Thank heavens for PADI

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sheck33 once bubbled...

no, not the PADI system, you can.

i do not dole out criticisms equally, if that is how you interpreted what i wrote i guess i wasnt clear enough. My point was that, while, IMO, PADI is the main offender, i have some issues with other agency's as well.

but this is an unsolvable case of disagreement, and that is fine.
you keep working on producing competent divers, i'll work on my thing and i will try very hard to stop caring, how about that.

.... but don't stop caring. I know i sometimes sound like i agree 100% with PADI, 100% of the time, but i don't. I just don't agree that certifying via PADI, automatically means an incompetent diver.

I totally understand what your saying since we compete against classes that spend 5-6 hours in the pool for CW, call it good and head to OW. I just don't like being lumped into that group and am not afraid to say so. We work our noogies off to make our OW classes as thorough as possible, and it ain't easy.

Yeah, we will never probably agree 100% but we don't need to. Like i told you earlier, i respect your opinion, i just don't agree with all of it.

Dive on bro! :)

I posted this thread to praise PADI for having the business sense
to publicize and promote an obscure sport/activity to the point
that a diving industry exists. Without PADI promoting diving as
a fun hobby that nearly anyone can learn it still would be something done by a few daredevils. There wouldn't be any dive industry, few dive instructors, few manufacturers, a handfull of dive boats and damn few divers. PADI presented diving as fun and not SEAL training for people with a high pain threshold.
PADI gives basic training in staying alive under the water. Thats enough for an occasional trip to Lake Muddy. The people on this board want more and have gotten extra training. Everyone that learns to fly a Piper isn't going to fly multi-engine or jets. I learned
to fly enough to solo in a lot fewer hours than it took to learn to dive. So let us all learn and get experience at our own speed and under our choice of conditions. Not all of us are ready for the NFL yet. PADI,SSI and NAUI will take a diver as far as they want to go.Some just take a longer path than others. These systems all work. If they didn't we'd all be dead.:)

Your on. I'll get to the PNW someday, i've never gotten wet there and have always wanted to. And you need to get to the Great Lakes for our wreck diving. It's world class.

gedunk once bubbled...
Your on. I'll get to the PNW someday, i've never gotten wet there and have always wanted to. And you need to get to the Great Lakes for our wreck diving. It's world class.

will do

gedunk once bubbled...
By the way, hats off to lawman. Another 400+ post thread.

Sneaky bastage isn't he? :devious:

.... Sneaky Bastage!

I posted this thread months ago [under a rougher SB] but it's worth discussing again. I think PADI is the future. They know how to promote the sport and they make it fun, not boot camp.
Diving is inherently intimidating and a lighter approach will attract and keep more people.

What do the rest of you think?

Lighter approach will get people killed too.

What's the risk worth - 150 lives a year, 100 lives a year.... Just asking

There is always insurance.......

Methinks you've been drinking a bit too much of whatever beverage they serve at PADI DM training.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom