Tech 1 Limits

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I also believe there is a rather substantial gap between GUE T1 and T2 (150' vs. 250' dives, one vs. three+ deco bottles, etc).

That is not a true statement. The T1 depth limit basically boils down to and MOD of 180' and Tech 2 to and MOD of 240'. T1 has a max of 1 deco bottle and T2 has a max of 2 deco bottles.

So, with the T1+ rating you are going from a max 180' 2 total bottles to a max of 240' and 3 total bottles. You are adding some depth and the leash. That is really not that big of gap. I think it makes good sense.

Sorry, that was supposed to read "one vs. three bottles" (not deco bottles). The point is, GUE T1 has one bottle per dive (single deco bottle), while GUE T2 has at least three bottles per dive (one bottom stage, two deco bottles). It's good that they've added in a transition (stage bottle for T1+), but I think it would have been better to simply add a second bottle (as UTD Gold does), so either a stage or second decompression bottle. It's just a better approach IMO.

Also don't really get your comment about "By the time you're needed a t2 certification, proficiency in bottle handling shouldn't be a real issue." Before the GUE T1+, you didn't get ANY practice with more than one bottle, so you came into T2 with very minimal bottle handling skills.

I *think* that the t2 course is less involved than that. From what I've heard, most are using two bottles in class, with the option to add more bottles and depth after class (which is fine).

By the time you're needed a t2 certification, proficiency in bottle handling shouldn't be a real issue. And if it is, you shouldn't be doing those dives at all.

I *think* that the t2 course is less involved than that. From what I've heard, most are using two bottles in class, with the option to add more bottles and depth after class (which is fine).

2 deco bottles and in class and after class. To add another bottle you are supposed to get the T2 plus rating.

For any of you that are GUE Members you can get this stuff right form the source. Login to GUE.com> My Membership Benefits > Procedure Documents.

Still not keen on 180' with only one bottle, but that's just me (and I'm really not keen on 45 minutes of deco with only one bottle).

You still don't have any practice switching deco gases with the GUE T1+ (as opposed to the UTD Gold). I'd feel a lot safer building toward 180' and 45 minutes of deco with both 50% and O2. Just my opinion.

That is not a true statement. The T1 depth limit basically boils down to and MOD of 180' and Tech 2 to and MOD of 240'. T1 has a max of 1 deco bottle and T2 has a max of 2 deco bottles.

So, with the T1+ rating you are going from a max 180' 2 total bottles to a max of 240' and 3 total bottles. You are adding some depth and the leash. That is really not that big of gap. I think it makes good sense.

I agree with that, personally, but I also get GUE's point.

The risk in carrying two bottles is that a switch is made midwater which has the potential to be lethal (backgas to o2 instead of 50%). With the GUE t1 plus, the midwater switch is no longer a lethal option, as there is only one bottle with a high ppo2 gas.

By adding a stage, the diver gets to practice the components of a gas switch without the hazard of two deco gasses.

Oh, I get that, too. That's also why the UTD Gold class is two days (I assume), to foster enough practice so that the switch to 50% goes well. Trust me, it's because of this risk that I took the UTD class and didn't try to teach myself (which I would have been more comfortable doing if just adding the bottom stage).

I agree with that, personally, but I also get GUE's point.

The risk in carrying two bottles is that a switch is made midwater which has the potential to be lethal (backgas to o2 instead of 50%). With the GUE t1 plus, the midwater switch is no longer a lethal option, as there is only one bottle with a high ppo2 gas.

By adding a stage, the diver gets to practice the components of a gas switch without the hazard of two deco gasses.

The GUE T1 Plus endorsement allows for a bottom stage and increases max depth to 180' and deco to 45 minutes (all on only one deco bottle, which IMO, makes this stupid).

90 minutes backgas deco FTW.

GUE has removed the hard depth limit from Tech 1 in their Technical Bulletin 090904-001.

The 'depth limit' has come and gone historically. It existed for about 2 or 3 years. E.g. my first Tech1 card had no depth limits (or even bottom gases listed -it says nitrox and heliox IIRC) but my renewal had a 160ft(?) limit, 21/35, 18/45, 100% and 50% listed.

Part of the OP confusion is because the "limits" shown on the cards have actually changed pretty much every or every other year for the past 5 or 6 years.

90 minutes backgas deco FTW.

Nope. Share the 50% and extend by x1.5 in GUE land with only 1 deco gas. Thus 45mins max = 68 mins revised with 34 mins on 50% and 34 mins on backgas.

Yah, I'm just saying that 45 minutes of obligation is quite a bit if you only have one bottle.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom