Question How to practice deco ascents?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

thi
This GUE TV ain’t cheap :)
think of it as a tithe :p

That's actually one of the things I'm still trying to get better at, as I sometimes start kicking/moving my fins too much when I'm task loaded...
That's very common. When we're task loaded, we often revert back to what was comfortable before. My fins used to move all the time, much like my feet would often be tapping or wiggling above water. My GUE instructor worked with me on "quieting" my fins.

I made a concerted effort to keep my fins still and found that making sure that I was absolutely neutral before doing a task did the trick.

Sometimes you get to a new depth and immediately perform a task before ensuring you're neutral at that new depth. It's common for the fins to then auto-correct and hold the depth. It's ok to signal "hold" and take a second or two to ensure you're neutral and then task load. Hopefully that will help...

Sometimes you get to a new depth and immediately perform a task before ensuring you're neutral at that new depth. It's common for the fins to then auto-correct and hold the depth. It's ok to signal "hold" and take a second or two to ensure you're neutral and then task load. Hopefully that will help...
Yep, making sure I’m neutral before doing stuff is always a good reminder. And apart from the pure task loading shuffling of the fins I think there are two other contributing factors also during the ascent. One is I often feel a little front heavy when my doubles are low on gas, and I guess insted of correcting my body position I‘m sometimes kicking. This might also be compounded by heavy undergarments holding air in my legs and that I’m not patient enough when venting the drysuit to let air escape from the legs. The second is that I suspect I’m kicking every time i change position from venting the wing to venting the suit. In total that ends up being a lot of kicking…

Where do you keep your lead? You might actually be slightly top heavy over all.

Where do you keep your lead? You might actually be slightly top heavy over all.
4kg tail weight as low as I can on the tanks, 3kg on the belt. Its probably just my technique :p

4kg tail weight as low as I can on the tanks, 3kg on the belt. Its probably just my technique :p
I am sorry to say... but most likely...
Planlegger forøvrig dykk på Svestad på lørdag kl 10. Min form er litt ustabil om dagen, og det er første dykk tilbake, så jeg har lav terskel for tommel, men om du vil henge med så er du hjertelig velkommen.

Just a thought. Have you tried a v-weight instead of the weight belt or stuffing a higher proportion of your total ballast into the tail weight?

Back
Top Bottom