Votes: 12 5.5%
  • Fold up snorkel in BCD

Votes: 38 17.4%
  • No snorkel

Votes: 132 60.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I used to leave the snorkle behind. Now I usually keep it closer at hand.

Several years ago, I fortunate enough to visit to South Africa, and as part of that trip, got to spend a day diving at Sodwana Bay. I did not bring a snorkle on the trip at all. There were two boats going out that morning. We were doing a reef dive, and the other was looking for whale sharks. Halfway to the dive site, the captain killed the motor and told us to jump in (no diver gear was on yet) and start swimming.

Reason? We had come across a whale shark and were going to spend a few minutes swimming with it. I was the only one on the boat without a snorkle (mine was still in Canada). I was the guy swimming around raising his head out of the water periodically to huff air, and it seemed like each breath was a second away from the magnificent fish.

After about 15 minutes with the whale shark, we got back on the boat and proceeded to the dive site for a very memorable dive. And oh yeah-- the boat that was looking for whale sharks never found one! :)

Since that experience, I am much less inclined to abandon my snorkle. It doesn't take much space or weight, and I never know if it may come in handy.

What is "contour snorkel"? One with accordion and valves?

I went from standard one to foldable one in BC pocket to rarely using that. I still have it (was only $20US) and do take it if I think there is any chance an unusual current change could take me far afield. Otherwise, I fear it may slip out of the pocket with that 10 pound weight behind the pocket.
I must have in the area of 20 snorkels that I have found over the years, some while diving, some topside. Possibly these are a result of divers throwing them away....?[/QUOTE

I managed to have mine pop out of the crappy factory retainer (Aqua Lung). I didn't notice it until I got back to shore and had the snorkel retainer on my mask strap, with no snorkel in the retainer.:oops:

I'm going to go out on a limb and guess that I'm not the only person that's happened to.

For me the discomfort of having it on my mask strap is unacceptable, even for free diving. What I do is carry it in my hand, tucking under my free diving belt sometimes when descending, or sometimes through the back of my bathing suit bottom ( if not in a wetsuit) like a little tail. Often I leave it behind even for freediving and breathe up on my back.

I have also stuck one through the front of my web belt scuba diving, but this is unsatisfactory. I have considered designing a sleeve for it to attach to my backpack plate.

Several years ago, I fortunate enough to visit to South Africa, and as part of that trip, got to spend a day diving at Sodwana Bay. I did not bring a snorkle on the trip at all. There were two boats going out that morning. We were doing a reef dive, and the other was looking for whale sharks. Halfway to the dive site, the captain killed the motor and told us to jump in (no diver gear was on yet) and start swimming.

Reason? We had come across a whale shark and were going to spend a few minutes swimming with it. I was the only one on the boat without a snorkle (mine was still in Canada). I was the guy swimming around raising his head out of the water periodically to huff air, and it seemed like each breath was a second away from the magnificent fish.

After about 15 minutes with the whale shark, we got back on the boat and proceeded to the dive site for a very memorable dive. And oh yeah-- the boat that was looking for whale sharks never found one! :)

Since that experience, I am much less inclined to abandon my snorkle. It doesn't take much space or weight, and I never know if it may come in handy.

I had a very similar experience in Thailand, but thankfully I did have my snorkel in my bag. A whale shark circled our boat during an SI, so I ran to grab my snorkel and a few of us jumped in for an unforgettable few moments with that beautiful creature.
I don’t wear it on a dive, but will always take my snorkel on the boat just in case there are snorkelling opportunities.

What is "contour snorkel"? One with accordion and valves?

upload_2019-2-4_10-35-1.jpeg

the mouthpiece does not drop away its in a fixed location not sure if they rotate or not

Good point! The same thing can happen here in South FL. It is definitely a good thing to have in the dive bag. I try and remember to toss mine in. I just never take in on the dive itself.

Back
Top Bottom