Teric owners, have you required repair or replacement service?

Teric owners, have you required repair or replacemant service?

• No

Votes: 82 45.3%
  • Yes, repair

Votes: 35 19.3%
  • Yes, replacement

Votes: 16 8.8%
  • Yes, multiple repair and/or replacement

Votes: 38 21.0%
  • Other, see post

Votes: 10 5.5%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Unfortunately, not to be. I just finished my trip to Malpelo. The Teric worked perfectly the first 11 dives. On Dive 12, I glanced down and had the comms error on my Teric while my trusty Oceanic VT3 was giving me my cylinder pressure. When I got back to the RHIB, I confirmed the antenna failure by linking in direct contact with the transmitter and losing the link a few inches away.

I will contact my friends Richard and Michele at Dive-Tronix when I get home from Colombia ☹️
Have others also reported this loss of comms issue that you've had?

BTW - how was Malpelo this time - your second trip there, right?
I will write up a detailed trip report when I get home.

It was a great trip, 21 dives, 23 hours in 7 days. It was a bit different than my visit in 2021, I will elaborate in my report

Yes, four others in this thread that never got going
Specific reasons(s) for sending in your Teric for repair(s) and/or replacement

Yes, in speaking to Richard and Michele at Dive-Tronix. No idea how frequently. I was under the impression that the antenna connection to the circuit board had been improved
I only remember reading about YOUR antenna problems....so maybe it is a rare event? It is there something about the way you dive/wear the Teric/handle your gear that maybe makes you particularly vlunerable?

I only remember reading about YOUR antenna problems....so maybe it is a rare event? It is there something about the way you dive/wear the Teric/handle your gear that maybe makes you particularly vlunerable?
I don't think so. I had this conversation with Richard Morton. No trauma, drops, or rough handling. Do you have something else in mind?

I don't think so. I had this conversation with Richard Morton. No trauma, drops, or rough handling. Do you have something else in mind?
No, not trying to be cryptic. Could be lots of things. Storage at high temps, rough handling during travel, shaking water off, a whole of list of potentially traumatic events that are not related directly to how you dive.

Well my battery woes continue apace. I treat both computers the same, I dive them until they reach about 60% and charge at the same time. I download at the same time. Basically treated the same. Charged on a provided Peregrine charger.

Primary 62% - Battery last replaced 08/27/22 42 dives approximately 3 days dive time
Backup 78% - Battery last replaced 02/09/23 22 dives just under 2 days dive time

Some may say that I am being unrealistic to expect similar battery life, but I wear a Suunto 7 smartwatch that I've had for three years now. Draining it approximately 50% everyday, with no noticeable loss in battery life.

Well my battery woes continue apace. I treat both computers the same, I dive them until they reach about 60% and charge at the same time. I download at the same time. Basically treated the same. Charged on a provided Peregrine charger.

Primary 62% - Battery last replaced 08/27/22 42 dives approximately 3 days dive time
Backup 78% - Battery last replaced 02/09/23 22 dives just under 2 days dive time

Some may say that I am being unrealistic to expect similar battery life, but I wear a Suunto 7 smartwatch that I've had for three years now. Draining it approximately 50% everyday, with no noticeable loss in battery life.
I’m not following what your battery “woes” are? You seem to be saying that you got ~3 days (72 hours) of dive time out of the Primary and it was still at 62% and you got a bit less than 2 days (~46 hours) out of the back up and it was down to 78%?

That seems pretty good battery life to me and not a huge difference in discharge vs dive time between the 2 (0.53%/hr vs 0.49%/hr)? What am I missing?

That seems pretty good battery life to me and not a huge difference in discharge vs dive time between the 2 (0.53%/hr vs 0.49%/hr)? What am I missing?

That isn't my diving time between charges, just diving time since battery replacement. Just to give an idea of the battery wear cycles.

I typically go three diving days or about six hours diving time between charges, plus daily downloading of the dives. So it got at most 10-15 battery wear cycles. A good lithium battery should be good for at least 500 wear cycles, with many these days being able to do a 1,000 wear cycles due to improvements in battery chemistry and charging circuit intelligence.

The batteries last about a year, and then suddenly they lose the ability to hold a charge. Which is why you see a 16% difference in charge.

That isn't my diving time between charges, just diving time since battery replacement. Just to give an idea of the battery wear cycles.

I typically go three diving days or about six hours diving time between charges, plus daily downloading of the dives. So it got at most 10-15 battery wear cycles. A good lithium battery should be good for at least 500 wear cycles, with many these days being able to do a 1,000 wear cycles due to improvements in battery chemistry and charging circuit intelligence.

The batteries last about a year, and then suddenly they lose the ability to hold a charge. Which is why you see a 16% difference in charge.
I’m still not clear on what the 62% and 78% readings mean - how long after you recharged them did it take to get to those readings?

I’d agree that, based on my experience, the new batteries are solid for a period (maybe a year?) and then don’t hold charge as well after that - but I don’t find it be a real issue. If I have to recharge each night on a dive trip (like my iPhone already requires) it would not be a big deal to me.

Back
Top Bottom