Votes: 12 5.5%
  • Fold up snorkel in BCD

Votes: 38 17.4%
  • No snorkel

Votes: 132 60.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Why in the world would you have a snorkel if you want to go diving? Being a minimalist I'd leave things that rarely if ever get used at home (aka useless crap). On a tangential note consider going down to Goodwill. You can unload all your stuff you don't use, including your snorkels, and get a tax deduction too boot. April 15th is coming!

I'm a fairly inexperienced diver. The PADI OW course extols the virtues of bringing a snorkel.

DIR philosophy which I admire (as a philosophy) says to ditch it.

I've heard of (but not run into) dive operations that will not let you dive w/o a snorkel.

My SO won't dive w/o hers.

I lost mine on a trip (where I was not using it). Haven't used one since. And I don't feel dirty.

Every year for ten years i have been honored as the first presenter at the annual SLO (San Luis Obispo) Sheriffs UW S&R Dive conference.
My presentations are always historical based on a in-depth researched item or event in the very short history of recreational diving.

This year my subject was "Dive Manuals "
(Dr. Sam Miller III Dive Historian -- Published UW Photographer and Author
“Early Development of Recreational Training Manuals”)

The exposure to recreational diving in the US began in 1948 with the showing in movie houses all across the US of the late great Hans Hass B&W movie "Under the red Sea" and the late James Dougan's article about "Cousteau Divers" in a scientific magazine.

The first dive manual was printed in February 1949 in NYC .
This was the basis for the manuals produced by Rene Bussoz when he established Rene Sports in Westwood, California and became US Divers in 1952. In 1954 US Divers was sold to JYC and his investors and the original manual cover was changed with the picture of JYC & Emil Gagnon on the covers-theses were produced until around 1960

in 1954 the first two true recreational diving manuals appeared LA County's Diving Safety
and the late ER Crosses manual of the same name Diving safety.
In 1955 LA Co changed the name of their manuals to Underwater Recreation so as not to be in conflict with ER. - Both manuals stressed learning Skin ( Snorkeling) and followed by the use of the Aqua Lung -- SCUBA was not in common use at that time

In 1957 Bernie Empleman et al produced a manual titled The Science of Skin and SCUBA diving which was changed in 1959 to The NEW Science of Skin and SCUBA diving. Note "Skin & SCUBA " diving .

These manuals served as the basis for manuals which followed which are too numerous to list ,. but were produced by individuals and most of the dive companies and training organizations to promote products or their agency.

La County's Recreational Diving and The New Science of Skin and SCUBA was continually up dated and were/are possibly the two best sources of dive training at a particular time in history, They both stressed Skin ( aka Snorkeling / free diving ) as a component of complete dive training.

The last diving manuals of NAUI & PADI produced I the early 1980s stressed Skin (snorkeling ) followed by SCUBA training ..An interesting note - the1984 PADI dive manual was written by a NAUI instructor and assisted by several LA Co UW instructors.

Then around 1980 Skin diving was deemphasized and the diving population was not taught to 'Snorkel" This as resulted in the current crop not having training in snorkeling or considering it a component of modern diving, What a shame!

Now it is possible to walk down a diving beach or set on a dive boat and the divers who were trained after 1980s by the lack of a snorkel on their mask and the requirement that they have a Qualified Dive Master to guide them and hold their hand on the first 100 dives- or during their generally short diving career

Interesting how equipment and training has changed..

Sam Miller,III

PS,, dive manuals are still cheap and readily available on the used book market, they offer a glimpse in the history of diving - equipment and training procedures at the particular time of their publication. sdm

Attachments

• upload_2019-3-16_7-32-33.png
    upload_2019-3-16_7-32-33.png
    277.1 KB · Views: 106
4-Snorkel-Types.jpg

Just for the record, one of the PADI manuals on my bookshelf classes snorkels as follows: J-shaped; L-shaped; Flexible-hose; Contour. The four types are illustrated above with models from my snorkel collection. If anybody's still interested, however, length, inner diameter and/or cubic capacity are much more important factors for health and safety reasons when choosing snorkels. All national and international standards on snorkels take care to match these parameters to their end-users' age, height or lung capacity.

what snorkle? kept mine until the class was over because it was required, as soon as that was done I removed it and tossed it in my bag and there it stays....

I did all my certifications in 1993 and between then and 2018 I never thought to question the use of a snorkel. It wasn't until my daughter was getting OW certified in 2018 and the snorkel kept getting tangled in her hair that I began to think about it. After research and seeing posts on this forum made the jump to foldable pocket snorkels for both of us. What a difference that makes! A lot more freedom, risk of entanglement reduced etc. Only time I will whip out snorkel now is to conserve air and make breathing easier on long surface swim (i.e shore entry or long surface swim to decent site), but before decent it comes off and goes in pocket.

My experience with the foldable snorkel was good. It consisted of trying it out once. On very rare occasions I will take it in the pocket--if any chance of being further out from shore then desirable due to current, etc.

My LDS has those, maybe I try one. The reasons you sighted are the only reason I want one.

I keep one in my dive bag but haven't used it in years.

There's been times when I wished I had it, such as when I've come up with near zero air and had to surface swim for 100 yards or so to get to the boat. That swim would be a lot easier with my face in the water and breathing thru a snorkel.

The main reason I stopped using one is the line from my speargun getting wrapped around it when I shoot a fish. He's pretty much gonna take off like a rocket for a few yards at least, and if the shockline wraps around the snorkel, my mask is sure to get snatched off.

I don't like the "roll up ones" because they are too "flappy".
Ideally I'd like to have a pocket on my thigh about 14 inches long and a few inches wide that I could slip it in where it would be out of my life but still available if I needed to do that surface swim.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom