Tech 1 Limits

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yah, I'm just saying that 45 minutes of obligation is quite a bit if you only have one bottle.

It is to me too.

Not so much to the UK folks who have AL7 (liters) and frequently use AL80s for T1. (whereas us US folks use AL40s with shorter deco times more commonly)

I haven't heard of alot of nightmares over there so it seems to be working for them.

In the training standards, the GUE Tech 1 limit states 160 ft. (+/- 10 ft.), which is where I got the 170 ft. limit. Card still has the depth stated on it.

The training standards seem to be meant to set limits on the course itself. The OP was asking about Tech 1 certified divers - GUE has removed the hard limit for certified divers.

I totally agree that I'm not doing 45 minutes of deco with one gas.

The training standards seem to be meant to set limits on the course itself. The OP was asking about Tech 1 certified divers - GUE has removed the hard limit for certified divers.

I totally agree that I'm not doing 45 minutes of deco with one gas.

I'm just telling you what I see in the training standards and what I'm reading on the GUE Tech 1 card. When did they remove the depth limit guidelines?

GUE has removed the hard limit for certified divers.

Seems like they're just writing it as maximum PO2 instead of a linear depth. Same effect.

I'm just telling you what I see in the training standards and what I'm reading on the GUE Tech 1 card. When did they remove the depth limit guidelines?

I understand. My C card from 2006 says 160' as well. Like rjack321 pointed out there have been a number of changes over time to the Tech 1 limitations. The most recent one, as far as I can tell, has been to remove the hard depth limit. Technical Bulletin 090904-001 does not have a date on it but it states that it supersedes the Technical Bulletin with the 160' hard depth limit. It is the most recent Technical Bulletin on the GUE site and reads:

GUE's original training limits were designed specifically to guide the training regime. They are not meant to specifically guide post course policy. This bulletin is to explain in more detail the post graduation recommendations. No longer will there be a depth limit on the 'C' card.​

I'm not arguing, I'm just trying to make sure that the answer to the original question is accurate. The accuracy seems to make particular sense given that GUE's Tech 1 recommendations are being compared to those of other organizations.

Seems like they're just writing it as maximum PO2 instead of a linear depth. Same effect.

True in one sense - they are not removing a depth limitation on the card. However, it seems to me that the effect is different. With one they are saying that 160' is the max depth, period. With the other they are saying an average PPO2 of 1.2 and an END of 100'. Also, at what depth do you have an average PPO2 of 1.2 using 18/45?

Its a mismash of ppO2 and deco time limits. If you were using 18/45 below 150ft you are probably constrained by deco time. If using 21/35 you're probably more limited by ppO2 and possibly deco time.

True in one sense - they are not removing a depth limitation on the card. However, it seems to me that the effect is different. With one they are saying that 160' is the max depth, period. With the other they are saying an average PPO2 of 1.2 and an END of 100'. Also, at what depth do you have an average PPO2 of 1.2 using 18/45?

What I meant by "same effect" is that they're still limiting depth, just indirectly.

If this were an agency that didn't employ standard gases, it would be a different story. But if the leanest gas you can get is xx% (in this case 18), and you have a hard PO2 limit, you are depth limited.

I don't imagine they'd encourage or endorse a bounce past 1.4, so even if you're calling max PO2 on the average depth of the deepest portion, you are still depth limited

I understand. My C card from 2006 says 160' as well. Like rjack321 pointed out there have been a number of changes over time to the Tech 1 limitations. The most recent one, as far as I can tell, has been to remove the hard depth limit. Technical Bulletin 090904-001 does not have a date on it but it states that it supersedes the Technical Bulletin with the 160' hard depth limit. It is the most recent Technical Bulletin on the GUE site and reads:

GUE's original training limits were designed specifically to guide the training regime. They are not meant to specifically guide post course policy. This bulletin is to explain in more detail the post graduation recommendations. No longer will there be a depth limit on the 'C' card.​

I'm not arguing, I'm just trying to make sure that the answer to the original question is accurate. The accuracy seems to make particular sense given that GUE's Tech 1 recommendations are being compared to those of other organizations.

Thanks for the clarification. I definitely did not take your comment as arguementative. I was just trying to better understand the guideline myself. Much appreciated.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom