Votes: 12 5.5%
  • Fold up snorkel in BCD

Votes: 38 17.4%
  • No snorkel

Votes: 132 60.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

That's not really a surprise. Most posts on the board regarding snorkels range from indifference to disdain.

True, but I expected to see that most who do not wear one while diving, usually have one in the BCD as per my observations of those posts I see. This poll doesn't seem to show that.

True, but I expected to see that most who do not wear one while diving, usually have one in the BCD as per my observations of those posts I see. This poll doesn't seem to show that.
I think an earlier poll showed a dominance of BP/W, which do not tend toward extra pockets unless they're added. Stowing a snorkel may not be sufficient motivator for adding a pocket.

I've bungeed one between my tank and wing but I also lost it that way, so.... Now I'm sidemount, but my current butt pocket is a bit too small for a full snorkel, after the DSMB, spool, extra light, and surface yellow trash bag, so still no snorkel.

We love to post about snorkels--how/when we use them, where we keep them, whether they are good or bad. The poll only asks about what snorkel one uses if any. I plead guilty as well. Now, let's discuss log books....

I use a Scuba Pro Verve. Works fine.

I generally only use it at the beginning of a dive with a surface swim, as I prefer to save air for the dive. Especially in rougher waters.

I have the attached snorkel, a DSMB (on a small 25' jump spool), and a spare mask in my wetsuit pocket.

Before I got the pocket, I just bungeed the snorkel thing to my hip D-ring, very unobtrusive. Many other divers that saw it wanted to get one too, especially because the only reason people carry these stupid things is because it is required by law here.

Attachments

• aqua-lung-nautilus-folded-snorkel.jpg
    aqua-lung-nautilus-folded-snorkel.jpg
    76.8 KB · Views: 76
I have the attached snorkel, a DSMB (on a small 25' jump spool), and a spare mask in my wetsuit pocket.

Before I got the pocket, I just bungeed the snorkel thing to my hip D-ring, very unobtrusive. Many other divers that saw it wanted to get one too, especially because the only reason people carry these stupid things is because it is required by law here.
Is it a law that you must wear one on your mask or have one on your person? Interesting law, considering the host of more dangerous things that can happen with scuba.

To me, snorkel is for snorkeling, not for diving. If you strap it on your mask while diving, it may lead to a potential problem of entanglement in overhead / narrow passage. In a fast current, the snorkel would flap around, pulling the mask strap and it may cause the mask to leak. Having non functional tube with mouthbit end poking my cheek every now and then underwater is just a distraction.

To me, snorkel is for snorkeling, not for diving. If you strap it on your mask while diving, it may lead to a potential problem of entanglement in overhead / narrow passage. In a fast current, the snorkel would flap around, pulling the mask strap and it may cause the mask to leak. Having non functional tube with mouthbit end poking my cheek every now and then underwater is just a distraction.
See post # 64.
I rarely use my foldable one. An attached one also may NOT lead to entanglement or flapping in currents if you are not diving in those situations. Thus, some people like them for surface swims.
When I did wear one religiously, it never caused my mask to leak, though I THINK it did poke my cheek occasionally (with a hood, it was hard to tell).

Is it a law that you must wear one on your mask or have one on your person? Interesting law, considering the host of more dangerous things that can happen with scuba.

You have to have a snorkel and safety sausage (SMB, not necessarily DSMB) on you, so no need to have it dangling off your mask, that would be even more dreadful.

Most dive operators will ask you whether you carry it, but nobody ever wanted to see any of it. One day I may leave it at home :troll:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom