Tech 1 Limits

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

b1gcountry

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
Can someone tell me the limits for someone certified Tech 1?

Max Depth?
Max # bottles?
Bottom stages permitted?
Any limitations on mixes? Min O2/Max He?

I'm pretty sure the max planned deco is 30 min, but I've heard conflicting details on everything else.

Tom

GUE Tech 1

Max depth: 170 ft.
Deco Bottles: 1 deco bottle
Mixes: EAN32, 50% O2, 100% O2, 30/30, 21/35, and 18/45
Max Deco Obligation: 30 minutes

I know that UTD Tech 1 is different. Hope this helps.

That does help. GUE lists training limits on its site, but they appear to be limits DURING class.

Thanks,
Tom

UTD Tech 1, 130'/39m, 25/25, O2 deco, max O2 time is 1 cycle (20 minutes).
UTD Tech 2, 160'/48m, 21/35, Nitrox 50 deco, max deco 30 minutes.
UTD Technical Gold, 160'/48m, 21/35, Nitrox 50 and O2 deco, max deco 30 minutes.

Jeff

I have both GUE Tech 1 and UTD Tech Gold Star. To date, I've usually tried to keep my dives to 165' max and 25 minutes of deco. 30 minutes on a single AL40 is pushing it in my book (assuming you plan for a reserve). With two deco bottles now, I'll probably start extending the deco a bit (and the max depth slightly).

Edit: UTD Tech 2 / Gold both allow for the addition of a single bottom stage (in which case, only one deco bottle). The GUE T1 Plus endorsement allows for a bottom stage and increases max depth to 180' and deco to 45 minutes (all on only one deco bottle, which IMO, makes this stupid).

GUE Tech 1

Max depth: 170 ft.
Deco Bottles: 1 deco bottle
Mixes: EAN32, 50% O2, 100% O2, 30/30, 21/35, and 18/45
Max Deco Obligation: 30 minutes.

GUE has removed the hard depth limit from Tech 1 in their Technical Bulletin 090904-001.

Tech 1.
The post graduation limits are not to exceed:
- Bottom gas oxygen content no less than 18%
- The GUE recommended PPO2 for the bottom gas being breathed (1.2 average PPO2 for the deepest portion of the dive)
- The GUE recommended END for the bottom gas being breathed (END of 100')
- A maximum of 30 minutes of unadjusted decompression (using Gradient Factor 30/85 Buhlmann, or Conservancy Factor 2 for VPM)
- 1 decompression cylinder

Tech 1 Plus (Technical Bulletin 090904-002)
After proof of 25 experience dives & an upgrade dive with a GUE Tech 1 Instructor.
- Gases: 21/35 & 18/45 backgas, plus one stage
- MOD: 180'
- Deco: one gas.
- Max Deco:45 minutes

GUE recently released guidelines for a Tech 1 Plus and Tech 2 plus.

The limits for T1+ are as follows:

T1 Plus (after proof of 25 experience dives)
Gasses: 21/35 or 18/45 back‐gas, plus one stage
MOD: 55m/180’
Deco: One gas
Max Decompression: 45 minutes

Whether 45mins of decompression on one bottle is wise or not is certainly debatable, but it fills the gap between T1 and T2 quite nicely. Along with this, the diver is expected to conduct a dive with a T1 instructor (or higher) to go over stage management and such.

Whether 45mins of decompression on one bottle is wise or not is certainly debatable, but it fills the gap between T1 and T2 quite nicely. Along with this, the diver is expected to conduct a dive with a T1 instructor (or higher) to go over stage management and such.

I also believe there is a rather substantial gap between GUE T1 and T2 (150' vs. 250' dives, one vs. three+ deco bottles, etc). I will say, however, that I think the UTD Tech Gold class fills this gap better than the GUE T1 Plus, since it covers the use of a stage bottle OR the use of a second decompression bottle (50%+O2). It's also a two day class vs. one day with the GUE endorsement.

The GUE T1 Plus endorsement allows for a bottom stage and increases max depth to 180' and deco to 45 minutes (all on only one deco bottle, which IMO, makes this stupid).

I have to agree. I like the T1+ to bridge the gap between T1 & T2, but I think it would have been better to set the standard to two bottles, rather than one stage and one deco.

Is it just me or have you and I had this discussion already?:D

I also believe there is a rather substantial gap between GUE T1 and T2 (150' vs. 250' dives, one vs. three+ deco bottles, etc). I will say, however, that I think the UTD Tech Gold class fills this gap better than the GUE T1 Plus, since it covers the use of a stage bottle OR the use of a second decompression bottle (50%+O2). It's also a two day class vs. one day with the GUE endorsement.

I *think* that the t2 course is less involved than that. From what I've heard, most are using two bottles in class, with the option to add more bottles and depth after class (which is fine).

By the time you're needed a t2 certification, proficiency in bottle handling shouldn't be a real issue. And if it is, you shouldn't be doing those dives at all.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom