My nastygram to SRI over the Teric Battery Issues

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

and in a pinch I can shove anything that fits in the hole in it and keep diving.
In the words of George Takei, Oh myyyyyy.....
All jokes aside, the rechargeable battery is actually a great idea. My only qualm is needing to bring yet another charger on my trips.

In the words of George Takei, Oh myyyyyy.....
All jokes aside, the rechargeable battery is actually a great idea. My only qualm is needing to bring yet another charger on my trips.
I actually have one battery charger that works well for all my dive gear that takes a battery, aside from the GoPro. Flashlights use Lithium 18650s and my Perdix uses Lithium 14500. There are chargers dedicated to either size, but there are also universal chargers that accept both. I just bring that. It's basically a 18650 charger with a sliding contact on the negative side. Open all the way for the 18650, open a smaller amount for the 14500.

My charger won't work for the Eneloop NiCds mentioned, but works great for Lithium 14500s and 18650s.

For what its worth my Teric battery lasts for months on standby with multiple pool dives included. I only charge it below 25% and only on the included SW charger. The computer is a 2022. Guessing they had issues with some batches of batteries and mine is not one of the issues.

I just submitted another service request for my Teric for the 3rd time for this issue.

- Original unit purchased June 2018
- Completely replaced by Shearwater November 2019 due to fast battery discharge
- Serviced, including battery replacement, by Shearwater April 2022 due to fast battery discharge

Now it's losing 80% charge in a few days again. It's a beautiful computer but what a pain.

I ended up buying a non-AI Perdix 1 last year as a backup and one quality Lithium AA lasted my entire dive season.

I just submitted another service request for my Teric for the 3rd time for this issue ...

I just received my RMA back from Shearwater. They simply sent me an entirely new computer, new serial number in retail packaging, manufacturing date is Feb 7, 2024 and it's still at 80% battery opened a month later, so at least for now it looks like the battery problem is solved.

No info on what was/is wrong with the old computer. Hopefully third time's a charm!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom