philosophy"

Luckily the plain fact of the matter though is that a person can strap on scuba gear and walk around on the bottom for a while and climb out again without knowing very much and usually without injury especially when being led around by a DM.

Now if we measure training effectiveness by the size and density of silt clowds, the number of unintentional ascents, smashed coral or something other measure of diver skill rather than injuries things might start to look a little different.

You are correct about the material not changing much. They still teach buoyancy control almost as an unimportant afterthought or like the bc was just invented and hasn't been fully integrated into the course yet. Yet according to DAN, many buoyancy control problems and rapid ascent are reported in a large percentage of dives that result in injury. It's a system that can be hard on new divers who haven't had time to teach themselves yet.

diverrick:
or this thread will quickly degenerate into the same old debate.

Which, no doubt, was the intent when it was started.

MikeFerrara:
You could be right.

PADI standards have changed a great deal though reference the "dive today philosophy"

Luckily the plain fact of the matter though is that a person can strap on scuba gear and walk around on the bottom for a while and climb out again without knowing very much and usually without injury especially when being led around by a DM.

Now if we measure training effectiveness by the size and density of silt clowds, the number of unintentional ascents, smashed coral or something other measure of diver skill rather than injuries things might start to look a little different.

You are correct about the material not changing much. They still teach buoyancy control almost as an unimportant afterthought or like the bc was just invented and hasn't been fully integrated into the course yet. Yet according to DAN, many buoyancy control problems and rapid ascent are reported in a large percentage of dives that result in injury. It's a system that can be hard on new divers who haven't had time to teach themselves yet.
Dive Today is the resort "Scuba Intro" that's been around awhile. I know there are programs that attempt to pack an OW course into a weekend - not what I'd recommend, but not a large departure in philosophy.

It would be nice if more care was given to diving skills overall, but I'd rather see safety come before other skills (such as not silting up the coral, etc). I think these issues are quickly dealt with as the diver is exposed to new types of dives (for example, this isn't an issue in NorCal - no silt to stir up...). Some may never learn - but this is not an agency issue. And, this has not changed - there are just *more* divers than their used to be - not different divers.

Beyond that, I guess we just disagree. Most of my buddies (new and old) dive with PADI, NAUI, SSI etc. cards in their wallet - I fail to see a significant distinction in knowledge or ability when exiting the class. I think they are safe and reasonably skilled for brand new divers (4 dives). They understand (but have not mastered) the concept of perfect bouyancy control. Yes, they often struggle with this somewhat for the first 10 or so dives. However, there is little evidence (at least on DAN) to suggest that it is only the newer diver that is at-risk, even from bouyancy issues.

Lawman:
<snip>

The industry needs to expand to survive.

This assumption is worth discussing.

I disagree. The scuba market doesn't need to be a growth market to survive. It can and will sustain itself at a certain level based on a given level of interest, the fact that young people will always get into the sport and the fact that stuff wears out.

A stable market may not support 25 (or is it more?) gear manufacturers, trash magazines like Rodales or a gazillion instructors working for little more than sex and beer but a smaller stable market *could* focus it's priorities on quality and I like the sound of that.

R..

Diver0001:
This assumption is worth discussing.

I disagree. The scuba market doesn't need to be a growth market to survive. It can and will sustain itself at a certain level based on a given level of interest, the fact that young people will always get into the sport and the fact that stuff wears out.

A stable market may not support 25 (or is it more?) gear manufacturers, trash magazines like Rodales or a gazillion instructors working for little more than sex and beer but a smaller stable market *could* focus it's priorities on quality and I like the sound of that.

R..
In our economy, most businesses will generally try to grow and maximize revenues/profits. If businesses in that market segment are profitable, other people will start businesses in that segment in an attempt to capitalize on the demand.

Since the SCUBA industry is not regulated by an independent group that is tied to something other than a profit motive, I do not believe that your comments are on target... The business will continue to grow as long as there is a demand. However, that is nowhere near a sure thing (just look at tennis)...

Diver0001:

R..

Hey wait a minute .... teaching scuba for sex? I must have missed that part of my IE. Sounds good to me, where do i sign up?

gj62:
Dive Today is the resort "Scuba Intro" that's been around awhile. I know there are programs that attempt to pack an OW course into a weekend - not what I'd recommend, but not a large departure in philosophy.

No. The dive today philosophy is the PADI term for the methodology underwhich they have been systematically restructuring all their courses under the last few years.

Some of the key changes to OW for example includes things like...OW dive 1 can be done after CW dive one and before knowledge development. This makes it so a diver can come in off the street and jump in the water immediately after a briefing, to do a "resort course" but the whole thing can be credited towards the OW certification as CW 1 and OW dive 1. Allong with that change there are no skills required on dive 1. You see..."Dive today"

At one time all the classroom and all the pool had to be completed prior to any OW diving.

Of course what I could never understand as a PADI instructor is how you're supposed to take some one on an OW dive after CW 1 when neutral swimming isn't introduced until CW 3!

Any way that's the dive today thing also refered to for a while as part of "Essential Change" (another PADI term).
It would be nice if more care was given to diving skills overall, but I'd rather see safety come before other skills (such as not silting up the coral, etc).

Review the DAN report. What I'm saying is that lack of buoyancy control skills IS the cause (directly or indirectly) of many accidents. I personally have seen several divers hauled off in ambulances after rapid ascents.
I think these issues are quickly dealt with as the diver is exposed to new types of dives (for example, this isn't an issue in NorCal - no silt to stir up...). Some may never learn - but this is not an agency issue. And, this has not changed - there are just *more* divers than their used to be - not different divers.

It may not be unique to PADI but it is an agency standards issue. Using the PADI standards as an example because I was a PADI instructor until the first of this year and I know them pretty well...The PADI OW course requires a student to be neutrally buoyant for less that 2 minutes out of the entire class! In CW 3 a 10 meter neutral swim is required which can be done in less than 1 minute and a 1 minute hover in any position is required in CW 4. During OW 4 the student must get neutral some time during the dive for a now unspecified period of time. It used to be a 1 minute hover.

Less than 2 minutes total and the rest of the class can be done sitting or crawling on the bottom and be totally within the standards.
Beyond that, I guess we just disagree. Most of my buddies (new and old) dive with PADI, NAUI, SSI etc. cards in their wallet - I fail to see a significant distinction in knowledge or ability when exiting the class.

I never said that the other big agencies were significantly better. I think they are safe and reasonably skilled for brand new divers (4 dives). They understand (but have not mastered) the concept of perfect bouyancy control. Yes, they often struggle with this somewhat for the first 10 or so dives. [/QUOTE]

Exactly my point. I don't certify divers who are strugling with the very most basic aspects of diving. In fact I won't take them to OW for their very first dive.

Of course they get it a lot faster if they understand the basics of balance and trim which is nowhere in the class and have a little time to practice which also isn't required.
However, there is little evidence (at least on DAN) to suggest that it is only the newer diver that is at-risk, even from bouyancy issues.

Absolutely not true! In last years report (It think it was last years) buoyancy control problems were reported on somewhere around 60% of the dives that resulte in fatalities. It wasn't reported last year but the year before buoyancy control problems were reported in like 40% of the dives that resulted in injury.

Sorry but take away the hear attacks and for the most part it's the divers with poor skills who get hurt. Also many (don't recall numbers) are divers with little recent experience and or little training. Poor skills.

As I said though a diver can dive without any skills at all and likely not be injured. That's not proof of good training.

I dived for years before I ever took a class and never came close to getting hurt. Does that mean my training was good? If you think so, I'll point out that my first 2 dives were alone!

Breathing isn't that hard and surviving it doesn't prove you are well trained.

gj62:
In our economy, most businesses will generally try to grow and maximize revenues/profits. If businesses in that market segment are profitable, other people will start businesses in that segment in an attempt to capitalize on the demand.

I don't understand your point. A stable demand is still demand. It doesn't need to be growth based to be a demand.

R..

gedunk:
Hey wait a minute .... teaching scuba for sex? I must have missed that part of my IE. Sounds good to me, where do i sign up?

What? You don't get paid in sex? I thought everyone was paid in sex.

R..

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom