DIR- GUE Why did GUE remove Tech1+ endorsement?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

probably depends on how strong you are. I can climb the ladder with my doubles on.
Small boats, like a Boston Whaler or RIB, are unlikely to have a ladder that you can climb up while wearing tech dive gear regardless of how strong you are. The usual procedure for re-boarding the boat is to clip your harness to a gear line, pass stages / scooter / camera up to the crew, doff your rig in the water, haul yourself over the gunwale like a sea lion, and then pull your rig up (maybe wait a few minutes so you don't bend yourself).

As others have pointed out, the only real use case for diving with one deco gas plus one bottom mix stage is doing two repetitive dives in the 150ft / 46m range on one boat trip where boat logistics don't allow for two sets of backmount doubles. I have had this come up a few times and it works fine, although it's rarely necessary, so it's not surprising that there was little demand for a specific training course.

On the other hand, it would be nice if GUE still offered something like the discontinued Tech 60 course targeted towards boat dives in the 200ft / 60m range. You can do those dives easily with (almost) normoxic 18/45 trimix in backmount doubles plus two deco gasses in 40ft^3 stages (no bottom mix or travel gas stages). This gives you access to a huge number of dive sites with simple dive planning and a manageable rig. The Tech 2 course, which introduces hypoxic 15/55 back gas and three stages (i.e. bottle rotations), is a big jump from Tech 1 and in practice seems to be a more than what many divers want. But apparently there wasn't much student interest in Tech 60 either. 🤷‍♂️

Small boats, like a Boston Whaler or RIB, are unlikely to have a ladder that you can climb up while wearing tech dive gear regardless of how strong you are. The usual procedure for re-boarding the boat is to clip your harness to a gear line, pass stages / scooter / camera up to the crew, doff your rig in the water, haul yourself over the gunwale like a sea lion, and then pull your rig up (maybe wait a few minutes so you don't bend yourself).

My boat has a ladder :)

Narrow mindset for narrow missions I suppose.
I say that as someone who dives a DIR configuration often.

This is why this forum should be closed.

I say that as someone who dives a DIR configuration often.
You may dive the configuration, but clearly you're missing the mindset. Sidemount off of boats? Don't make me laugh.

Quoted below are the sub-forum rules.

5. If you wish to seek non-DIR answers or give non-DIR answers, please use one of the many other forums on this board. Perhaps Advanced Scuba or Technical Diving would be a more suitable forum.
6. DIR topics are not restricted to only this forum. You're welcome to discuss DIR in any forum, but we ask that you don't dwell on non-DIR points within this forum.

Guidelines

Definition of DIR

The operational definition of DIR in this forum is the practices of the WKPP, and the GUE, ISE and UTD training agencies.

A ScubaBoard Staff Message...

The point of these DIR forum guidelines is to prevent derailing threads in the DIR forum with discussion of alternative non-DIR techniques, which could be discussed in other forums. A non-DIR sidemount solution was offered in a post above. Now move along. Bickering posts have been deleted.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom