Votes: 12 5.5%
  • Fold up snorkel in BCD

Votes: 38 17.4%
  • No snorkel

Votes: 132 60.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I like to see what's going on underwater, whether on SCUBA or not. Found a lot of interesting things over the years looking down from the surface.

Bob

Same here.

I like to see what's going on underwater, whether on SCUBA or not. Found a lot of interesting things over the years looking down from the surface.

Bob

I flip over and pop my head underwater every now and then to take a look. I do feel that I might be missing something during my swim, but Im much faster on my back compared to head down.

Tie a grimloc clip to the mouth piece, clip to a d-ring and stick the other end under the waist strap. Or something. That's how I'd carry mine if I ever took it out of the bag when diving.

It's one of these, comes with fairly wide bore that won't try to suffocate you and splash guard that works -- up to a point of course.

Dont forget you could strap it to your leg like a dive knife

That snorkel looks much better than the other soft snorkels i have seen

In the bag. If the dive can have a surface swim (beach entry for example) I may put it on. Only if I am diving a single tank rec diving is it even an option.

I found my first snorkel tended to pull on my mask when diving or catch on my BCD shoulder straps, Its bracket broke and I lost it during a dive. It was fine for snorkelling. I now have 3. A cressi with valves top and bottom, I do not carry it when diving. I have a Tusa hyperdry and a similar unbranded snorkel. These are used by my wife and son for snorkelling. I find for the few times it would be handy to have a snorkel are more than offset by the inconvenience of carrying it. Long surface swims are done on our back with a well inflated BCD so we can chat.

looks like SB is largely a no snorkel zone thanks everyone for sharing

upload_2019-2-7_22-7-37.png

I find a snorkel to be very useful for, well, snorkeling. Which I like. It's great, you don't have that big heavy air tank, you don't run out of air, and there's lots to see.

A good hour of snorkeling is better than a bad hour of diving. I was snorkeling with my wife (non-diver) at the Christ of the Abyss statue in the Key Largo area last summer while my kids were scuba diving from the same boat. They ended up being grouped with a DM and two other divers of doubtful skill and experience who ran out of air early and had to return to the boat utilizing the Surface Swim Of Shame. My kids were displeased and I am quite sure I had a better time than they did.

As for what kind of snorkel, I find that I am indifferent and can have a really good time in the water with whatever snorkel is at hand. I guess I would say my favorite is an XS scuba "metro" snorkel that has a discharge valve so it is easy to blast clear, but that does not have the float valve typical of "dry" snorkels. It has a corrugated flexible section.

Metro

Now, when scuba diving, I rarely bring a snorkel. There are a few situations that call for it for reasons of safety in the event of an unexpected amount of time at the surface.

I see snorkeling as being one of the skills that is part of being an all-around waterman, like being able to swim, row, sail, fish, etc.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom