Technical Diving & Insurance

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

HMSA (primary), DAN Preferred (secondary), DEPP (some of the gear)

DAN Preferred and homeowner insurance for gear, though I notice that DAN Preferred does cover gear lost while diving only, and not camera gear.

DAN and an all perils / replacement cost rider on my homeowners policy for dive gear and camera equipment. I had great assistance form Wisconsin Mutual. Flooded my camera (Nikon D200 + new 60mm) on a trip to Wakatobi last fall. They had the replacement check in my hands in less than a week (including housing replacement). Phenomenal service.

Being a European member, I have all dive insurance via DAN Europe's Professional Insurance Range. This is for multiple reasons:

- with the so called "Silver Professional" option, all Technical Diving is insured to 150m (deeper dives can be insured on a dive-to-dive basis, after they have reviewed the dive plans for the individual dives)
- DAN Europe does not argue if something happens, they just pay, having the best interest of the patient in mind (I never had to use them, but all people I know that had to, were more than happy with DAN)
- part of the annual premium goes into Science and Research, sponsoring many very interesting projects
- DAN has never been reported to have tried to argue their way out of paying, or trying to proof that an incident happened due to some diver error; other insurance providers reportedly try to find reasons not to pay

I teach DAN's Oxygen Provider courses, am a DAN sponsor, and I am completely happy with them ;-)

DAN and homeowners policy with an itemized policy for the dive gear.

I have DAN Europe. It pays to read the small print though, they can be very fussy about depth. For example I'm not allowed below 40m on a single. I have to keep my END to less than 40m on TMX dives. You could easily be left high and dry if you're not careful.
That said everyone accepts DAN. In Israel DAN and their national diving insurance is the only one that will get you into a chamber.
Con's of DAN Europe; no coverage for Damage or theft of Equipment only loss on a dive. I don't think this is the case for DAN USA though, a friend has her G12 insured for damage.
The only option in the UK is to use DiveMaster insurance (that's the name, I swear). With them you pay a premium based on the cost of your equipment and they replace like for like.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom